Total War Developer Snags Warhammer

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Wasn't a big fan of Shogun 2, however I still like the company, it was a solid game, but not to my personal tastes. As a long time Warhammer Fantasy player and fan, this is really exciting!

I'll be following this closely for sure.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
This is the kinda crossover people have joked about would be awesome in relevant threads, its mindblowing that its actual reality :)

Looking forward to a decent warhammer game now, last i played was Dark Omen.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Actually I'm wondering if they'll even do it as an RTS game. Personally I'd like them to take a shot at doing a smaller scale version of a RTS like Warhammer 40k did with DoW2. I mean everyone knows Creative Assembly for the Total War series but people forget they tried their hand at a God of War knock off with Spartan Total Warrior. I personally suspect that's more what we can expect from them. Unless they don't have a another total war game planned after Rome 2 it would be dumb for them to put out a Warhammer version of the Total War games that would compete and take money from the same audience they rely on for their total war games.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Hmmm... Comment section is split between "OMG NERDGASM!!!" and "There is a mod that will still be better than the full price crap they release."

But you know what i'm new to the Total War stuff and creative assembly has a good track record as far as i have read, so i'll do what i normally do and play the wait and see game. Be interesting to see what they come up with.

Still want Total War: Warhammer 40,000. Screw THQ.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Wow, that's some really out-of-the-blue but incredibly awesome news. Can't wait, but I hope by the time the game comes out, darth comes back to the modding scene

rayen020 said:
Hmmm... Comment section is split between "OMG NERDGASM!!!" and "There is a mod that will still be better than the full price crap they release."
Both of those are true, imo.

Creative Assembly creates amazing, but incredibly flawed gems that require player made mods to bring them to true potential.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Hammeroj said:
This is extremely good news, I've long waited for a fantasy Total War game. The potential is insane. Let's just hope Rome 2 turns out to be worth attention, though, first.
If you wanted a fantasy Total War, in the meantime you could try Third Age: Total War, which is an excellently made Lord of the Rings total conversion mod for Medieval 2

sebashepin

Dec 25, 2009
I would actually prefer they did something between their Total War series and Kingdom Under Fire. I think it would benefit greatly from such a mixup.

Anyway, go CA!

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Hammeroj said:
dyre said:
Hammeroj said:
This is extremely good news, I've long waited for a fantasy Total War game. The potential is insane. Let's just hope Rome 2 turns out to be worth attention, though, first.
If you wanted a fantasy Total War, in the meantime you could try Third Age: Total War, which is an excellently made Lord of the Rings total conversion mod for Medieval 2
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a fan of mods of this scale. Lack of polish and all that.
I hear you (have you seen that World War 1 mod? ouch), but in this case it's pretty damn polished. Total conversion mods tend not to be very polished, but that doesn't mean they can't be. Give it a look at least!

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
This might be the only Warhammer anything I've gotten excited over. Neat.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Scorpid said:
Actually I'm wondering if they'll even do it as an RTS game. Personally I'd like them to take a shot at doing a smaller scale version of a RTS like Warhammer 40k did with DoW2. I mean everyone knows Creative Assembly for the Total War series but people forget they tried their hand at a God of War knock off with Spartan Total Warrior. I personally suspect that's more what we can expect from them. Unless they don't have a another total war game planned after Rome 2 it would be dumb for them to put out a Warhammer version of the Total War games that would compete and take money from the same audience they rely on for their total war games.
I will light the world on fire if another Warhammer game turns into a squad based piece of bullshit.

I know I'm extremely biased but when you have Tyranids in a Warhammer game and they fight in a tiny squad...

...GUH.

So freaking annoying!

Intergalactic War, millions against millions, and DoW 2 boils down to like...5 on 5.

But to each their own, folks who liked it cool, I just had my gaming heart tugged out by it.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Hammeroj said:
dyre said:
I hear you (have you seen that World War 1 mod? ouch), but in this case it's pretty damn polished. Total conversion mods tend not to be very polished, but that doesn't mean they can't be. Give it a look at least!
I've seen some pictures and videos of the Warhammer one. Unless you're saying Third Age is far above that, I'd rather wait for a full release. Being the cynical asshole that I am I can barely get myself to play games as is, playing a mod that is likely a reskin with crappy models and animations/bad integration of the fantasy elements or whatever other problems are almost inevitable to exist within such a mod would make me real sad.

With that said, CA, if you're even thinking about not making that a Total War style game, I'm going to find you. You're dead men walking.
Third Age: Total War looks a lot better than the game it's modded from (Medieval 2). Let's face it, some of the units in Medieval 2 were pretty ugly; the modders had much better artistic direction and a lot more attention to detail. The integration is quite good; all the events make sense, and I believe the developers used the Silmarillion as source material, so it's an accurate depiction of the cultures and factions of Middle Earth, not just what little you see of Middle Earth in the LoTR series. All the factions have a completely unique set of units, heroes, buildings, events, etc. Last I checked, they're even working on an interesting "Fellowship" campaign in which you just control a few heroes, not armies, but I don't know what the progress is right now.

