Trailers: L.A. Noire Trailer 2

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
L.A. Noire Trailer 2

Play as aspiring young detective, Cole Phelps as he rises through the ranks of the LAPD.

Watch Video

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
This game is looking good. And after what Rockstar Red Dead Redemption, I have high hopes for this game.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
I hope it is better than the trailer looks. I was really excited baout this game when I saw a black and white trailer (unless I imagined it). Being a bit of a Film Noir(e) nerd, I have my inhibitions about LA Noire turning out to just be a bundle of cliches. I really hope I am wrong.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Man, cliche'd and Uncanny Valley-alicious. Still, it at looks like a game trying to sell itself on story and cinematic appeal rather than aliens, space marines and explosions.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
tigermilk said:
I hope it is better than the trailer looks. I was really excited baout this game when I saw a black and white trailer (unless I imagined it). Being a bit of a Film Noir(e) nerd, I have my inhibitions about LA Noire turning out to just be a bundle of cliches. I really hope I am wrong.
The Cliches are a part of what makes it Noir, just like with a Western or any other definable movie. If there wasn't a dame the main character was warned away because she is "Trouble" it wouldn't be the same.

OT: I'm liking this, to my knowledge there hasn't been anything like it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Mmmmmmm, delicious. For some reason, when it said "pre-order now" I was thinking "Is there going to be an interrogation if I don't?"

So, yeah, this may be one of the few games I do preorder.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
manythings said:
tigermilk said:
The Cliches are a part of what makes it Noir, just like with a Western or any other definable movie. If there wasn't a dame the main character was warned away because she is "Trouble" it wouldn't be the same.

OT: I'm liking this, to my knowledge there hasn't been anything like it.
I have no problem with archytypes, I am just concerned about dialogue that isn't so much "noirish" as cheesy or just resorting to excessive swearing to appear "authentic". I really liked the scripting in GTA IV hopefully it will be of a similar quality. I think the dilogue reflects my general concerns it will lack atmosphere or feel slightly to self concious.

Although as you point out there is (to the best of my knowledge) nothing like it (bar perhaps heavy rain to an extent in terms of narrative) and it is good to see a new IP, especially one with definite potential.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
This looks interesting...I'm keeping an eye on it, but a cautious one, since:

a) I'm a bit of a film-noir(e) fan, and I'm really hoping they handle it properly (especially if they're going to call it L.A. Noire!)

b) Was it just me...or did the graphics look kinda...average? don't get me wrong, I don't think graphics are the be-all and end-all, but since this genre has such specific visual characteristics, and given what graphics engines are capable of these days...

It's only a trailer, though - I look forward to more information as it comes out! =)

Stuntkid

Cyberdemon
Oct 6, 2010
what's that? A rockstar game that's not grand theft auto? If it's anything like Bully, then I'm buying the fuck out of this!

Deh Zebra

Oct 29, 2010
If there was one thing I can say about this game, it would be that I support the use of FACIAL MOTION CAPTURE! Thank you Rockstar, you setting a par and pushing the industry forward. Hope the game does well and you mo-cap is as effective as it looks.

epikAXE

Save the planet: It has beer!
Oct 26, 2009
That looks like it would make a kick ass film, (along the lines of Seven...btw if youve never seen Seven, go watch now!) Lets hope it also makes a kick ass game ;D

DarkSpectre

Jan 25, 2010
Really starting to look forward to this game. Looks like an awesome story. I hope it plays well.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Its not for the pc? Thats the only thing i have!

Note that i only have a pc because im dirt cheap and cant afford three consoles :p

beema

Aug 19, 2009
So, the protagonist is Kenneth Cosgrove from Mad Men? lol alrighty then...

I'm not sure how I feel about this facial technology. It looks great, but at the same time I'd rather not have recognizable hollywood actors barging in to my games and changing how I feel about them.