Total War: Rome II Dev Details Post-Release Content

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013

Players can expect a bevy of free and paid content following the release of Total War: Rome II.

Creative Assembly, the developer behind the Total War series and the soon to be released Total War: Rome 2, has announced its plans to create a variety of extra free and extra content for players to enjoy following the game's launch. The first free bits of DLC are already lined up. Players who pre-order the game, for instance, will be able to download the Greek States Culture Pack as well as the Pontus faction at the game's launch.

Players can expect DLC well beyond what's included in the game's pre-order bonuses, however. Creative Assembly already has plans for multiple Culture Packs that will add more factions and units. Feature Packs, which will bring gameplay and aesthetic changes, and story-centric campaign expansions are also in the works. By October, for instance, players will have access to the free Seleucid Empire Faction, as well as the Nomadic Tribes Culture Pack as DLC.

Creative Assembly also plans to work hard on fully optimizing Rome 2 after it hits stores. "We will continually improve the game's compatibility, optimization and integral features such as AI and gameplay balancing post-release, and plan to add to that with new control schemes and additional free formats on other operating systems," said James Russell, the game's lead designer. Russel also talked about plans to support the modding community. "Shogun 2 is our most moddable Total War to date with over 500 user-made mods on Steam Workshop alone. We hope to support ROME 2 in a similar fashion." Total War: Rome 2 will release on September 3rd.

Source: VG247

Spaloooooka

Oct 5, 2010
Why is it no one ever seems to worship the ground these guys walk on for the way they treat their fan base? I'd expect Jim to brown nose them at least once :)

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
So, basically, they're taking core features from Rome and making them into DLC for Rome 2? Great...

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
That's fine. I'll wait until there is a gold edition on sale for $4.99, 5 or 6 years down the road. Great idea Creative Assembly!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Really excited for this, but that quote about Shogun 2 being their most moddable game to date is a total crock of shit. 500 skin retextures and rebalance mods does not mean it is very moddable. Until I see something like Call of Warhammer, Third Age Total War, Roma Surrectum 2, Europa Barbarorum, Stainless Steel, or Broken Crescent like mods being made for Shogun 2, Rome and Medieval 2 will be their most modified games.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Really excited for this, but that quote about Shogun 2 being their most moddable game to date is a total crock of shit. 500 skin retextures and rebalance mods does not mean it is very moddable. Until I see something like Call of Warhammer, Third Age Total War, Roma Surrectum 2, Europa Barbarorum, Stainless Steel, or Broken Crescent like mods being made for Shogun 2, Rome and Medieval 2 will be their most modified games.
I think they meant most easy to install mods. Shogun 2 is on the Steam Workshop where all you have to do is click a button and hey presto! You installed a mod. MUCH easier than what i had to do to get Stainless Steel to work. Worth it though.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
SacremPyrobolum said:
Soviet Heavy said:
I think they meant most easy to install mods. Shogun 2 is on the Steam Workshop where all you have to do is click a button and hey presto! You installed a mod. MUCH easier than what i had to do to get Stainless Steel to work. Worth it though.
How was Stainless Steel hard to install? You download the mod, and it came with it's own installer, complete with a lot of optional files to allow you to tweak your campaign experience.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
Soviet Heavy said:
How was Stainless Steel hard to install? You download the mod, and it came with it's own installer, complete with a lot of optional files to allow you to tweak your campaign experience.
I forget, I just remember having a hard time with it.

Probably had something to do with Steam and the files I downloaded always being corrupt.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Spaloooooka said:
Why is it no one ever seems to worship the ground these guys walk on for the way they treat their fan base? I'd expect Jim to brown nose them at least once :)
Because they also made Empire. Now they from Empire... but they still made Empire.

Also it's a lie that Shogun 2 is the most moddable one.

The fact that Medieval 2 has at least 3 total overhaul mods I know of that change the campaign map, every unit in the game, unique buildings and even add previously not present mechanics, makes Medieval 2 the most moddable game out there.

They did lock out a few things from the modding community to allow them to sell more DLC. Good DLC, but I'd still rather have Elder Scrolls Total War using the Shogun 2 engine than another faction pack.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
StewShearer said:

Russel also talked about plans to support the modding community. "Shogun 2 is our most moddable Total War to date with over 500 user-made mods on Steam Workshop alone. We hope to support ROME 2 in a similar fashion."