Do whatever you want, I guess. I'll just leave this here...
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=500418

I don't know how well the Warhammer game will come out, but consider this: do you prefer the CA that made Shogun 2, or the CA that made Medieval 2?

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
TCA haven't said any of the titles will be Total War style strategy games... for all we know they're slated to shit out a bunch of warhammer fantasy flavoured versions of Spartan: Total Warrior.

Any other parades I can piss on?
Well I enjoyed Spartan: Total Warrior, except for the BS final boss. So I wouldn't be sad if that happened, though a proper Total war would of course be much better better.

And I there was me lamenting that there were no games on the horizon that I was really psyched about and would auto-buy. That has now changed.
Realitycrash said:
Are people missing that there have already been a very popular Medieval II Warhammer mod? It's probably where Creative Assembly got their inspiration.

And oh, I know it probably won't happen, but IN THE NAME OF THE HORNED RAT, LET ME PLAY SKAVEN!.
My money would be on all Skaven or no Skaven. Either way, I'm in.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Hammeroj said:
dyre said:
Third Age: Total War looks a lot better than the game it's modded from (Medieval 2). Let's face it, some of the units in Medieval 2 were pretty ugly; the modders had much better artistic direction and a lot more attention to detail. The integration is quite good; all the events make sense, and I believe the developers used the Silmarillion as source material, so it's an accurate depiction of the cultures and factions of Middle Earth, not just what little you see of Middle Earth in the LoTR series. All the factions have a completely unique set of units, heroes, buildings, events, etc. Last I checked, they're even working on an interesting "Fellowship" campaign in which you just control a few heroes, not armies, but I don't know what the progress is right now.

Do whatever you want, I guess. I'll just leave this here...
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=500418
Guess I'll have to download it this weekend, then.

I don't know how well the Warhammer game will come out, but consider this: do you prefer the CA that made Shogun 2, or the CA that made Medieval 2?
I was about to say the same thing in my first post in this thread, but for the sake of not appearing as the cynical asshole I already called myself, I didn't. Shogun 2 is at the very least unsettling in its changes to the franchise and how they bode for the future (as opposed to Medieval 2). I don't think it's at all likely the real-time portion of the game would get screwed up beyond being enjoyable (after all, we're talking massive armies and huge creatures pummeling the shit out of each other), but the turn-based stuff, yup. I fucking hate the misguided attempts at "streamlining" coupled with idiotic research and skill trees and whatnot. From what I remember, anyways. The game was bland as hell. So to answer the question directly, I would prefer the CA that made Medieval 2, however unlikely and naive that sounds.

But since you brought it up, I'm curious as to what it is that turned you off from Shogun 2.
Hah, I win! I mean, I hope you enjoy Third Age. I certainly did.

About Shogun 2, I didn't like, in no particular order
- extraordinarily simplified tech tree
- units sprinting across the map; much less emphasis on strategic maneuvering
- boring naval battles
- same retarded battle AI, except even the modders haven't fixed that yet
- each faction plays in a very similar manner. It's literally "we have one different unit type apiece." Contrast to Medieval 2, in which your geographic location, your religion, as well as in-game choices like your style of diplomacy could have huge consequences that make each game different
- minimal unit variety. Whereas I might really look forward to developing the tech and infrastructure for Pavise Crossbowmen or dismounted knights or w/e in Medieval 2, I get pretty much all the generic units I need in Shogun 2 right from the start.
- almost forgot, archers with apparently guided arrows. Though, this is more of a minor pet peeve
- oh, and that event in the middle of the campaign after which everyone hates each other. I think it got modded out later though

edit: accidentally posted mid-post. Finished now

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Khaine demands a sacrifice!
Why would anyone not serve the bloody handed god of murder? Also death to the false elves!

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Hammeroj said:
dyre said:
- units sprinting across the map; much less emphasis on strategic maneuvering
Wait a minute, are you saying units in Shogun 2 couldn't run out of stamina?
- each faction plays in a very similar manner. It's literally "we have one different unit type apiece." Contrast to Medieval 2, in which your geographic location, your religion, as well as in-game choices like your style of diplomacy could have huge consequences that make each game different.
Goes with the setting, I suppose. Rome 2 should be bringing back some of that uniqueness to the different factions.
It took much longer for them to tire out, but more importantly, the units themselves were just massively sped up. Walking Yari Ashigaru would probably move faster than running Sergeant Spearmen or Line Infantrymen.

Yeah, I hope Rome 2 brings it back. I sort of want to try Shogun 1 to see if the factions are as bland...