Tracer #Buttgate - Shots fired by professional cosplayer at Heroes Championships

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
The_Kodu said:
Damn right, I'm impressed. I mean they've managed to get it so you can see her butt and the curve of her bust at the front in a single pose which by the looks of what I'm seeing is based off a pose of a pinup girl in a magazine.
I'm more impressed Blizzard managed to troll the shit out of both sides in a years-long, ongoing, pervasive balls-out flame war over sexism and representation of women in gaming for a week solid.

Though, looking at it again, there's some evidence the pose isn't quite polished yet. Her calf clips into her upper thigh, and the mesh at her knee looks a little distorted. I'm wondering if this is a quick, unpolished pose they added quickly in response to how strong a response they got to the original pose's removal.

I wonder how those on about how people should respect Blizard's artistic vision and not criticise the change etc are going to react or will they just kill the author and claim they know the artists vision better than the artist and Blizzard needs to change it?
I think the more pertinent question was if you were even able to keep a straight face while typing that.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Loop Stricken said:
BREAKING NEWS

The Buttgate pose has been changed!

Behold your new 'Over the shoulder' pose!

The butt remains!
To be frank, I supported them being able to take the pose out and I do like this. It really does seem more playful in nature.

So can we stop now? The pose was taken out and there's still a butt. Everyone wins.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Considering the new pose seems to bear a lot of resemblances to an old pinup... Well Played Blizzard... Well Played.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Gee, it's almost like the complaint was about the previous pose not fitting her character or something and not "T&A is bad".

Still, glorious victory against the SJW boogiepeople and all that, this'll show them.

Falling_v1legacy

No one of consequence
Nov 3, 2009
...soooo with the new pose is the controversy over now? Can we all go home? Because it seems that this topic was multiplying threads at an alarming rate over a pretty innocuous post. But of course nobody was offended in this whole kerfuffle except the OTHER side. Oh how offended they were.

Also.
@Kodu
Well as I previously said by that logic you can't object to things like the Indiana Jones Fridge scene or all the changes George Lucas kept making to Star Wars.

in this case it's criticising a change or element that doesn't make sense to change
Wrong, my friend. It was the 'how dare Blizzard get rid of the pose based on this post' that began the arguments by great calls to artistic freedom... the script was flipped to point out that artistic freedom includes the freedom to change an unfinished product (aka Beta) and to make changes as they sit fit using Feedback as a source. According to your argument, it would be the first group that couldn't criticize George Lucas. But I disagree with your false dichotomy because it misses the entire point anyways- artistic freedom is greater than the narrow argument that was really only trotted out because it could be wielded to revert a Beta change they didn't like. But while an artist has freedom to pick and choose how they respond to the feedback they receive, the critic, the reviewer, and the player/ consumer still can come in and evaluate, analyze, and critique the experience at the end. These are not mutually exclusive ideas. It was a silly argument wielded inappropriately by people that didn't want to see a particular change in Beta and some of us tried to show the silliness of it. That's all.

Cati

😏
Sep 4, 2014
Welp, at least it shows how ridiculous the "it's a pin-up pose" assertions about the first innocuous pose were :')

Jan 19, 2016
That's some next level trolling from Blizz right there.

"Pose is provocative, we'll change it". Replaces pose with a pin-up pose. Many lulz ensue at Blizz HQ.

If I were of a conspiracy theorist disposition, I'd almost suspect that the entire controversy was a stunt.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP! DON'T EVER AGAIN NAME SOMETHING "X-GATE"!! THE WATERGATE SCANDAL WAS NAMED AFTER A HOTEL!!!! IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH WATER!!!! YOU IMBECILIC TWAAAAAAATS!!!!!!

Ahem.

OT: Err... I don't really buy Blizzard games, and I'm not really that interested in Overwatch. Frankly, this stuff is getting way out of hand.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Loop Stricken said:
Lacedaemonius said:
Is it just me, or are these nontroversies getting dumber and dumber?
Butts are serious business.
Once, they tried to bury the butt, but the butt would not be buried. >.>

OT: So, new pose...kinda the same as the old pose. I have no objections to this, whatsoever. I say have both poses in-game and have the player choose which they want for their over the shoulder pose. Winning all the way around, imo.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
altnameJag said:
Gee, it's almost like the complaint was about the previous pose not fitting her character or something and not "T&A is bad".

Still, glorious victory against the SJW boogiepeople and all that, this'll show them.
Ahem. From the original "Fipps post", snipped for length and emphasized by myself,

WHAT? What about this pose has anything to do with the character you're building in tracer? It's not fun, its not silly, it has nothing to do with being a fast elite killer. It just reduces tracer to another bland female sex symbol.

We aren't looking at a widowmaker pose here, this isn't a character who is in part defined by flaunting her sexuality. This pose says to the player base, oh we've got all these cool diverse characters, but at any moment we are willing to reduce them to sex symbols to help boost our investment game.
This is an argument that sexualization is reductive to a woman character.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Why does everyone think the new pose is a troll?! That Blizzard handled this like super-mix of Daniel Ocean, The Dude, Captain America and DD tits on a slutty schoolgirl looking to change her grade?!

Do you not know how protests work?!

They removed the pose because it was called too sexual. People protested. They came up with a new pose that's different, but equally sexual. So now they can say they changed the pose and mollified the protesters.

That's not a prank. That's exactly how protests work. They won. Blizzard capitulated as much as possible.

They didn't have this new pose in the wings, ready to go, for months and months and months and didn't, planning cunningly in their Volcano Doom Fortress, waiting for the exact moment SJWs and non-SJWs come to a head again and they're swimming in bad press and BOOM! MUWAHAHAHAHAHA! IT WAS ALL OF CLEVER PLOY AND YOU FEEL INTO THEIR TRAP!

They came up with this pose in a desperate last ditch effort in the last week to save their new flagship title. It was a good move to do that, yes, but Napoleon they ain't.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
erttheking said:
To be frank, I supported them being able to take the pose out and I do like this. It really does seem more playful in nature.

So can we stop now? The pose was taken out and there's still a butt. Everyone wins.
I did find the original pose a bit... unrefined, and I concur- this pose seems playful.

As an aside, I really, really like the pose of her sitting cross-legged- I think it helps define her character quite well.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Dgezar said:
Right, because there's no way in hell their PR department and the artists/designers spent the weekend desperately coming up with a new pose all the while telling the protesters they've been working on a new pose for months and boy howdy wait until you see it!!

No no, you're right. They trolled us! This was planned for the very beginning! A week of dozens of articles and hundreds of YouTube videos worth of bad press, probably tens of thousands of Tweets and forum posts shitting all over them, ALL in service to this new, but slightly altered pose.
Because they were really proud of this new pose and just knew it needed a week worth of press before coming out.

Yup. That's Blizzard alright. Ingenious!