Trailers: Torchlight 2 - Cinematic Trailer

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
And when Diablo 3 comes tapping on my shoulder I'll be saying "Huh? Oh it's you, not right now, I'm busy."

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Nautical Honors Society said:
It won't touch Diablo. Diablo is a legend. Gamers need to realize that SC, WoW, and Diablo are just going to be around and popular for a while longer.
Diablo 3 will sell better, no question.
Diablo 3 is a worse game than Torchlight 1.

Why? Well I played the open beta this weekend. My wife was streaming content over the net to our TV. The game LAGGED. I was playing singleplayer, and the game LAGGED. I played and got lag from THEIR servers too. Lag. Playing by myself: Lag. Not 'Your computer is shitty' lag. Internet lag. And I have 25 mpbs internet.

I also got 'timed out' requests when trying to pick my character.

Also: The skill tree sucks and the combat is severely limited.

Diablo 3 will sell better, but only by brand name alone. The game itself is embarrassing.

Aposthebest

Mar 17, 2010
Signa said:
Aposthebest said:
Funny how everything announced about this genre has at least one or two people crying about D3's DRM,every single time. Seriously now?
I can't speak for everyone, but for me the stability of my internet is irrelevant to the argument of Online DRM. The question that no one will answer is what happens to my game in 10-15 years? I can still play Baldur's Gate because I have my disks, and Diablo 2 is perfectly functional in single player and LAN play without ever talking to Blizzard's servers. There will come a time in the future where Diablo 3 will not be allowed to run, and Diablo 2 will.

To each their own, but I would never tell my fellow PC gamers to throw $60 at a game they won't be able to play every time in their lives that they feel like it. There's other, usually cheaper games that won't pull that shit on their customers.
Diablo 2 servers are still up and going after what,10-11 years? We don't know how things will end up. After all,a single patch can solve the DRM issue if they decide that it's not proffitable anymore to keep the servers going.

And I mean,seriously, people have managed to put stress on companies after crying about a bad ending (*cough* *cough*), not even for demanding to actually be able to play the game. So,ye...I'd personally worry whether the game itself would actually last that long.

Lncredible

Mar 23, 2009
Ouch. That trailer was neither informative of particularly exciting. On pure cinematics, Diablo III's trailers are much better.

Excited to play both.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
I really don't think it's fair to judge D3's server reliability with an open beta.
Nor the entire game on just a part of an act.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Aposthebest said:
Signa said:
Aposthebest said:
Funny how everything announced about this genre has at least one or two people crying about D3's DRM,every single time. Seriously now?
I can't speak for everyone, but for me the stability of my internet is irrelevant to the argument of Online DRM. The question that no one will answer is what happens to my game in 10-15 years? I can still play Baldur's Gate because I have my disks, and Diablo 2 is perfectly functional in single player and LAN play without ever talking to Blizzard's servers. There will come a time in the future where Diablo 3 will not be allowed to run, and Diablo 2 will.

To each their own, but I would never tell my fellow PC gamers to throw $60 at a game they won't be able to play every time in their lives that they feel like it. There's other, usually cheaper games that won't pull that shit on their customers.
Diablo 2 servers are still up and going after what,10-11 years? We don't know how things will end up. After all,a single patch can solve the DRM issue if they decide that it's not proffitable anymore to keep the servers going.

And I mean,seriously, people have managed to put stress on companies after crying about a bad ending (*cough* *cough*), not even for demanding to actually be able to play the game. So,ye...I'd personally worry whether the game itself would actually last that long.
Yes, but the Halo 2 servers have been down for a few years already. Obviously, it's a case-by-case matter. My point still stands that features of the games you buy with your hard-earned cash may not be around for as long as you'd like. No other medium does this, because I can still watch my VHS tapes and play CDs if I really want to.

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
Baby Tea said:
It won't touch Diablo. Diablo is a legend. Gamers need to realize that SC, WoW, and Diablo are just going to be around and popular for a while longer.

Why? Well I played the open beta this weekend. My wife was streaming content over the net to our TV. The game LAGGED. I was playing singleplayer, and the game LAGGED. I played and got lag from THEIR servers too. Lag. Playing by myself: Lag. Not 'Your computer is shitty' lag. Internet lag. And I have 25 mpbs internet.

