Trailers: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale - E3 Trailer

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Team Hollywood said:
Sony shows how few first-party mascots they really have.
I refuse to believe that's the whole roster. They have so many other first-party characters, as others in the thread have pointed out, a lot of whom would be better suited as "All-Stars" than PaRappa or Fat Princess.

If we're going to consider this single, debut, almost-teaser trailer as a summarization of the whole game, then I suppose we can assume the game only has about five levels, too, and only a multiplayer mode. Because that would definitely sell millions and not be disappointing at all.

Not to be a dick or anything, but this post feels a little misleading and juuuust a tad slanderous.

sabotstarr

Sep 4, 2008
Do you thin
Balkan said:
sabotstarr said:
so brawl with 8 characters? How did this get a budget?
You think that they will show every single fighter in the debut trailer ?
Do you think they have any other characters to use? i can think of...4 or 5 good ones, and maybe 10 of the same caliber that are in the trailer (not exactly iconic like link or star fox for example).
And yes that may be as many as the original SSB, but for a recent reincarnation SSB i would assume it would require a vast pool of characters to please all of the haters out there ;)

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Mortamus said:
Suggested:

Jak from the Jak & Daxter games
Cole from Infamous
Ratchet from the Ratchet & Clank games
On some developer interview I think they showed Cole and Spyro, and I could swear I saw a flash of Ratchet & Clank in this trailer somewhere.

-

The Patta Pon guys are in the background attacking Aries, I just love that.

-

Microsoft, you're up. Don't forget Banjo-Kazooie, Conker and Perfect Dark.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
sabotstarr said:
Do you thin
Balkan said:
sabotstarr said:
Do you think they have any other characters to use? i can think of...4 or 5 good ones, and maybe 10 of the same caliber that are in the trailer (not exactly iconic like link or star fox for example).
And yes that may be as many as the original SSB, but for a recent reincarnation SSB i would assume it would require a vast pool of characters to please all of the haters out there ;)
You didnt say that they dont have good enogh characters . You said that they only have 8 characters . Sony doesnt have many iconic characters of gaming (like nintendo do ) because they started making games a lot sooner than Nintendo , and most of the franchises they did in the past were 3rd party . I am sure that they will be Sonic and SOlid Snake , but Link and Mario are the face of gaming to the world .

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
JordanXlord said:
blalien said:
This is such a cynical, soulless rip-off. Unbelievable.
do you even know what cynical means?

OT:

I find the whole "its a copy of Smash brothers!" thing to be all sorts of meh
but my opinion does not really matter because i am an PC gamer
Based on or reflecting a belief that human conduct is motivated primarily by self-interest? I'd say that's appropriate to this situation. I'm annoyed that Nintendo takes risks to build up good will among its fan base, then Sony copies the ideas that work sans the passion and effort that made those ideas great. Good job contributing to the conversation, by the way. "I have no opinion on this matter, but you maybe used a word wrong." Totally more productive than anything else you could have been doing.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
to me it's pretty fuckin simple:

1)I want to play SSBB, but I don't want a Wii.
2)I do have a Ps3.
3) This ispractically SSBB for the PS3
From this I conclude that I want this game. Provided, of course, that It has a great roster from the beginning. If I even hear someone say 'DLC Characters' I will kick Kaz Hirai in the shins. Very hard.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
I don't really have a problem with it being an SSBB clone. SSBB is a stupid fun game, so by all means, keep the format. I just wish there were was a stronger lineup of characters. In SSBB, every character brings attacks and combat from the games they've appeared in, and most of them were fairly cartoony, giving it a pretty fair balance between the power of the characters. I just don't see characters like Sly Cooper or Nathan Drake, or for that matter, PaRappa bringing a truly great combat style that can legitamately go toe to toe with Kratos. This is a guy that slaughtered gods, what in the hell are are they gonna do to him? Shoot him? They'd be mutilated in seconds.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Do I finally get to live out my childhood dream? Ratchet vs. Jak vs. Sly Cooper!?
*feints from pure childhood excitement*

Zayle79

Oct 6, 2011
Mortamus said:
For anyone curious, the song is "Genesis" by Justice.

Now, for my two cents worth. For a strong line up, include the ACTUAL all stars.

Suggested:

Cole from Infamous

Keep Kratos, Clown, Killzone, Bigdaddy. Please get rid of PaRappa and Nathan Drake. I'm sorry, I know Nathan and the Uncharted series is popular, but when in the world is he going to bring to the table that can justifiably defeat a Bigdaddy? Hell, what about him v.s. Kratos? He's not like Snake and provided top of the line futuristic military hardware. He's an explorer that knows how to operate a gun. I just don't see that making any sense.
Really, none of those characters could stand up to Kratos. It's Smash Bros; I don't think it's supposed to be remotely realistic.

I think Daxter and Clank should be full-fledged characters, too. They're too awesome to ignore. And what about Final Fantasy characters? They're not PS exclusives, but they were for a long time, and there are plenty of good characters there to inflate the roster.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
Zayle79 said:
Mortamus said:
For anyone curious, the song is "Genesis" by Justice.

Now, for my two cents worth. For a strong line up, include the ACTUAL all stars.

Suggested:

Cole from Infamous

Keep Kratos, Clown, Killzone, Bigdaddy. Please get rid of PaRappa and Nathan Drake. I'm sorry, I know Nathan and the Uncharted series is popular, but when in the world is he going to bring to the table that can justifiably defeat a Bigdaddy? Hell, what about him v.s. Kratos? He's not like Snake and provided top of the line futuristic military hardware. He's an explorer that knows how to operate a gun. I just don't see that making any sense.
Really, none of those characters could stand up to Kratos. It's Smash Bros; I don't think it's supposed to be remotely realistic.

I think Daxter and Clank should be full-fledged characters, too. They're too awesome to ignore. And what about Final Fantasy characters? They're not PS exclusives, but they were for a long time, and there are plenty of good characters there to inflate the roster.
I would say go all out with the Final Fantasy characters, but we kinda already have that with Dissidia. Then again, I'd love to see Sweet Tooth vs Kefka.

sabotstarr

Sep 4, 2008
Balkan said:
sabotstarr said:
Do you thin
Balkan said:
sabotstarr said:
You didnt say that they dont have good enogh characters . You said that they only have 8 characters . Sony doesnt have many iconic characters of gaming (like nintendo do ) because they started making games a lot sooner than Nintendo , and most of the franchises they did in the past were 3rd party . I am sure that they will be Sonic and SOlid Snake , but Link and Mario are the face of gaming to the world .
true point, i was more of just saying that i would want more than 8-10 3rd party characters and 3 franchise characters for me to pay $60 when i could just play the original SSB. But yes they have some characters, and some very good ones, but under the assumption that sony will try and bleed us dry ($60 or so) for a remake of a game that im assuming will be as good as SSB, its just not worth it. If they came out will a mele or brawl length lineup it *might* be worth it, but then again, thats just my opinion, and many people might like to play a sony styled SSB. I am not one of those people =) .