Total War: Warhammer Finally Gets Official Announcement

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Total War: Warhammer Finally Gets Official Announcement

"The tide of war seems endless."

We've known it was coming for a long time, but today SEGA has officially revealed their upcoming collaboration with miniatures wargaming juggernaut Games Workshop, Total War: Warhammer, by way of a cinematic trailer. The video shows the involvement of five distinct Warhammer Fantasy forces, including The Empire, Dwarves, Orcs & Goblins, Vampire Counts, and Chaos.

This is just the start. SEGA has stated that Total War: Warhammer is the first of three planned installments, and the games will be further expanded with additional content packs. SEGA claims the full collection will be, "the largest Total War experience ever."

Talk of the game first surfaced in 2012, when The Art of Total War [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120957-Total-War-Developer-Snags-Warhammer].

[gallery=4052]

The cinematics alone are enough to get any Warhammer fan's blood pumping. The only question I have is, when are we going to see some Skaven action? I love those furry little bastards.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i4d3ignBNQ]

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
The lack of any of the Elf factions or the Skaven in the trailer makes me think that they will be dlc. If that is the case then no matter how much I have wanted a game like this for so many years it can fuck right off.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Wake me when the chaos faction is tzeentch focused and plays like crusader kings but with a better intrigue system, skaven are a faction I don't have to pay extra for, or dawn of war 3 and/or space marine 2 has been announced...

Because, I'll say I'm interested in this but the factions need to run the way they're supposed to. For example, chaos, if it includes chaos then it needs cultists and if it has cultists then they need the ability to turn a society on its head from the inside.

And I doubt that kind of fun is going to be part of it.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Sorry, but I'm just not interested. Maybe I would have been a few years back, but since then I've developed an outright hatred for Games Workshop and all their greedy, shameless hackery and Creative Assembly have lost a few points of respect as well for milking the Total War franchise a bit too hard, putting out Rome II in a state that most people I asked said was disappointing, and allowing Total War: Kingdoms (another "insert money here to play" P2W piece of crap) to be made. Besides, from the sounds of it, this is going to be another incomplete, half-assed, skeletal framework of a game designed to hang endless amounts of DLC on, and those can fuck right off.

Call me a cynic if you like but, as Jim said this week [http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/04/the-jimquisition-star-wars-battlefront-made-me-realize-im-a-cynical-prick/], I don't see any good reason why I shouldn't be.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Another beautiful, but content-free trailer. Nothing to go on yet, but I'm happy they're not touting pre-order bonuses yet *cough* Battlefront *cough*

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well that was the quickest Chaos corruption I've ever seen. 0_0

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Hawki said:
Well that was the quickest Chaos corruption I've ever seen. 0_0
Well, he was reading a book dedicated to Tzeentch the changer of ways :p

I'll wait for reviews to roll in before I even consider purchasing this game. Got horribly burned on Rome 2, plus I doubt Tomb Kings (My preferred faction) is going to be in any of the first couple releases. (Anyone suggesting I just play Vampire Counts instead can go drink from the Fountain of Eternal
undeath
Life for all I care.)

Captcha: I like Humans
All hail our Captcha overlord!

ash12181987

Nov 9, 2010
Alright... if I can play Dwarves as an independent faction, Alien Colonial Marines will be forgotten Sega.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I can see myself getting this game, and all the DLC... on a Steam sale. I don't fancy paying for stuff that has obviously been cut out of the final product to be repackaged as DLC.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Cinematic trailers are cinematic trailers...

And those of the warhammer fantasy kind have allways been awesome... just think back on how awesome the warhammer online trailer and opening video was.

But they say nothing about the game itselfe, nor about the quality or DLC shenanigans...

Chances are the game will be piece mealed to costumers even more so then former total war games. That the AI will be a horrible mess just like former total war games. And that there will be horrible horrible graphic and game engine bugs galore. Atleast thats what has happened with almost all total war games to date.

So yeah.. im in the wait and see camp because warhammer fantasy is actually something that perfectly fits the total war franchise... as has been proven by the total conversion mod for medieval

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
So....does this mean my Medieval mods I've been playing for five years will finally get a graphics update? Cause that's all I'm understanding this to be as of right now.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
About time. But I won't pre-order. CA won't be able to rely on my blind devotion this time.

Make sure you do it right.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
I was annoyed the starting factions were restricted to only Greenskins, Empire, Vampire Counts and Dwarfs at first. But if you take into account how many factions there are in the game and how vastly different each one is in terms of art and play style, I think I'm ok with this. And yes, they're going to nickel and dime the crap out of each faction pack, no doubt about it. But at least in this case, each faction is actually different.

No more padding every faction out with generic 'spearmen' or 'militia' units like they do in other Totalwar games. If they can capture the complexity and awesomeness of each army, it might almost be worth the extra costs to unlock it. They need to be REALLY careful not to be too greedy though.

Couple dev replies from the reddit thread:

CA said:
The races in Warhammer are massively different in variation and content compared to factions we?ve depicted in our games before. Given the huge variety in creatures, characters and machines in the Warhammer world, we?ve decided to go deep rather than wide.
CA said:
We are planning full game follow-ups, DLC content packs and Free-DLC to follow the main release.
These will include new playable Lords, units, races and more.
We will talk about these in time, but for now, our focus is on crafting a deep, rich and content-heavy main game.
Take from those what you will. I'm still approaching this with massive skepticism, but at least the early indicators are they are trying to focus on quality and not quantity (which I think has been a big problem for them of late)

General Torg

Mar 12, 2009
If it releases in a playable state then at least it will be an improvement. I also heard that there is going to be 2 stand alone expansion this time, instead of the usual 1. Any ideas what those will be? End Times seems like an obvious choice, and maybe Storm of Magic or Sigmar's Rise.
As for there only being 4 playable factions I don't have a problem with that. They are adding a lot of stuff in this game: magic, heroes, flying units, giant monsters and magic wielding heroes riding giant flying monsters. Work on getting those things right with a few factions before trying to balance in the other 10+ armies.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Well, I swore that Rome 2 would be my last CA purchase, I give credit to them for coming up with gimmicks to make me interested at least.

Still not entirely sure if I'll pre-order. I have an uncomfortably few hours logged into Rome so far and as far as I'm concerned they didn't bother fixing the major issues before moving on to Attila.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I hope it's more of a Medieval 2 than the most recent TW games. Having a high variety of units is what I want, I like each faction to feel unique and not just have slightly different stats for spearmen.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
ron1n said:
I was annoyed the starting factions were restricted to only Greenskins, Empire, Vampire Counts and Dwarfs at first.
Where are people getting this idea? That trailer would seem to suggest some flavour of Chaos will be involved too, and I'd be very surprised (and horribly disappointed) if they were limited to NPC only.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Megalodon said:
Where are people getting this idea? That trailer would seem to suggest some flavour of Chaos will be involved too, and I'd be very surprised (and horribly disappointed) if they were limited to NPC only.
Because the developers confirmed those will be the initial playable factions for release in the main reddit thread.

My guess is Chaos will be some kind of adversary for all factions in the main campaign story. Probably will become playable at a later date.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
Like many others, I was burnt with Rome 2... so while I am interested, I won't be pre-ordering, and definitely won't be buying this at full price.