Total War Developer Snags Warhammer

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Though I suspect they won't include them, I hope the Tomb Kings of Nehekara will be a playable faction/race/whatever they are called, this might just be what gets me into the total war games! Either way I'll likely play it, I've still got the Empire or Grandfather Nurgle to comfort me ;D

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
IamQ said:
Jandau said:
As far as I know, Spartan: Total Warrior was a failure in every way possible, so it's highly unlikely they'll be doing anything like that again.
Thing is though, even though Spartan Warrior failed, they still tried their luck with that viking game. And we all know how that went. Or, some of us do, since nobody knows that game even exists because nobody bought it.
Even so, the Warhammer license likely wasn't cheap. So if you drop all that money for an IP, do you go in the footsteps of your two biggest failures or do you play to your strengths? The only question on my mind is if they'll go for a full Total War approach or if they'll opt for a RTS-only affair, like Dark Omen or Shadow of the Horned Rat...

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
Considering a new team is being set up alongside the Total War team and the Alien team I dont think you should all be getting your hopes up for a total war style game just yet. It could be anything and considering it is a multi game deal i would think RPG's and whatnot would be where they are looking, so they could do sequels and whatnot. Then again they could do both a total war style game and an rpg instead, which would be absolutely awesome. (they cant get much worse than the crap that has been done with the warhammer fantasy universe so far at least)

IamQ said:
Jandau said:
As far as I know, Spartan: Total Warrior was a failure in every way possible, so it's highly unlikely they'll be doing anything like that again.
Thing is though, even though Spartan Warrior failed, they still tried their luck with that viking game. And we all know how that went. Or, some of us do, since nobody knows that game even exists because nobody bought it.
I actually rather enjoyed both Spartan Total Warrior and the Viking game (which recently came out on Steam as well) and whilst they weren't exactly the most complex of games they were still a lot of fun.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
sweet have not played a warhammer game since shadow of the horned rat. always prefered the fantasy setting over 40k

Aug 31, 2012
Yes...YES!!!....YEEEEEEESSSSSS!!! I don't really have much else to say. This is excellent news, I loved the Total war games and they fit nicely to an adaptation of WHFB. I'd like to see a full scale Total War game but I'm guessing that it would probably be primarily RTS without the empire building.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Gooooood. Very much looking forward to Creative Assembly's first outing on their delicious new franchise. Nom nom nom. Tastiness.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I would quite like it to be turn based/true-to-table style like the older Warhammer games (and of course the real thing) but either way Ill still be checking this out.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
This is getting bought, espicially if i can have a Deathmaster Snitch as that's the only character I can vaguely remember from Warhammer playing in my youth

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
Can't wait to see how they will Implement magic in the game. Hopefully for all 8 lore?s of magic as well as race ones. And Challenges, a must have when my Chaos Lord will cut down the foolish sons of the weakling empire down. Hopefully that warriors of chaos and daemons of chaos get their own different armys.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Jandau said:
Even so, the Warhammer license likely wasn't cheap.
No, it probably wasn't... so that makes it likely at least a few of the titles will be multi-platform, which means those ones won't be Total War style games.

(and if anyone wants to try and tell me that you can do a full scale total war style game on a console, just punch yourself repeatedly in the bollocks until the impulse to say such stupid things passes)

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Also, here is to hoping the Skaven are a playable faction. Please for the love of God, please let them be a playable faction, especially if Thanquol is a playable character.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
Jandau said:
Even so, the Warhammer license likely wasn't cheap.
No, it probably wasn't... so that makes it likely at least a few of the titles will be multi-platform, which means those ones won't be Total War style games.

(and if anyone wants to try and tell me that you can do a full scale total war style game on a console, just punch yourself repeatedly in the bollocks until the impulse to say such stupid things passes)
Because a shitty multiplatform game that nobody will buy is better than another PC-only top seller, right?

Look, I know you're trying to play devil's advocate here, but there is pretty much no way that they'll use this IP as anything other than a Total War style game or at least an RTS. The non-strategy games that TCA did were experiments and they all failed miserably, while Total War games, despite being PC-exclusive, keep bringing in the cash.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Are people missing that there have already been a very popular Medieval II Warhammer mod? It's probably where Creative Assembly got their inspiration.

And oh, I know it probably won't happen, but IN THE NAME OF THE HORNED RAT, LET ME PLAY SKAVEN!.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"a Warhammer experience that videogamers will absolutely love."

Well, that's a relief, I was sure the PR guys were going to tell him to say it'd suck.

But yeah, WHFB game. May it have chaos dwarfs with big hats, and fimir, and not be retconned away in two years when the fate of the world isn't decided once and for all.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ASnogarD said:
I see , see ... see.

A re-skinned Total War game sold for full price, with all the interesting units sold as add on DLC, oh and the blood and gore will be extra please.

... hey at least they may tack on some pointless MP thats open to abuse and grieving if your really unlucky.

This isnt Creative Assembly at fault though, Sega are scraping the barrel and desperate to hang on to any cash they can lay thier hands on so will DLC the crap out of it.
CA though will be force to release the game before its ready, patch in some features late and fix it post release... and CA doesnt do AI very well so expect to see Orks that are even more stupid than canon dictates, and cheating CPU opponents in the strategic (world) sections.
So many assumptions I don't know whether or not you are being serious. Unless you're a former Creative Assembly employee you're post here seems to be pessimistic speculation.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Well its based on my experience with Total War: Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2... you can also toss in Sega's management of the AvP3 IP.

The CA games all launched buggy as hell and required patching to get to a working state, especially performance... Shogun 2 had its much vaunted Dx11 feature patched in ages after launch, and each of the Total War titles had DLC units in spades... and Shogun 2 had a gore DLC that added blood effects.
AvP3 developed by Rebellion and published by Sega, launched buggy, and DLC came before the first patch... the promised dedicated server tools came ages after launch.

I believe the issue is to do with Sega, and them aggressively pushing dates even if the product is not ready... they tend to prioritise the accountants opinion over the developers.... hence my aphrehension.

I cant see CA making a brand new engine for the Warhammer game so I believe they will merely mod the most up to date version of thier TW engine... and the AI for all the TW games was always the worst part of the games, not many dispute that opinion.