Trailers: Dead or Alive 5 - Hot Zone Trailer

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I saw the title and thought, "Hmm, volcano arena? Sounds awesome!"

Then I saw the opening shot of the trailer, and thought, "Wait, am I watching the right trailer? Did they accidentally link to a trailer for CoD?"

Then I saw the fighters, and thought, "Oh, you cannot be serious..."

I spent the rest of the video in slack-jawed disbelief.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Sylocat said:

Then I saw the opening shot of the trailer, and thought, "Wait, am I watching the right trailer? Did they accidentally link to a trailer for CoD?"

I'm honestly confused by this series, is there some kind of plot that deals with all the characters because they seem to have history with one another.

OT: Well... nothing worse than getting knocked to the ground and then taking a RPG to the back too, that's just dirty pool in my book.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
dalek sec said:
Sylocat said:

I'm honestly confused by this series, is there some kind of plot that deals with all the characters because they seem to have history with one another.

OT: Well... nothing worse than getting knocked to the ground and then taking a RPG to the back too, that's just dirty pool in my book.
There actually is...it's kinda convoluted, though. Kasumi is supposed to be the leader of her ninja clan but she ran off to find her brother, Hayate, who disappeared while investigating an evil corporation known as DOATec. As Kasumi abandoned her duties as head of the ninja clan, Ayane was dispatched to capture her.

Helena inherited control of DOATec, Christie is an assassin sent to get close to Helena, spy on her, and eventually take her out. Bayman is a mercenary/assassin who used to work for DOATec. Annnnnnnd that's about all I can think of right now. :p

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
*Looks at bra shot*

Well, so much for the series being more subtle.

But seriously, I understand the want for a grittier, more realistic look, but a warzone straight out of an Afghanistan war movie or CoD game? No thanks, lets keep it in the more pure fantasy field please, Team Ninja.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
The story was simplified into a coherent (sort of) retelling in Dead or Alive: Dimensions on the 3DS.

As for the trailer, I'm still trying to figure out if they wanted to intentionally mislead people into believing it was for a modern war game of some sorts. It was so incredibly brown and without palette. I was hoping the characters would be more colorful, but they weren't. Is this just another example of Japan starting to cast aside what makes them unique in order to appeal with the Western market?

As such, not sure what I think about dust and dirt clinging to the characters as a result of fighting. It's a nice looking touch, but not needed.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Well... that was erm... yeah... I don't know what that was.

I imagine the design process of this game must have been something like this:

Designer 1: So, what do people want these days?
Designer 2: Explosions!
D1: Yeah! Explosions! What else?
D2: Tits! Tits and explosions!
D1: Awesome! We're on a roll here, any more?
D2: Warzones! Fuck yeah!
D1: Now we're talking! Got anything to top it off?
D2: Beating the crap out of shit! Booyah!
D1: That's it! Beating the crap out of tits in a warzone with explosions! This'll be the best thing ever!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Hitomi fights to find Hayate.
And that's the part I never fully understood...I know that Ein is Hayate having been brainwashed/with amnesia or something...and I thought THAT was who Hitomi was after. But even so, why is she chasing after the same person as Kasumi?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Hitomi fights to find Hayate.
And that's the part I never fully understood...I know that Ein is Hayate having been brainwashed/with amnesia or something...and I thought THAT was who Hitomi was after. But even so, why is she chasing after the same person as Kasumi?
Kasumi is trying to destroy DOATEC, because they brainwashed Hayate. Hitomi is chasing after Hayate before his got brainwashed.
:p But I thought Hayate was Kasumi's brother who disappeared while investigating DOATEC, how would he be associated with Hitomi? I thought that was Ein (post-brainwash) seeing as how his fight style is Karate and not Ninjitsu.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Nimzabaat said:
Um, okay nobody called the "underwear go inside the pants" thing?
Because it's not underwear, it's a mesh that binds the top and the legs together. That way she can wear tight leather-like clothing without the risk of it ripping when she kicks or developing that fishy crotch smell.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
So, your neck gets broken twice, and then you get hit by a tank shell.

Then, in round two-

WHAT ROUND TWO?!

Jun 11, 2008
I hope they have a better boss fight than the end of DoA 4 and a better counter system. It may be because I took a massive hiatus from DoA before I played 4 but the counter system seemed a bit broken when the comp used it. Although my view may be skewed due to final boss.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Callate said:
So, your neck gets broken twice, and then you get hit by a tank shell.

Then, in round two-

WHAT ROUND TWO?!
Superheroes with healing factor.

Just like Tekken: Blood Vengeance.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
What happens when the time runs out? do the rebels come out and hold you both for ransom?