Trailers: Hitman: Absolution - Personal Contract Trailer

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
I was hoping for a twist, where 47 kills the girl and those men where actually there to protect her.

I always liked 47 for NOT being a hero.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
I'll ignore the run and gun cause we don't know if that is representative of the gameplay yet, but I can't really buy the kidnapped girlfriend or whatever plotline. Something that's never been ambiguous is that 47 has zero redeeming qualities, at time killing a friendly mailman who had the misfortune of delivering his assignment, threatening to kill Agent Smith who he worked with many time throughout the series and showing no interest in preventing a White House coup and takeover unless he was getting paid a lot of money.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Prince Regent said:
I was hoping for a twist, where 47 kills the girl and those men where actually there to protect her.

I always liked 47 for NOT being a hero.
I would have approved of that.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
rollerfox88 said:
This trailer looks more like the terrible, terrible movie version of Hitman than like a Hitman game...presumably this is an opening cinematic or something similar to set the scene?
Ya I don't really like this, it feels like someone who never played hitman and has no respect for the existing feel/lore of the series. I hope 47 isn't some jumped up hero now. He was never suppose to be.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
MonkeyPunch said:
Have none of you watched the actual gameplay trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svlkx-jsYeg]? :/

Rarely is a cinematic an indication of gameplay... it's just that. A cinematic.
Yep. It made me more worried.

It seems linear, and let's just not talk about the fucking "Instinct" stuff. Even though its optional, it speaks volume about the developer's thought process. I.e. "We better cater for complete idiots too!"

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Woodsey said:
MonkeyPunch said:
Have none of you watched the actual gameplay trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svlkx-jsYeg]? :/

It seems linear, and let's just not talk about the fucking "Instinct" stuff. Even though its optional, it speaks volume about the developer's thought process. I.e. "We better cater for complete idiots too!"
Well nowadays if you want to make a product that sells to millions you have to cater somewhat towards the idiots as it's going to be a large portion of your player base.
Also I wouldn't pass judgement on a mechanic that no one has really had the chance to explore properly.
Not to mention that if it's just an on/off mechanic there seems to be nothing stopping the player just not using it if it's something that disagrees with their idea of how to play the game.

Also, from what I understand Absolution is not that linear. You can solve that library level in a bunch of ways. You can find the Run For Your Life trailer with dev commentary where they expand on it. For example you can actually get to the exit without taking a hostage at all or do the opposite and start going amok way early on.
Just that level seems less linear than a lot of earlier Hitman game levels to me.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
MonkeyPunch said:
Woodsey said:
MonkeyPunch said:

Well nowadays if you want to make a product that sells to millions you have to cater somewhat towards the idiots as it's going to be a large portion of your player base.
Also I wouldn't pass judgement on a mechanic that no one has really had the chance to explore properly.
Not to mention that if it's just an on/off mechanic there seems to be nothing stopping the player just not using it if it's something that disagrees with their idea of how to play the game.

Also, from what I understand Absolution is not that linear. You can solve that library level in a bunch of ways. You can find the Run For Your Life trailer with dev commentary where they expand on it. For example you can actually get to the exit without taking a hostage at all or do the opposite and start going amok way early on.
Just that level seems less linear than a lot of earlier Hitman game levels to me.
Like I said, whether its optional or not is irrelevant: its indicative of the wider-design philosophy. Which has so far been screamed to me as "more pew pew, more instant gratification, less-of-using-even-a-modicum-of-intelligence".

And they should have shown an alternative run through then. No use just showing the same thing and pointing out random things you can do differently without showing it.

"Also I wouldn't pass judgement on a mechanic that no one has really had the chance to explore properly."

A melee kill grants you usage of it, it lets you see through walls, and it draws the exact line which a guard is going to walk. Its a cheat sheet. At least the map in the older games (which I believe has actually been removed now) required you to think a little.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Why at the end does Agent 47 seem to possess the same gunkata training as the priests from equilibrium.. I mean they were cool and all but surely it doesn't fit with 47's style of stealth..

Apr 5, 2008
Okay, so this trailer was cool. Unlike the one with actual gameplay that not only sucked harder than an industrial vacuum cleaner, but served only to turn me off wanting to play. *sigh* I'll play this regardless, this trailer was great, glad to see 47 back and hope this means he's back to stay in the limelight...i just hope it's good, though I suspect it won't be :-(

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Woodsey said:
Like I said, whether its optional or not is irrelevant: its indicative of the wider-design philosophy. Which has so far been screamed to me as "more pew pew, more instant gratification, less-of-using-even-a-modicum-of-intelligence".
OK I just don't see how it screams that when in a 16 minute gameplay trailer 13 seconds are spent shooting 9:13 - 9:26 and the rest revolves around sneaking, evading and deception.
On top of that we also know that with a little bit of thought (;P) you can avoid that shooting scenario altogether.

And it's completely relevant whether or not it's optional. Not only that but who's to say that the hardest difficulty level doesn't omit that feature altogether?