Trailers: Mortal Kombat Launch

THAC0

Aug 12, 2009
I got this game at midnight (first time ever) and have been playing it ever since.

coming from SF it doesn't feel as intuitive to me. in SF the special moves have a bit of internal consistency to them, as in: if a character has a fireball it will most likely be quarter circle forward punch, or charge back then forward and punch. But not in MK the moves are all different for each character and a projectile might be quarter circle forward punch, back forward punch, quarter circle back and punch, back forward kick, what ever. it is both very random and very specific. You have to use the exact punch or kick button they want in order to pull off the move. this wasn't a problem in older Mk, because the characters didn't have all that many moves, but in this one some characters have a whole lot of moves so it takes a lot of attention to detail to learn them all.

game is also very fast, and can be hectic. so far, most matches i have played in have revolved around a couple of combos and uppercutting. you just don't have much time to react or plan a strategy. this might change as people get better at it. and keep in mind i am coming from SF so the change in pace might be more jarring to me than it is to others.

Lastly. Online seems to be a real mess right now. I have had trouble even getting into games and DCs are a real problem. not only that, but if someone DCs you get a win for that fight AND a DC on ur record. I could be wrong, but that is what i am seeing. I have never DCed, but i have 3 on my record, because of this. I have been able to meet one person on line and had some pretty good fights with him or her, but there was quite a bit of lag which made the whole thing feel choppy. Also, everyone is Scorpion or Sub Zero. this will most likely change but these two characters seem to make up 90% or more of the online play right now. (I use Raden or Kung Lao BTW).

I haven't tried any of the modes other than online 1v1 and story mode. so no comment on those.

these are just things i have noticed the last couple of days.

wfpdk

May 8, 2008
I'm not much of a fan of fighting games, but this looks sweet. i going to have to pick this up soon as i get the cash for it.

LulzOdin

Mar 15, 2011
HAHAHAHA! I love the part when Johnny Cage (I think) hits the bricks, can't break any of them, but still goes "OH YEAH!" XD
As far as the game goes, hey cmon! It's Mortal Kombat, need I say more?

Grinsk

Apr 14, 2011
I?ll say that it is the best 2D fighter I have played to date. Not only is it Mortal Kombat, but they?ve added so much and a lot of subtle stuff for the hardcore MK nerds (like me). I like the fact that its fast paced action. It doesn?t feel slow or sluggish like SF.
They?ve also implemented a lot of fun modes and a challenge tower (think SC IV). All in all a great fighting game and a refreshing reboot to a series that needed it (MK vs DCU, need I say more?). Whether you?re a fan of fighters or of MK play this game, you will not be disappointed.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
I think they've finally jumped the shark with the violence. I feel like the xrays showing me the internal damage are just doing it for the sake of.

Watching blood splatter across the screen and tearing heads off? I can get behind that. Looking at an xray of their spine collapsing on itself? Too clinical for me.

I'll stick with WeaponLord. Still love that game after all these years...

Apr 25, 2009
Wow...

I don't think I've ever seen so much cheesy, tasteless and gory violence... Not that that's a bad thing, mind. I'm Australian, so I'm NEVER playing this game anyway...

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
This game looks like win. I hope they go back to the style of MK 1 and 2 where each button / stick combo had a distinct attack rather than the Killer Instinct/MK 3+ style where you "play" combos with the controls.

gamer_parent

Jul 7, 2010
Grinsk said:
I?ll say that it is the best 2D fighter I have played to date. Not only is it Mortal Kombat, but they?ve added so much and a lot of subtle stuff for the hardcore MK nerds (like me). I like the fact that its fast paced action. It doesn?t feel slow or sluggish like SF.
Does not compute. I think I just heard something crazy in my ear.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Man, I must be getting old - I looked at some of those fatalities and was actually kinda shocked.

This for someone who played MK at age 12 and lusted for more...