Trailers: Mass Effect 3 - Leviathan Launch Trailer

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Mass Effect 3 - Leviathan Launch Trailer

Commander Shepard seems to be in quite the pickle at the bottom of the ocean.

Watch Video

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Looks interesting. Shame it takes place in the middle of the story we've already finished and had no bearing on the ending.

Malcharion

Jul 18, 2010
anthony87 said:
Looks interesting. Shame it takes place in the middle of the story we've already finished and had no bearing on the ending.
I know, right? It's not like any DLC like that could ever be good or worth playing, right?

Oh, wait.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Malcharion said:
anthony87 said:
I know, right? It's not like any DLC like that could ever be good or worth playing, right?

Oh, wait.
I get what you're saying but considering that the apparent point of this DLC is to find some Reaper killing weapon well........we all know that's not what kills the Reapers.

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
Hm. I thought I wasn't going to buy any DLC for ME3, but after seeing this trailer maybe I'll get it. It is a shame that it won't affect the outcome, though.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Malcharion said:
anthony87 said:

Oh, wait.
The issue is that with Mass Effect, everything leads up to the end fight with the Reapers. Knowing that no matter what we do, the endgame will always be the same, it makes it feel somewhat pointless.

With stuff like Fallout and Skyrim DLC, they are not attached to the main story, they are somewhat standalone in that they tell another tale of what happens in the life of the character.

Bioware on the other hand tend to try and make their DLC's directly relevant to the main plot with Mass Effect, and unless they actually impact that main plot (which they don't really), then it's not really worth getting unless you just happen to love the cover based shooting.

The lady says in the trailer "You are looking for a weapon to defeat the Reapers", we all know that you won't.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
well, could be interesting. I'll probably buy it on release, but we'll see.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Malcharion said:
anthony87 said:

Oh, wait.
My sentiments exactly. Come on people, whether or not it has any bearing on the ending shouldn't get to you. Its more Mass Effect, its new, its different, and it looks fun. That should be more than enough to make DLC worth SOMETHING.

As it is, I'll be getting it, and playing the shit out of it. I ignored the shitty endings before, I can ignore whether or not it has any effect on the now half-decent endings this go around. And every go around after that.

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
So this dlc is not interesting and not worth the ten bucks. You chase a few geese, talk to forgettable people about forgettable things, find the cookie and eventually have an underwhelming ending. The underwater segment is painfully short, and the emotional climax is a murder.

Basically ME3 all over again in a nutshell.

Now on to the:

SPOILERRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

So all this does is add a few lines of dialogue about Leviathan in the conversation between shep and the starchild. No additional cutscenes, no actual visual gratification of the fact that you enlisted the help of the fucking PRE-REAPERS. NOTHING. The whole ending wouldn't have bothered me half as much if it actually showed what the hell you were doing for the past three games.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So this adds plot and choices to a game where the outcome is already written in stone.

Boy, am I on the edge of my seat.

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Another effect of the shitty ending is, I haven't replayed ME3 at all, I have absolutely no desire to do so. Like a book or a movie with a crappy ending, the whole journey to it is soured, so even something new like this doesn't excite me.
ME3 seems more and more like a "how to" guide for failing to get me to part with any more money.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Not gonna play for the same reason as many others.

Just wanted to say, though, that I couldn't help but find it funny that they seemed surprised that "Leviathan" was ultimately found under an ocean. The ME1 Shepard would have been so much more like "well, that figures".

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Everyone already expressed my sentiments. Unless this has any bearing on the endgame content I have little interest. It maybe good but it feels almost insulting.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
No, just no. I, like many hate, the ending (both before and after the EC) but I have always said that the rest of the game is beyond good. But I have tried to play ME agin 3 times now and I cannot get past the title screen. Knowing that it will end with THAT ending it has destroyed my ability to enjoy the rest of the game.

But Bioware should be a little proud. It takes a special kind of ending fuck up to not only destroy my enjoyment of the rest of the game but the two games that preceded it as well.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Malcharion said:
anthony87 said:

Oh, wait.
Isles felt more like a sidestory but that is a debatable quality which I won't step into. With Mass Effect 3, unless the DLC changes the ending and is essentially "Hey look, it is this brand new, amazing weapon that can kill the reapers" and if it doesn't actually effect the reapers then it stops being worth-while.

Or in simple terms, if your given a narrative device that seems like it would effect the rest of the game then you expect it too and will be disappointed if it doesn't.

But yeah, thanks for Shivering Isles, still good.

Hooooorrrrrrrraaaaaayyyy more half-assed EA / Bioware DLC.....

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Aprilgold said:
Isles felt more like a sidestory but that is a debatable quality which I won't step into. With Mass Effect 3, unless the DLC changes the ending and is essentially "Hey look, it is this brand new, amazing weapon that can kill the reapers" and if it doesn't actually effect the reapers then it stops being worth-while.

Or in simple terms, if your given a narrative device that seems like it would effect the rest of the game then you expect it too and will be disappointed if it doesn't.

But yeah, thanks for Shivering Isles, still good.

Hooooorrrrrrrraaaaaayyyy more half-assed EA / Bioware DLC.....
Most of the ME2 DLC is the same though, namely Overlord and the Shadow Broker. You take time out of your busy schedule of stopping the Collectors to do some interesting side quests and they have no affect on the ending either so isn't it possible to just enjoy the ride as it were? I mean this DLC particularly has been advertised as a thing to stop the Reapers despite knowing it doesn't but that doesn't mean future DLC can't be enjoyable side stories that don't affect the ending.