Trademarks Link Bungie to Potential MMO "Destiny"

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I would think Activision would never approve a MMO, especially when Blizzard working on Project Titan and Bioware's SW:TOR is coming out.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Interesting.
Though another MMO on the market right now seems crazy.
WOW has the vast hoards, with EVE filling the "Space" niche.
TOR is on the way, which also covers a more broad Sci Fi appeal.
And then to top it off Blizzard is already building it's new baby, "Titan".

It would seem mad for Bungie to try throw their hat into the ring as well, even more mad if Activision is the publisher now.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Destiny eh? My guess it's going to be an MMO which sees your character stranded in a distant galaxy. Enemies will include unappreciative fans and heartless tv network execs.

But yeh, as people say, I can only see another MMO having a tough time. With all the ones currently on (and due to enter the market) are there really enough gamers interested in playing an MMO, even if it is one by Bungie?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I reckon it's an RPG, not an MMO, although i could be wrong.

What ever it is, i trust Bungie, they have never let fans down before (and before any wise guy says Halo Wars...Bungie did NOT create that)

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I'd take that whole possible MMO rumor with a carton of salt. Didn't the same source that started that MMO rumor also claim that Bungie had laid off many employees when they did no such thing? Yeah that person claiming to be an ex-Bungie employee is almost certainly not one. As someone claiming to had just worked at Bungie should know whether or not there was a mass layoff of people there.

Personally, I'm hoping for a space sim shooter something along the reigns of Rogue Squadron or Star Wars Battlefront II's space battles. I want to think that the "Long Night of Solace" mission from Reach wasn't just something they randomly put in their for lolz. They were testing out a reaction to space combat.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
It may not necceserily be an archangel theme in space.
The pilots may simply be reffered to as the angel. You know alot of military groups do this sort of tign. Especially in games.

How do you do a trademark search anyway?

p.p: oh this justin bieber spam is making me dizzy X_X

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Azmael Silverlance said:
It may not necceserily be an archangel theme in space.
The pilots may simply be reffered to as the angel. You know alot of military groups do this sort of tign. Especially in games.

How do you do a trademark search anyway?

p.p: oh this justin bieber spam is making me dizzy X_X
By visiting the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's website and using their Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS): http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4003:j2pjdo.1.1

If you were, for example, interested in searching for trademarks held by Bungie, just stick the keyword "bungie" in the Browse Directory search option, click "Browse," and it'll pull all the trademarks that have been registered by Bungie. Voilà!

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
ratman995 said:
"would be "World of Warcraft in space" doesn't that already exist with eve online? I probably would only play an space MMO if it was A. Free and B. Had a player based trading system with a large playing field (not like black prophecy)
Just because a game is an MMO based in space doesn't make it WoW in space.

I'd be more than willing to pay a monthly fee for the game if it had a single universal server (no lame "shards" ala Star Trek Online), wild and interesting environments (read: Neil Gaiman on cough syrup), had a huge player driven marketplace (WoW's is too small) and a way for players to actually impact the game. Oh, and it can't be as boring as EVE and definitely can't be as cookie cutter as WoW. I know, wishful thinking.

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
manythings said:
A better question; Didn't they say a couple of months ago that they aren't, weren't and never were planning on producing an MMO after that whole thing where some magazine claimed someone had said something? When exactly were they lieing in all the situations they were contradicting themselves?

Betting on it sucking ass if it does exist.

EDIT: It also looks like the New England Patriots logo.
This post is wholly useless.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Carlos Alexandre said:
manythings said:
A better question; Didn't they say a couple of months ago that they aren't, weren't and never were planning on producing an MMO after that whole thing where some magazine claimed someone had said something? When exactly were they lieing in all the situations they were contradicting themselves?

Betting on it sucking ass if it does exist.

EDIT: It also looks like the New England Patriots logo.
This post is wholly useless.
I'll just leave you to figure out the irony... in fact I'll just leave this link here: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Irony

Use it to get a headstart.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
As much as I want to know more about Bungie is doing, I am more interested in the fact they supposedly set up a dummy corporation to protect this info. I seems a bit extreme to me.

It also seems like it would be illegal.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
well, if they are, space is a pretty blank slate, you can do about anything you want with it, I wish them the best of luck if they are and look forward to their work.

Edit:
Silver Patriot said:
As much as I want to know more about Bungie is doing, I am more interested in the fact they supposedly set up a dummy corporation to protect this info. I seems a bit extreme to me.

nothing extreme about it, they don't want people betting against them and all of that jazz that's currently happening with Bioware's MMO. When theirs a LOT of money involved I'm -pretty sure businesses will go the extra mile.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Silver Patriot said:

There's nothing generally "illegal" about a front company. Not unless it is actually used for an illegal purpose (e.g., avoiding taxes). But it is interesting to note that the registration on podophobia expired last year and the business was declared inactive by the Secretary of State 90 days later as required by law. Technically, they aren't allowed to conduct business anymore.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
MakazeX said:
Has anyone seen this:

http://www.podophobiaentertainment.com/
I suspect that it's a fake: http://feedthegamer.info/2011-05-22/update-podophobia-entertainment-website-not-registered-by-bungie/

ExplosionProofTaco

Nov 13, 2008
World of Halo Quests:

YOUFUCKIN'NOOB!
Verbally abuse 10 players for no reason.

Ah! Damn! What the?
Get insta-killed by a covenant you couldn't see 20 times.

The Daniel Petric
Kill your Parents because they revoked your subscription.

The Enevitable.
Get sick of playing with 13 year old boys and go play another game.

Supreme Idiot King:
Argue with 10 other NPC about how Halo's Story is equal to the works of Shakespeare.