Totalbiscuit, Husky, and Pewdiepie are all going to be owned by Disney.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
Xeorm said:
I think you're a little more optimistic than I am about Disney not wanting to censor some of their new youtube channels. Never underestimate just how much power and how little restraint suits have in making big stupid changes.
Didn't they own New Line Cinema or whatever company it was that released Clerks?
Miramax, I already covered that. Nobody reads my posts. :( *goes to have a cry about it*

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010

The corps are active this week. Everyone's going "buy buy buy"! It's a good sign for the economy.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
The House of Mouse may be many things, not the least of which is evil, but they aren't stupid. They want to make money, and from what we have seen with Miramax and Marvel, that means letting the people who know what they're doing do their work and then getting their cut of the profits at the end of the day.

At worst I see nothing really changing, and at best I see just an expansion of the companies I question.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Khanht Cope said:
But it's still another step that helps separate the social elite from the common joe even further.
Not really. The application process for Maker Studio is not changing to my knowledge at all, and to get into the big leagues with Maker requires a lot of work. RPM isn't changing either to my knowledge, and Maker Studios owns them as well.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm more interested in seeing it from the other side to be honest. I can't see how Disney can have any affect on the channels and that's what's curious.

Disney aren't the sort of company that buys something out just to profit from the money it makes. They have seen some vision of the future that either involves those channels bringing value to Disney (by being a promotion platform? The next real medium?) or Disney bringing value to channels (access to Disney IP?). But I can't see how either of those work and I want to know how and if this vision of the future will be accurate. Do they imagine that production values in online video will eventually rise to the point where having significant resources behind you is basically a necessity? Or that this really will eventually begin to consume the Film/TV space?

Maybe they've decided that the next Jonas Brothers or Hannah Montanna is going to come from the online space, like Justin Bieber, and they just want to buy access to the sort of people who know how that works and how to put it into play. Of all my ideas, this feels the most real. Disney wants to own the dreams of kids at a young age and more and more, the role models that kids take are coming from Youtube instead of the TV. They need to be able to understand and publish Disney trained 'role models' on youtube and this buys them knowledge and leverage.

... still cross promotion on youtube channels is still really ineffective and unwieldy. I wonder if this is quite as good a deal as they hope?

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
So, Disney owns Game Grumps (Or Table Flip, the Game Grumps Spin off where Suzy Hanson and Barry... Barry, Play Boardgames and Card Games) now?

I never thought I'd see that happening...

Still, unless they do something really bad with the Youtubers/Blipers they own, I don't think this will be bad. Still, Disney is getting close to Trust Busting territory now...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
lacktheknack said:
TIL: Disney owns literally everything. O___O

This is a really surreal thread.
They sure do. After all, half of US politicians are in their pocket so they may as well buy the rest legally. Because its not wrong that a single company owns everything. right. guys. why are you leaving....

Weaver said:
TotalBiscuit actually put his thoughts on the acquisition on soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/maker-studios-acquired-by

Sounds like if they mess with his stuff too much he's just ready to bounce off the network.
sigh. Gone are the days when people would actualy bother to write their thoughts down so i coudl read it.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
So, Disney owns Game Grumps (Or Table Flip, the Game Grumps Spin off where Suzy Hanson and Barry... Barry, Play Boardgames and Card Games) now?
They don't own Game Grumps or Table Flip, but Polaris/Maker does own the set, the camera crew, sound equipment, cameras, and possibly the costumes and props*. Polaris also does all the editing.
It's a Game Grumps show owned by Arin and Suzy, but Polaris helps them make it in exchange for it being released on Polarisgo.com loooong before it reaches the Game Grumps channel.

*Suzy probably owns her dress, I know Ross owns his Dr. Who suit, and the props are exactly the type of stuff that Holly & Ross' house is full of, and some of it is the type of stuff Arin tends to own. And there's no telling what stuff Holly might've made for the show.

Strazdas said:
sigh. Gone are the days when people would actualy bother to write their thoughts down so i coudl read it.
Yea, because TB used to be SUCH a prolific blogger. *massive eyeroll*
That's like complaining that they don't make God Of War for the Super Nintendo.

Volothos

Dec 31, 2008
Game Grumps too.
I demand that TB and Arin somehow make a way into Kingdom Hearts 3

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Volothos said:
Game Grumps too.
I demand that TB and Arin somehow make a way into Kingdom Hearts 3
I think Square is calling the shots more and more on Kingdom Hearts.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Sean Hollyman said:
Good, maybe they will go full-on evil corporation and shut Pewdiepie down.
Guys, it's one let's player you don't like. Is it really impossible not to watch him? Is someone making you? And what happens if the good channels go down, huh? Is it still worth it then?

I feel sorry for whoever you hire as an exterminator, as it is very hard to get nuclear warheads.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
So how long until Disney starts buying countries?

I don?t think it?s really going to affect my favorite internet personalities, my guess is that it?s going to be similar to the feudal system in crusader kings 2, internet personalities are the counts who are ruled over by dukes like Polaris, they are ruled over by kings like video maker network who are ruled over themselves by the holy Disney emperor.

Disney doesn?t care what the measly counts do as long as they obtain some of their income.