Trailers: Dust 514

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
wait... this isnt coming out on the pc? what the fuck?

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I don't really understand the gimmick of this game. So it's just a single player Eve online?

Burgled

Jul 14, 2010
Tdc2182 said:
I don't really understand the gimmick of this game. So it's just a single player Eve online?
It's a multiplayer shooter in the EVE universe, EVE players/corps hire mercenaries to fight for them on planets, these mercenaries are PS3 players :p

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
Tdc2182 said:
Its 100% multiplayer shooter set in the EVE universe on consoles that will have direct communication to EVE players playing actual EVE and will allow negotiating/coordinating things such as orbital strikes from actual players playing EVE.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Worgen said:
You, me, and every other FPS Eve online player agree.

Seriously, what the fuck? Also IIRC, CCP has 0 experience on the PS3. So not only using different infrastructure then what their coders are used to, but then abandoning the group... that this game is made to help/assist.

Seriously, what the fuck?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
dududf said:
Worgen said:

Seriously, what the fuck? Also IIRC, CCP has 0 experience on the PS3. So not only using different infrastructure then what their coders are used to, but then abandoning the group... that this game is made to help/assist.

I thought this was going to be tied into eve aside from just plot wise, it could have been pretty awesome, guess its just some fps game based in the eve universe but it still doesnt answer the question of what the hell is up with no pc release

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Worgen said:
dududf said:
Worgen said:

I thought this was going to be tied into eve aside from just plot wise, it could have been pretty awesome, guess its just some fps game based in the eve universe but it still doesnt answer the question of what the hell is up with no pc release
My mind exploded with that question as well.

Sucks even more that extremely few eve online players that I know have PS3's.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Maybe they don't want EVE Online players to move from the MMO game to the FPS component on their PCs? Or maybe they're concerned that PC vs PS3 gameplay won't be balanced. I think it would have been better if this was available for PC and PS3, but I probably won't play it on either system anyway.

The Sane

Apr 2, 2010
Hey... I've known they weren't going for PCs for a while now, but since when was it for PS3 only?

It sucked for all the PC gamers out there who are going to miss out but now I find out my 360 isn't good enough for them either, me thinks they are limiting their audience a bit too much.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
dududf said:
Worgen said:

Worgen said:
They announced over TWO YEARS ago that it wouldn't be on PC... >.>

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Korten12 said:
dududf said:
Worgen said:

Worgen said:
Im not an eve player, I only vaugly kept up with anything on this, it just seems massively retarded that its not on the pc even if sony did help bankroll it

although on the other hand sony does have a habit of fucking up their mmo type games so maybe it wont matter

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Korten12 said:
dududf said:
Worgen said:

Worgen said:
I never claimed that I didn't know that...?

Just agreeing with another person.

Not sure where you're from, but that's not criminal here.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Some other people said that essentially it's Console Gamers using the interwebs to be the ground mercs for people playing EVE. THAT would be awesome. It would also require anyone in a major corp. to get a PS3. But this IS shaping up to be awesome. An MMO with an actual tie-in between consoles and the PC.

Only question is, we'd most likely have to pay for mercs. What if no planetary battle is going on? Or if no-one pays for mercs? And what would the console gamers do with the ISK?

One thing's for certain: It'll be interesting to see where this goes. Maybe small ships would be able to do ground flybys and strafes and attacks. THAT would be an interesting mechanic.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
The Sane said:
Hey... I've known they weren't going for PCs for a while now, but since when was it for PS3 only?

It sucked for all the PC gamers out there who are going to miss out but now I find out my 360 isn't good enough for them either, me thinks they are limiting their audience a bit too much.
They talked about this in an interview.

Basically Sony is letting them do everything their way with the game. It will be played on CCP's servers and you will not use your PSN ID in Dust, but rather an account with CCP (they said they feel it is mandatory because corporate espionage is a huge part of the EVE world) but Microsoft wouldn't allow them to do that, and instead wanting all Dust players to be stuck using their gamertag.

As for the PC, EVE has a huge following for a niche game, and its safe to assume that a notable number will play it on the PS3, and a notable number will not play it on the PS3.

I am willing to put money on it that some time in the future (possibly after the PS3 release) they will announce it in on the PC.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
dududf said:
Korten12 said:
dududf said:
Worgen said:

Worgen said:

Sorry, that may have come out as a bit harsher then intended. It's just that, no one complained when it was first announced (as far as I know) but now they wait till after it finally gets release schedule (not date) to complain about it?

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Korten12 said:
dududf said:
Korten12 said:
dududf said:
Worgen said:

Worgen said:

Sorry, that may have come out as a bit harsher then intended. It's just that, no one complained when it was first announced (as far as I know) but now they wait till after it finally gets release schedule (not date) to complain about it?
I've been bitching and moaning about it for as long as I've known about DUST 514, which is about a year or so.

I know plenty of people that have been bitching about it for months. A lot of them don't even know why it's on the PS3. It's as jarring as releasing a halo on the nintendo wii.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
dududf said:
Korten12 said:
dududf said:
Korten12 said:
dududf said:
Worgen said:

Worgen said:

I've been bitching and moaning about it for as long as I've known about DUST 514, which is about a year or so.

I know plenty of people that have been bitching about it for months. A lot of them don't even know why it's on the PS3. It's as jarring as releasing a halo on the nintendo wii.
Well the offical statement is that something about not wanting to like... Uh, I think they said something about not wanting to overuse their fanbase or something like that? And that Dust 514 isn't meant for EVE Players.

Oh here it is:

Producer Thomas Farrer explained the controversial decision to make EVE tie-in shooter DUST 514 a PS3 exclusive in an interview with RPS earlier today. He explained: ?most of DUST is running on our own technology, it?s running on our own super-computer, on Tranquillity. And Sony is a lot more? open, shall we say, to allowing you to do those things. It may seem silly, but on Xbox Live your identity is your Xbox Live identity. In the EVE universe, having people not know who you are is quite important.?

When asked whether a 360 version was an impossibility, he reasoned that ?I don?t think it?s about saying we ?couldn?t? do it. I think some of the challenges we?d meet would be tricky. But then also as a developer you?ve got to weigh the balance. It?s nice to work on one platform rather than two, because it means you don?t have to make any awkward compromises, technically. Also you get the benefit of a closer relationship with that platform. ?

On the prickly issue of there not being a PC client, Farrer explained: ?we don?t want to cannibalise our own player-base.?