Don't try treat your customers like idiots. We all played Shogun 2 and saw the "mods" that were available. Some rebalancing and new textures do not stand in the same league as the entirely new games you could get for Rome and Medieval 2.
You gimped the modder's abilities so they couldn't just unlock your paywalled content that should have been available anyway.

I really do love the look of the game itself, but shit like this makes it difficult to justify giving these eejits my money.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
From the article:
By October, for instance, players will have access to the free Seleucid Empire Faction, as well as the Nomadic Tribes Culture Pack as DLC.
Does this mean that the DLC for the Seleucid Empire is free or is it part of the name, as in Free Seleucid Empire? Kinda confused here.

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
About the "most moddable" part, they did not say the most modded.
From what I've been able to pick up from some of the modding guys over at TWC it actually is, just a lot more harder than the pre-warscape games. No more just editing a text document.

SerBrittanicus

Jul 22, 2013
What I want to know is what the hell is with the weird Seleucid province map they have on the wiki entry http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Seleucid_Faction. I hope they haven't for some reason shrunk the empire down to a tiny size for some unknown reason - I refuse to believe they couldn't balance it with the full sized empire - they are surrounded by powerful enemies afterall.

cahtush said:
About the "most moddable" part, they did not say the most modded.
From what I've been able to pick up from some of the modding guys over at TWC it actually is, just a lot more harder than the pre-warscape games. No more just editing a text document.
I also spend a lot of time on TWC and I agree that it probably is a more moddable engine especially with the release of the Assembly kit recently. However, as you say it is more difficult to mod, but there are some threads over there and some very clever people trying to find ways of making it easier.

rofltehcat said:
Does this mean that the DLC for the Seleucid Empire is free or is it part of the name, as in Free Seleucid Empire? Kinda confused here.
It is free - according to the wiki it is the second of the free lc http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Factions.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
i am so much excited for this game it looks great it sounds great and hopefully it will be great. but i never got why they are releasing a day one free dlc. cant they include it in the game?

Germanicus said:
What I want to know is what the hell is with the weird Seleucid province map they have on the wiki entry http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Seleucid_Faction. I hope they haven't for some reason shrunk the empire down to a tiny size for some unknown reason - I refuse to believe they couldn't balance it with the full sized empire - they are surrounded by powerful enemies afterall.
yeah. whats up with that? i mean this is the seleucid map in game

and this is the real map. i see no reason why they have to fuck it up and not do what rome did. (showing only the border provinces of the empire)

and shogun 2, empire and napoleon were somewhat historically correct. i wonder if we will see the parthians too?

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
The Seleucids will also start with 4 or 5 client kingdoms that stretch it out, or so I have read. In theory, they have at least nominal control over 24 provinces and direct control over 6 of them.

Shogun 2 is the most moddable, and they even recently figured out how to make custom maps. So we should be seeing some pretty impressive mods for Rome 2 as the total overhauls become plausible once again.

EDIT: The Day One DLC is basically a way to keep people from pirating the game. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but it half the factions can only be patched in via Steam, then people who may have been on the fence will hop over. I have also heard that they were given a DLC budget from Sega, but they may not have been given an order on how to price it, so it may just be their method of using up the DLC money while still giving customers the game we all wanted.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Do you remember the days of rome and medieval 2 when the playable Factions were just part of the damn game, not had to be paid for afterwards?

I have to say after Empire and Shogun my goodwill for these guys from rome and medieval 2 is shrinking and shrinking.

Spaloooooka said:
Why should i worship them, for making me pay for content that should already be in the game?

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Amaror said:
Do you remember the days of rome and medieval 2 when the playable Factions were just part of the damn game, not had to be paid for afterwards?

I have to say after Empire and Shogun my goodwill for these guys from rome and medieval 2 is shrinking and shrinking.

Spaloooooka said:
Why should i worship them, for making me pay for content that should already be in the game?
Remember in Rome 1 where you only had 9 factions and had to mod the game to get more, and where only Rome was truely fleshed out? Or Medieval II where you had 18 factions, but about half were simply clones of others? Now, we have 10 different factions with fully fleshed out and unique tech trees, internal politics, and playstyles along with an additional 6 factions via culture packs (3 free if you pre-order) with unknown differences. To top it off, we have 500-700 unique units to form the unit rosters, no "Rebel" faction to take the place of minor kingdoms, and combat mechanics significantly superior to older games.