Total War game recommendation

Gill Kaiser

Sep 3, 2008
Shogun 2 or Medieval 2 depending on which era you find more interesting. Rome is also great, but quite dated. Here's to Rome 2 being next!

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Rome total war was a classic, medieval total war 2 was also pretty damn good, and I liked the recent shogun total war 2

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
As with many of the above suggestions, go for Rome.

The variation among the factions & units is broad, and the modding community is very good. I regularly get the updates for Rome: Total Reality, and it is one of the best games I've ever played. Medieval 2 is run off the same engine, but the expansions were more varied than for Rome (Barbarian Invasion excepted).

Empire & Napoleon have a vastly different feel, with a simplified building & diplomacy interface, and a few other different mechanics, but overall it's not much different except 'guns' and playable naval battles (the biggest draw of it, IMO).

Shogun 1 and Medieval 1 are still good games, except with shit graphics. Shogun 2 is pretty good (playing it atm) if a bit monotonous in mid-campaign. It is good in that the late-campaign is very frantic unlike all the others.

Or, you can wait for the new one to come out (granted, probably in a year and a half's time) and get your opinions off that.

lostlambda

May 19, 2011
Empire would get my vote for a great starter because of the uniform soliders across the factions leave it easy to pick up any faction and go plus the live navel battle where amazing but rome is still the best

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
i am new to Total War games and i have literally just finished my first campaign on Shogun 2, and i would recommend it, its absolutely amazing

and going by this thread, i am probably going to pick up Rome tonight

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Yes, Medieval 2 or Rome, depending what you like more.

Also: The Total War Games aren't that difficult, so don't be afraid. Compared to the Civilazation Games before the fifth one they are like fingerpaint. Don't even mention something like hearts of iron. ^^

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
Rome is by far my favourite, don't know much about mods or whatnot but it is the simplest of the ones i have played. Its just archers, foot soldiers, cavalry, spearmen, elephants, chariots and onagers. Its feels more tactical than the others because you win by commanding your forces well , not by having superior tech.

Mark Flanagan

Apr 25, 2011
Shogun 2 is great, But I love Med 2, Romes great as well but I find that if you go from the more recent games back you start missing some of the features (like the Politic AI in Shogun).

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
I like all of them....

But I'd say Medieval II and Rome are my favorites, and I would recommend Rome, just for the realism mods that were developed for it.

HerrBobo

Jun 3, 2008
Rome is the best, but is getting on now. Empire is good, if you want a huge map.

I'd go Shogun 2 though, it will take you back to the roots of the game.

Belvadier

May 17, 2009
Ultimately I went for the medieval 2 gold edition that I got for $5. Haven't played it yet but I am very excited to. Thanks everyone for helping me make an informed decision!

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Rome is the best vanilla game and has an good modding community

Exterminas said:
Yes, Medieval 2 or Rome, depending what you like more.

Also: The Total War Games aren't that difficult, so don't be afraid. Compared to the Civilazation Games before the fifth one they are like fingerpaint. Don't even mention something like hearts of iron. ^^
Apart from diplomicy which i think is hardcoded you can get some pretty decent mods to give you a challenge in what ever areas you like

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Rome's probably the best of them, but maybe it's gotten a little old. I don't know about Shogun II because I haven't played it yet, Empire's good but not great, so maybe you should go with Medieval II. It doesn't feel as old as Rome thanks to a better interface and the fact that it "flows" better, though to me it's not quite as good.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Medieval II. I loved playing as Scotland and going from one the smallest to ruling all of Europe.