Trailers: Dead Island Trailer

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Possibly the best trailer I have ever seen, it made me want to play the game, made me interested in the characters and genuinely made me feel something.
How many times have you had that happen?
Shame it looks like it could just be "Left 4 Heavy Rain"

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
That was a helluvah trailer, for sure. I love those kinds of trailers/commercials where it's just soft music, and most everything else does the talking. Few if any words of dialogue spoken, just letting the trailer speak for itself.

Let's hope the actual game is as compelling as the trailer, eh?

Apparently, from the 9+ page thread in the Off-topic section, it's drawn some slight controversy from the gaming media, with some people (mainly gaming parents) saying that they're just drawing on the controversy of a dead child, and while I can understand that, I'd have to say the trailer was a success taken that into account.

EDIT: And after watching the trailer a second time, again I say; damn. It actually makes it even more heart breaking because I realized that the little girl turned into a zombie, which is why she jumped her father and then showed why he threw her out the window.

Techland, you better not fuck up. According to the Wiki article, it's supposed to be open world, 4-player co-op, with an emphasis on melee.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
Can't wait to know the actual release date... Its probably gonna be Q3-4 '11
Which is way more than I can take waiting for such a promising game.
If the game is half as good at transmiting the sense of doom and the great atmosphere the trailer has, its gonna be something to remember.

ironduke88

Mar 20, 2010
Great trailer, I'll keep an eye on the game; but a great trailer alone is not going to make me buy the game. On the other hand, Darkspore trailer was crap, but I'm going to buy it anyway.

Sexbad

Mar 31, 2010
I'm not sure what's making me more depressed: the trailer, or the fact that the game is going to be nowhere near as emotionally involved as the trailer?

From the website:

Features
- first-person melee combat
- 4 player co-op
- weapon customization
- set on an open world tropical island
- RPG elements for character development
- hordes of gruesome zombies

Cool, it might be fun. I played CoJ2 and it was pretty damn fun, but fucking damn it, I want a game like the one in the trailer! I want fighting to be gruesome and not fun, like a last resort and something emotionally taxing! I want to feel connected to the characters! This is just bland, now that I've learned more about it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Uuuu, Pegi turned 18, very nice.
As for the game, another zombie thing, can't say it sparks any interest as zombies became more used then WW2.
Every damn game now hasto have a zombie in it.

Cap'n Moe

Apr 14, 2009
Having a daughter, that kind of tugged at the heart strings a bit, it makes you wonder what kind of a painful decision it was for Dad to be bitten by his own daughter, and then knowing she plummeted to the ground outside...ouch.

But the game looks great, whatever the team is doing, obviously, reading here, it is making an impact. Keep it up, cant wait to see more.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
I second undead dragon king's point having killed millions of NPCs over the years and seen scores of cutscenes and trailers that were obviously supposed to garner that reaction - I can recall tearing at a trailer before. The fact the it was a zombie game made it all the more impressive to me just BECAUSE it's so overused - zombies are about as hard to take seriously as ninjas at this point and it didn't take away from the piece.

Excellent work

Lord Draenor

Sep 20, 2010
After the end of the trailer I realized my jaw had dropped. It's hard to remember a more impressive trailer than this. Hope the game doesn't suck

Paulo Sergio

Feb 5, 2011
Forget that this is even part of a game, and that it has zombies in it: this is a PURE freakin' movin' moment. Ok it may be made even more so because it's so unusual to see it outside of the big screen, but even '28 Days Later' or 'The Walking Dead' would be proud to have a scene like this.
I bet anyone into 3d animation/filmmaking is just speechless after seeing this..

LtWiesel

Jul 26, 2010
I hope they can hold this feeling during the game, it shouldnt end up as just another zombie game.

MrLumber

Jan 13, 2009
Crap, apparently no one else is feeling that that trailer looked hilarious. Guess I must be heartless.

Seriously I was giggling the entire time...

Reasoning is I feel that doing the whole 'Slo-mo, sad music' thing is lazy ass cinematography, and its about as engaging or informative as a mute giving a seminar. The producers just didn't realize that.

Anyway, could be good, but this premise has sort of been done to death by now.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
KING POJO said:
A) I think we can give what looks to be an 8 year old a break when it comes to FAST ZOMBIES. ;P
B) 40-60? That sounds a little high to me. XP Sure it isnt around 10-15?
Side note: I could barely watch this trailer, I can only imagine what this does to a father with a girl about her age. -.-

He has a little daughter.

In the many videos he has done on Dead Rising 2 he has made it really clear he gets uncomfortable when a game involves your character being the father of a daughter in need.

oscar42

Mar 18, 2009
That hurt to watch... if this is how the game will be, it will be horrible - Good job game designers

docbox1567

Nov 10, 2009
That was the best trailer for a videogame that I have ever seen. Tragic, sad, visceral and zombie. It was so strange how showing horrific acts of violence makes it not as grotesque as it otherwise would have been.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
Trailers awesome, game sounds intresting from what i've read. If it fails i will be massively dissapointed.