Trailers: Soul Calibur V - Story Trailer

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
So it's finally devolved into Super Saiyan Darth Vader vs. Sephiroth wailing on each other with with objects that can only be identified as slabs of artwork ripped off the walls of a cathedral.

My favorite part is the announcee. "SOUL CALIBUR... five." Like all the epic just drained out because he realized this series should have ended three sequels ago and now it's just Freddy Kruger trying to keep things fresh with modern special effects and a hip hop video at the end.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
SnakeoilSage said:
So it's finally devolved into Super Saiyan Darth Vader vs. Sephiroth wailing on each other with with objects that can only be identified as slabs of artwork ripped off the walls of a cathedral.

My favorite part is the announcee. "SOUL CALIBUR... five." Like all the epic just drained out because he realized this series should have ended three sequels ago and now it's just Freddy Kruger trying to keep things fresh with modern special effects and a hip hop video at the end.
wait, you abandoned a fighting game franchise because of it's story? that's like not eating bacon because it came from a pig.
The story has to be there to flesh out the characters that make a franchise, which isn't even necessary as such because of how in depth the character creation is, and yet, neither of those even matter. it's the gameplay that does... unless you don't have friends or an Internet connection I suppose.

emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:
emeraldrafael said:
OT: wow... Im glad I know what the game is about, cause if I didnt and I bought the game based solely on that trailer, I'd be pissed once I played.
id say thats the beginning of the trailer, and what follows/replaces Patroklos's ugly face would be shorts of other characters fighting.

For everybody's sake, remember that this is showing events at the end of SCIV, not anything that occurs within SCV.
If thats true, you wouldnt expect to see seigfried and yet he's in the game.
I don't understand. Ryu shouldn't be in street fighter because he's fighting Ken in the intro movie? I dont see your logic.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
garjian said:

emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:
emeraldrafael said:
OT: wow... Im glad I know what the game is about, cause if I didnt and I bought the game based solely on that trailer, I'd be pissed once I played.
id say thats the beginning of the trailer, and what follows/replaces Patroklos's ugly face would be shorts of other characters fighting.

For everybody's sake, remember that this is showing events at the end of SCIV, not anything that occurs within SCV.
I don't understand. Ryu shouldn't be in street fighter because he's fighting Ken in the intro movie? I dont see your logic.
Its says the sword loses power, and the video gives you the idea that this is a changing of the guard type story, going from seigfried to Patro. So you would assume the old guard (seig) isnt in it.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:

emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:
emeraldrafael said:

Its says the sword loses power, and the video gives you the idea that this is a changing of the guard type story, going from seigfried to Patro. So you would assume the old guard (seig) isnt in it.
That's talking about Soul Edge/Nightmare. The fact the Nightmare returned with a new host is a plot in SCV's story... bare in mind he had no body in SCIV.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
garjian said:
emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:

emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:
emeraldrafael said:

That's talking about Soul Edge/Nightmare. The fact the Nightmare returned with a new host is a plot in SCV's story... bare in mind he had no body in SCIV.
Dont tell me about the story and about soul edge, I've been with this series since since it was soul edge. and the sword did have a body in soul calibur IV, its had one since Soul Calibur III. Nightmare became his own form, and has had his own body since the third game.

it says the sword has lost its power, and judging from that trailer, I'd say soul Calibur has lost a great amount of power since it broke and lost its hold on seigfried. And since you dont see either sword after the seventeen years later, it can talk about both swords.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
garjian said:
wait, you abandoned a fighting game franchise because of it's story? that's like not eating bacon because it came from a pig.
The story has to be there to flesh out the characters that make a franchise, which isn't even necessary as such because of how in depth the character creation is, and yet, neither of those even matter. it's the gameplay that does... unless you don't have friends or an Internet connection I suppose.
So I don't play Soulcalibur because it's not kosher?

One, if the game is about gameplay, why is it about generic anime stereotypes beating on each other with oversized novelty toys? The original Soul Edge could almost claim some sort of historical credibility, but it seems inevitable that a Japanese-made series would devolve into this state.

Two, if the game is about gameplay, why are they jacking the story into our faces? You're not going to be able to play the way they're showing it in the cinematic, and you know it.

Three, people with friends and internet connections don't play Soulcaibur, they have better games to play. Like... anything.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
SnakeoilSage said:
garjian said:
So I don't play Soulcalibur because it's not kosher?

One, if the game is about gameplay, why is it about generic anime stereotypes beating on each other with oversized novelty toys? The original Soul Edge could almost claim some sort of historical credibility, but it seems inevitable that a Japanese-made series would devolve into this state.

Two, if the game is about gameplay, why are they jacking the story into our faces? You're not going to be able to play the way they're showing it in the cinematic, and you know it.

