Total War Developer Snags Warhammer

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Ed130 said:
I thought Dark Elves road Cold Ones aka Dinosaurs as their cavalry mounts.
They are the heavy cavalry, I just like dark riders as the are a good light cavalry who don't go stupid.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
I am two ways. On the one hand, they made Total War...which I haven't played, but I respect enough to let it do it's own thing.

However, on the other...they did make the epic fail that was Stormrise.

I'm gonna wait and see what happens.

CAPATCHA - No Regrets.

Actually, I regret ever thinking Stormrise ever had any potential. Third Person RTS games NEVER work!

BroJing

Sep 16, 2010
Jandau said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
TCA haven't said any of the titles will be Total War style strategy games... for all we know they're slated to shit out a bunch of warhammer fantasy flavoured versions of Spartan: Total Warrior.

Any other parades I can piss on?
Well, you're hardly tinkling, it's more like slight incontinence on your part... :p

As far as I know, Spartan: Total Warrior was a failure in every way possible, so it's highly unlikely they'll be doing anything like that again. On the other hand, TCA can do one game type and one game type only, and they've gotten pretty good at it over the years. Total War games sell, are praised by critics and gamers alike and have been getting better and better over time. So while what you suggest is in the realm of possibility, I find the 2012 apocalypse more likely. ;)
I actually kind of enjoyed it up until the guarding Archimedes mission which was fucking awful.

OT: I think this could be awesome but will kick it up a notch to super awesome if some of the unofficial races get added in...basically I just want the Norse.

SniperMacFox

Suffer not the Flamer to live
Jun 26, 2009
Scrolling down the thread, I think that news has gone down pretty well. Let's just hope that they don't make a Gotrek and Felix [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotrek_and_Felix] hack and slash like their Viking game [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking:_Battle_for_Asgard] from a few years back.

...What? Someone had to be a buzzkill. Yahtzee's busy doing actual work.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Major Tom said:
lRookiel said:
Just give me some Khorne Berzerkers and I'll be jumping with joy.
Berserkers are actually a 40K thing, so you probably wont be seeing them in Fantasy. But I suppose if you give some Chaos Warriors an extra hand weapon, a Mark of Khorne and a Banner of Rage, you get a similar sort of effect.
Awww really? Not really played anything from fantasy warhammer since Dark omen xD

Oh well, still really excited about this!

Kahani

May 25, 2011
This makes me happy. The Warhammer RTS games were fun, but they were basically wanting to be Total War before anyone had actually worked out how to do it properly. I just hope they can get the rights for 40K as well. The Dawn of War games were great, but I'd definitely prefer a Total War-style campaign.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
saintdane05 said:
arc1991 said:
Wasnt going to comment but i notcied your Knight Morpher Annihilator Avatar, i take it you are a fellow collector?
YES! It took this long, but someone knows what my avatar is! I've started my collection with this baby.

Beautiful, even if it comes with a carboard trailer.
Nice, im trying to get my hands on the first edition version :p

I started my collection with these 2, and i swear ever since i got them i have been addicted to ebay, which isn't good when Christmas is like 2 weeks away :(

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Kahani said:
This makes me happy. The Warhammer RTS games were fun, but they were basically wanting to be Total War before anyone had actually worked out how to do it properly. I just hope they can get the rights for 40K as well. The Dawn of War games were great, but I'd definitely prefer a Total War-style campaign.
Nah, doubt that would work. The original Dawn of War did 40k excellently, it was DoW2 that decided to fuck it all up. SPACE MUHREENS.

I hate them.

Warhammer Fantasy...however...fits Total War like a glove. Call it a 'reskinned Total War' if you want, but that shits all over the series, implying that Rome and Empire are the same game with different models. Is there a map anywhere of the actual Warhammer world? I don't remember ever seeing one outside of the confusing starmaps associated with the 40k lore.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Thyunda said:
Kahani said:
Nah, doubt that would work. The original Dawn of War did 40k excellently, it was DoW2 that decided to fuck it all up. SPACE MUHREENS.

I hate them.

Warhammer Fantasy...however...fits Total War like a glove. Call it a 'reskinned Total War' if you want, but that shits all over the series, implying that Rome and Empire are the same game with different models. Is there a map anywhere of the actual Warhammer world? I don't remember ever seeing one outside of the confusing starmaps associated with the 40k lore.
Yup, there is a map of the Warhammer world, and it looks a lot like ours actually. For some reason Dark Elves are actually Canadian and High Elves are Atlantians.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Scorpid said:
I actually didn't like it all that much honestly, I thought it was kind of neat but every side played more or less the same after only a few sit downs with it. Perhaps something more like Company of Heros was a better example of what I was thinking of, (another THQ game, boy I hope they stay around). Either way I doubt we'll see armies of thousands fighting each other. My point was they've gone in different directions before from RTS games and I think they will again with this one.
By contrast I liked Company of Heroes.

The content and the concept fit nicely with one another.

I felt like DoW2 was a game they made with entirely different assets, realized it wouldn't sell on its own and then added in the DoW franchise to sell it.

I'd give other examples of games that really feel like this but I'm a bit tired heh.

Again to each their own (for random people reading my comments), but for me it (DOW2) was a huge letdown.

If it had been even named "DoW: Squadoom" or whatever, something to signify a dramatic shift in game style, I'd have possibly liked it.

Ryank1908

Oct 18, 2009
I'd just like to point out that at no point in the press release did they actually say they were making a Total War Warhammer game.

I know, I know, it's pretty much guaranteed that they are... I just find the omission interesting.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Hurray!! I've always thought a neat Warhammer strategy title was something I've been missing, and it's neat to see a true and tested developer get to work on it!

Honestly, (proper) Warhammer-games have been fairly few as of late. I will keep my fingers crossed that the Lizardmen will be a playable faction, but any will be more than good enough for me. It will probably at least involve sending famished peasants to their doom in the frozen wastes.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Can't say I'm a fan of WH Fantasy, but this is still very good news and I'm sure CA will make a damn good game or 2 out of this. It also gives me much hope for the future if THQ goes under, because if CA does a good job then maybe GW will get them doing a 40k game too. That would be pretty fucking sweet indeed.