Trailers: Kinect Star Wars - Depth Trailer

Giftmacher

Jul 22, 2008
There's so much wrong with this... where to start? Oh yes, the dancing; truly cringe worthy.

As for the rest, well it's a master class in why motion control is a great drunken party mechanic, but a diabolical game interface.

I felt something die inside just watching this, or maybe it was through the force?

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Fully immersed. By grabbing air and flailing your hands about hoping that the Kinect will recognize you in your tiny, dimly lit bedroom. I'm with Yahtzee: How is moving your whole body more immersive than pressing a button, which provides the shortest distance between brain and action without connecting the game directly to our brains? What I want is the pod-racing arcade game that I only got to try once or twice, where you sit in a cockpit with Anakin's handlebars as controls. Not as immersive as buttons, but fun as hell with better feedback than empty air will ever provide.

And with those "modes," do you know what I see? A collection of mini-games - only one of which has some semblance of a plot - that will get really old really fast, especially the rancor mode. And since when is Mos Eisley made of cardboard? Star Wars doesn't need a Godzilla, thank you very much.

This game just looks annoying, though not as annoying as the people "playing" it. Honestly, what is it with motion control ads and the people in them having those stupid open-mouth smiles?

Oh, and I've never wanted to dance as Boba Fett. The armor would make that difficult.

RARbuddha

Jun 7, 2010
Intentional or not this game appears to be satirical. It is as if someone with intimate knowledge of what is in the star wars universe used this information to parody someone making a serious game about star wars. The above comments pretty much hit it on the head. I never want to dance as the Emperor...nor would he want to dance...

I am in no way surprised at this though, getting pretty used to star wars being a disappointment is part of growing up, or is that just part of the passage of time?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I'll be honest, I giggled at the title when I read "Kinect" and "depth" in the same sentence.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
templar1138a said:
Fully immersed. By grabbing air and flailing your hands about hoping that the Kinect will recognize you in your tiny, dimly lit bedroom. I'm with Yahtzee: How is moving your whole body more immersive than pressing a button, which provides the shortest distance between brain and action without connecting the game directly to our brains?
I don't know, my niece got a Wii recently and trying it, it definitely has some potential. I could totally imagine a Star Wars game with motion controls as Force is mostly used through empty motions. On the other hand, it'd be nice to have something to control a lightsaber with - I'm confused as to why Kinect and Move or Wii don't just stop fighting, have sex and give us some delicious motion control babies with both the camera and a controller. Being able to use a Wii/Move controller in one hand and gesture for Force powers in the other would make for the ultimate Star Wars game. Perhaps we can just use a Kinect and hold, I don't know, a drum stick in one hand or something?

I agree no feedback is a BIT of an issue, but it's not like we have feedback with normal controls. Yes, this makes something like lightsaber fighting impossible to perfect as we can't ever lock lightsabers, but all 'real' games use several moves anyway (as opposed to real motion), there's no reason we can't do the same with motion controls.

Note, not saying this is good. Cringeworthy is about right and it's a downright terrible game. But motion controls do have potential, that potential just hasn't been fully realised yet.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Vrach said:
I agree no feedback is a BIT of an issue, but it's not like we have feedback with normal controls. Yes, this makes something like lightsaber fighting impossible to perfect as we can't ever lock lightsabers, but all 'real' games use several moves anyway (as opposed to real motion), there's no reason we can't do the same with motion controls.
I just remembered an idea I had a while back that can be incorporated into yours: Along with a sensor and a controller, put a fully-rotational gyroscope in the controller that responds to game data. Boom. Feedback. Saber locks. Weapon recoil. The game could even be made with settings to decide whether or not the gyroscope behaves like the blade has weight (most people are used to swinging plastic sabers, after all).

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
The game looks...Appealing for party based entertainment, but it does do a lot of things that could annoy Star Wars fans (like they need more reasons). I think the Rancor mini-game might be fun as we hardly get any "big monster destroy town" games, it's at least something different from an FPS. But the dancing Boba Fett and Sideous, Pod-racing, and lack of space combat (Seriously! How can you miss this?!) doesn't make the entire package appealing.

I don't think the games are going to be more immersive with the Kinect, but I haven't used it here so I don't know if it would work. I'm thinking this won't work well considering what I heard about "Rise of Nightmare" and the Jedi battles seem pre-recorded in this case, as in not showing how accurate they are with player movement.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The only one that hopefully shouldn't be a dissapointment is the dance mode (come on you seen Star Wars characters dance before).
Now I think about it why have no one make a Kinect Godzilla game were you play as Godzilla or the other monster itself! Now that would be awesome!

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
What did that woman call a Twi'lek? Because it sounded like she said Twilike.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Oh thank heavens, I thought they were trying for a serious game untill now. A series of unimportant party games, I'm okay with.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
What did that woman call a Twi'lek? Because it sounded like she said Twilike.
She said it fine..Although it's getting into the really petty nerd complaints when you're nitpicking over the pronunciation of made of terms.. Seriously, in a section about a dancing mini-game in Star Wars, that's what you're going to object to...?