Three, people with friends and internet connections don't play Soulcaibur, they have better games to play. Like... anything.
1. Its not. it's a shame that it's not like it used to be. this leads into point 2.
2. They're aiming toward a new audience. As SCIV didn't sell well, they're trying to attract new customers and hopefully, fans. Again, Franchises are created through stories, they are maintained by gameplay. As a fan of the series for a considerable time, it's that gameplay that matters to me, and not the carrot on the stick that is characters and story.
3. I don't know why I'm even acknowledging this. The main reason they outsourced the story development team is so they could focus entirely on balance and interesting gameplay. It is a good game, to hear a reason why you think otherwise... I take it you've watched all the demos, per-release build tournaments and streams? yeah?
emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:
emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:

emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:
emeraldrafael said:

Dont tell me about the story and about soul edge, I've been with this series since since it was soul edge. and the sword did have a body in soul calibur IV, its had one since Soul Calibur III. Nightmare became his own form, and has had his own body since the third game.

it says the sword has lost its power, and judging from that trailer, I'd say soul Calibur has lost a great amount of power since it broke and lost its hold on seigfried. And since you dont see either sword after the seventeen years later, it can talk about both swords.
no, he didn't. he was ressurected by Zasalamels magic, hence the purple gas.
We already know Mr. Soul Edge loses that fight, or as you say, Seigfried wouldn't be in the game, and he is.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
garjian said:
emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:
emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:

emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:
emeraldrafael said:

We already know Mr. Soul Edge loses that fight, or as you say, Seigfried wouldn't be in the game, and he is.
He does have his own body. he has his own form, which you can use as a character that has its own endings. If he did not have a body, you would see in every one of his "endings" that he would possess someone. But he doesnt, he works in his own form. in fact his second character forms in some of the games are in fact seigfrieds body but with red hair.

If he lost the fight, there wouldnt be a soul edge at all. Thats the point of all the games. You cant have one blade, because one blade is too powerful for the world, even soul Calibur.

And regardless, seigfried is still IN the game. he's still THE HERO. So that trailer so I find the trailer to be misleading. you would think that nightmare shouldnt be in it (but it is) and you would think seifried shouldnt be in it (and he is, and they did a colossal job of fucking him up as well to the point he may as well not even be seigfried).

In the end, I find it to be misleading. I never said you had too, but I do. I'll still buy the game, cause I know about it, but I would be upset if I had to play as this skinny little blonde haired shit as the "main" character when you still have seigfried in the game.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:
emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:
emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:

emeraldrafael said:
garjian said:
emeraldrafael said:

He does have his own body. he has his own form, which you can use as a character that has its own endings. If he did not have a body, you would see in every one of his "endings" that he would possess someone. But he doesnt, he works in his own form. in fact his second character forms in some of the games are in fact seigfrieds body but with red hair.

If he lost the fight, there wouldnt be a soul edge at all. Thats the point of all the games. You cant have one blade, because one blade is too powerful for the world, even soul Calibur.

And regardless, seigfried is still IN the game. he's still THE HERO. So that trailer so I find the trailer to be misleading. you would think that nightmare shouldnt be in it (but it is) and you would think seifried shouldnt be in it (and he is, and they did a colossal job of fucking him up as well to the point he may as well not even be seigfried).

In the end, I find it to be misleading. I never said you had too, but I do. I'll still buy the game, cause I know about it, but I would be upset if I had to play as this skinny little blonde haired shit as the "main" character when you still have seigfried in the game.
The black, crusty body with energy leaking out of it is certainly not the fully human form he had in SCIII and what he now has in SCV. I don't think I need to tell you that a suit of armor with a spirit pouring out of it is not a body.
Again, the initial mystery is that Nightmare has returned even though he was supposed to be defeated, with an entirely new host.

Do you really think if Soul Edge had beaten Soul Calibur, and Soul Valibur lost it's power, that in 17 YEARS Soul Edge wouldn't have managed to destroyed the world and absorb every soul in it. The only way any one of those characters would be alive after the 17 year gap is if Soul Calibur had won.

I don't think Seigfried is the hero anymore either. They keep mentioning that he isn't the main character and patroklos is. Seigfried only has Requiem swords so far, and soul calibur is now a short sword in concept this time. (which does open a possible story in which soul calibur loses, but I know that not to be the case)

If you've paid attention to the story screens, you'd see Pat fighting bandits, Pat fighting ZWEI, ZWEI joining Pat, and so on. Siegs not what he was.
also http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/soul-calibur-v/achievements/ ...all the story achievements are pictures of Pat.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
One question: Does it have Tales of Souls mode? Because if it doesn't I'm not getting it.