Trailers: Assassin's Creed: Unity - Teaser Trailer

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
i haven't played Liberation yet, but when i heard that the first female protagonist in the assassin's creed games also happened to feature playing dress up as a main game mechanic, i found it kind of off-putting. if that's a game mechanic they wanted to include for sake of the mechanic, fine, but it just seems to pointed for it to make a first appearance the first time you play as a female.

OT: wish this was coming to current (or last?) gen consoles. and i don't know much about french type history, any chance boating and boatwars will make a return? history buffs, i'm looking to you for answers.

Martin Drkos

Mar 7, 2012
martyrdrebel27 said:
i haven't played Liberation yet, but when i heard that the first female protagonist in the assassin's creed games also happened to feature playing dress up as a main game mechanic, i found it kind of off-putting. if that's a game mechanic they wanted to include for sake of the mechanic, fine, but it just seems to pointed for it to make a first appearance the first time you play as a female.

OT: wish this was coming to current (or last?) gen consoles. and i don't know much about french type history, any chance boating and boatwars will make a return? history buffs, i'm looking to you for answers.
Funnily enough all the male assassins (except Altair) are playing dress up just for the looks, while Aveline's three different personas are a game-play mechanic.

Jun 26, 2010
martyrdrebel27 said:
and i don't know much about french type history, any chance boating and boatwars will make a return? history buffs, i'm looking to you for answers.
French Revolution, so most, if not all, of the action will take place in Paris, so the answer from me is Non.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Martin Drkos said:
martyrdrebel27 said:

Funnily enough all the male assassins (except Altair) are playing dress up just for the looks, while Aveline's three different personas are a game-play mechanic.
excellent point, and an interesting perspective. i think we're seeing the same thing on opposite sides of the issue.

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
Sigmar ov The Hammer said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
and i don't know much about french type history, any chance boating and boatwars will make a return? history buffs, i'm looking to you for answers.
French Revolution, so most, if not all, of the action will take place in Paris, so the answer from me is Non.
Unless they decide to take into the wider Revolutionary & Napoleonic Wars (which dragged the rest of Europe, and the world into the issue) in which case adding a naval component would be child's play,

awnman

Dec 21, 2010
Britishfan said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Unless they decide to take into the wider Revolutionary & Napoleonic Wars (which dragged the rest of Europe, and the world into the issue) in which case adding a naval component would be child's play,
I highly doubt that. We see what seems to be our main assassin and there is a long lingering shot on a guillotine. This implies to me were already in reign of terror. So thats the early 1790's. THe first major french naval action took place during Napoleons invasion of Egypt which is 6 years away. unless we do a time skip and portray napoleon as a good guy i don't see naval stuff as being a major thing. Ok now on to the rest of the teaser. Firstly from what ive seen in this (mainly the Guilotine) were not dealing with the initial uprising so no storming of the bastille or anything. Instead we get to focus on the insane period of time that is France post royal and pre Napoleon. Its a good time to pick due to the constant political scheming the threats of internal coups, royalist from the eastern parts of the country or Britanny and Austrian invasion. We will likely have a clear bad guy like most of the previous games. My bets on Robespeire just because he has the name appeal more than anyone else of the period. As for allies i think we might be getting a pro royal. The reasons i hae for thinking this are three fold. One its the reign of terror and you can use that to portray the worst of the revolutionaries and there ideals, two we get a long lingering shot of Versailles which would be a cool enviroment, and third its kinda unexpected so i think it would make sense. as for the environment itself i am happy were back in Europe, not just because it has more culture but Europes buildings are bigger and more climbable. Paris in the period is a maze of small winding streets and narrow ally ways, as this is set prior to Napoleon III's mania for long strait avenues so thats going to make for interesting exploring. It also is larger in realife than rome was but i think smaller than Constantiople. Thats pretty much all i can think of for the time being.

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
awnman said:
Britishfan said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
I highly doubt that. We see what seems to be our main assassin and there is a long lingering shot on a guillotine. This implies to me were already in reign of terror. So thats the early 1790's. THe first major french naval action took place during Napoleons invasion of Egypt which is 6 years away. unless we do a time skip and portray napoleon as a good guy i don't see naval stuff as being a major thing. Ok now on to the rest of the teaser. Firstly from what ive seen in this (mainly the Guilotine) were not dealing with the initial uprising so no storming of the bastille or anything. Instead we get to focus on the insane period of time that is France post royal and pre Napoleon. Its a good time to pick due to the constant political scheming the threats of internal coups, royalist from the eastern parts of the country or Britanny and Austrian invasion. We will likely have a clear bad guy like most of the previous games. My bets on Robespeire just because he has the name appeal more than anyone else of the period. As for allies i think we might be getting a pro royal. The reasons i hae for thinking this are three fold. One its the reign of terror and you can use that to portray the worst of the revolutionaries and there ideals, two we get a long lingering shot of Versailles which would be a cool enviroment, and third its kinda unexpected so i think it would make sense. as for the environment itself i am happy were back in Europe, not just because it has more culture but Europes buildings are bigger and more climbable. Paris in the period is a maze of small winding streets and narrow ally ways, as this is set prior to Napoleon III's mania for long strait avenues so thats going to make for interesting exploring. It also is larger in realife than rome was but i think smaller than Constantiople. Thats pretty much all i can think of for the time being.
Err, no. The first major naval battle was The Glorious First of June, 1974. (aka Third Battle of Ushant) Both Britain and France claimed victory. Britain sank the French fleet but the French food convoy from the colonies still made it to harbour. Besides I don't think Ass Creed is likely to focus on the big naval battles anyway; it's more about small actions. But this is all speculation. Of course, just because they can incorporate naval stuff doesn't mean that they will, other than they did it in the past. Additionally naval combat is more historically significant for the Revolutionary & Napoleonic Wars than it was for the American War of Independence.

I'm also happy for the setting. I've said from the beginning that The French Revolution would make a better setting for an Ass Creed game than the American War of independence. As for what they'll actually do with the setting (Other than stabbing people) we can only really speculate at the moment.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
The French Revolution: what everyone wanted/wants/wished Assassin's Creed 3 to be. Oh well, better late than never I suppose.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
1.I'm hoping of a return to basics and mostly a focus on cities and assassinations while introducing new elements. Don't get me wrong. Black Flag is my favourite and ships sections were badass. However, I miss the rooftops of major cities. I've never had the same fun jumping around like in Venice.

2. I'm not hoping for fake french accents. (EX:ZEE SIS RIDICULOUS.)

Also as a french canadian, I'll know if they're using accents from french canadians. You can't fool me Ubisoft!

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
hazydawn said:
What about guns? Will it have guns? Because I don't want them :p
There's what appears to be the hilt of a pistol sticking out of the main character's belt.

On the other hand, some AC1 trailers showed Altair with a crossbow, which never appeared in the actual game, so maybe not.

I'm interested to know how the French Revolution will fit into their overall narrative. Are the revolutionaries Templars or Assassins? I'm betting on Templars, and Unity will basically be Scarlet Pimpernel: The Game, but you never know.