Trailers: Lord Of The Rings: The War in the North - Elf Combat Trailer

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Lord Of The Rings: The War in the North - Elf Combat Trailer

Watch how the elves combat evil in the War in the North.

Watch Video

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Lore innacuracies aside, it looks good. It's been a while since I have played a good Snowblind hack and slash, this might be right up my alley.

Dr.Nick

Mar 26, 2009
The grim aesthetics make it look more like Dragon Age. I don't approve of of the flashy magic though, LotR never involved magic like that. Just look at gandalf, he could make a bright lights but his main power was persuading and restoring order, he never shot fireballs or anything.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
I remember playing the movie tie-in games on the Gamecube...

By no means were they shit, and this looks like an expanded version of those games.

Which makes me say "Me likey", but I don't think my wallet will survive the coming apocalypse...

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Mis-labeling these trailers as LotRO again? C'mon, guys, I expect better from you. This is not, never has been, and for the foreseeable future will not be Lord of the Rings Online. That and LotR are not the same thing.

spacewalker

Sep 13, 2010
so by elf they actually ment wizard?
you are actually going to repel fans of lord of the rings if you bucher source material to this extent.

Daemonate

Jun 7, 2010
Dr.Nick said:
The grim aesthetics make it look more like Dragon Age. I don't approve of of the flashy magic though, LotR never involved magic like that. Just look at gandalf, he could make a bright lights but his main power was persuading and restoring order, he never shot fireballs or anything.
Sorry to be a lore-nazi, but that is not quite accurate. He does in fact throw fire around on more than one occasion in the books - he's rather an exception to the lack of open, fantasy-mage-type magic usage in Middle Earth. For everyone else but Gandalf, yes, there's no fireball throwing.

Curiously, Jackson never put those scenes into the movies so far, and nothing I've seen suggests he will put them in the Hobbit either, for which I am perplexed but grateful, as the odds of doing it tastefully are next to nil.

BUT I still agree with your sentiment. Quite right about the lore and motif issues. Flashy, powerful combat type magic is extremely, extremely rare in Middle-Earth, certainly in the Third Age. Gandalf is the only one with the ability and propensity to employ it.

As a massive Tolkien fan I was a 100% sure-fire purchase of this, but I cannot condone ridiculous light show effects on my LotR game...this could really be a deal-breaker for me.

Dr.Nick

Mar 26, 2009
Daemonate said:
Dr.Nick said:
Sorry to be a lore-nazi, but that is not quite accurate. He does in fact throw fire around on more than one occasion in the books - he's rather an exception to the lack of open, fantasy-mage-type magic usage in Middle Earth. For everyone else but Gandalf, yes, there's no fireball throwing.

Curiously, Jackson never put those scenes into the movies so far, and nothing I've seen suggests he will put them in the Hobbit either, for which I am perplexed but grateful, as the odds of doing it tastefully are next to nil.

BUT I still agree with your sentiment. Quite right about the lore and motif issues. Flashy, powerful combat type magic is extremely, extremely rare in Middle-Earth, certainly in the Third Age. Gandalf is the only one with the ability and propensity to employ it.

As a massive Tolkien fan I was a 100% sure-fire purchase of this, but I cannot condone ridiculous light show effects on my LotR game...this could really be a deal-breaker for me.
Hmm I've read all the books but I don't recall him using any magic like that except in The Hobbit when he kills the Orc Lord? I haven't read them in awhile though.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Hey, news story title person. Drop the "Online". As someone else said: This isn't anything to do with LotRO.