Diablo 3 will sell better, but only by brand name alone. The game itself is embarrassing.
Blizzard has very stable servers, I have almost never experienced lag on their end when in WoW or SC2, and I can't imagine why D3 would be any different. The D3 beta server(s) were simply not meant to handle the sudden flood of new players.

You should also note that D3 will sell much better because it is released earlier than TL2.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Well this looks... What's the word. Oh right:
Bad.

We'll see TL2, we'll see, but after the first game it's hard to forgive you existing.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Cannot wait to co-op this with my buddy. We both loved the first one, and this new mouse needs some breaking in--gotta get it's clicks up to speed.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009

Oh, it was being serious. I spent that whole video expecting some kind of Deathspank-style joke.

Also, getting flashbacks of Shank. Is this made by the same people or something?

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I loved the first one for the most part(there were a few small things that bugged me to no end) and the next one will hopefully be better. The only problem I can see having with the next Torchlight is waiting for to become available for the 360 so that I can actually play it. B(

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
That animation style.

Well, at least the game has almost no way of being worse than its trailer.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Wow, they really did go overboard with that trailer. Amazing CGI. Fantastic sound effects and a gripping intro to the next part...

*cough*

Okay, I couldn't say that with a straight face. Man, that trailer is bad!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Exocet said:
I really don't think it's fair to judge D3's server reliability with an open beta.
Nor the entire game on just a part of an act.
It was awful in closed beta as well. It's been awful for months.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
I found the first Torchlight to be extremely boring, and I really don't know why people like it so much. I may give a chance to T2 though. Right now Legend of Grimrock is satisfying my dungeon crawling needs.

Sep 17, 2009
Baby Tea said:

The open beta is not really what the game is going to be like...it was kinda a segmented demo-thing they let us play to test their servers.

You shouldn't judge a game that isn't out yet.

It could suck, but hey, I enjoyed the beta. Torchlight was kinda a lame game too...

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
The open beta is not really what the game is going to be like...it was kinda a segmented demo-thing they let us play to test their servers.

Somethings will change, I'm sure. I don't doubt Blizzard's servers will be pretty strong. You can't run the world's most popular MMO without knowing something about server stability. However, if they bring their servers down for maintenance (Which happens) you can't play your single player game. That's bullshit.

If you have a shitty net connection, your game WILL lag. Even when playing alone. The game you've installed on your PC, is still, in effect, running off their servers. Shitty internet? Shitty game. That won't change. That's bullshit.

Both those things are pretty big deal breakers. If I wanted an MMO, I'd buy one.

Beyond the fact that the combat is so limited. I was playing as a wizard, and as far as I can tell: you can't even use your weapon. The weapon stats are linked to your default attack, but you don't actually swing the weapon. That's freaking retarded. Even the Sorceress in Diablo 2 could split some skulls with her staff if the need arose. Now I get to lug around a big sword, but never ever use it.

All that on top of some serious gameplay changes to the series that aren't inherently bad, but that I personally don't like.

The game was sorta fun, sure, but am I going to pay $60 for that 'always connected' mess?
Eff no. Torchlight 2 has multiplayer, MODs (Which Diablo 3 does NOT have), LAN support, huge single player, deep skill trees, no DRM, and it's $20.

I love the Diablo series. I have been playing since the first one came out. I was there to see the Monk's debut in the 'unofficial' Hellfire Expansion. I killed Diablo, Baal, and Mephisto. I love the shit of the series. But that love can't get over the fact that this game is a mess.

It's an eff-you to fans and paying customers, and it's an absolute pass.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Baby Tea said:

Somethings will change, I'm sure. I don't doubt Blizzard's servers will be pretty strong. You can't run the world's most popular MMO without knowing something about server stability. However, if they bring their servers down for maintenance (Which happens) you can't play your single player game. That's bullshit.

If you have a shitty net connection, your game WILL lag. Even when playing alone. The game you've installed on your PC, is still, in effect, running off their servers. Shitty internet? Shitty game. That won't change. That's bullshit.

Both those things are pretty big deal breakers. If I wanted an MMO, I'd buy one.

Beyond the fact that the combat is so limited. I was playing as a wizard, and as far as I can tell: you can't even use your weapon. The weapon stats are linked to your default attack, but you don't actually swing the weapon. That's freaking retarded. Even the Sorceress in Diablo 2 could split some skulls with her staff if the need arose. Now I get to lug around a big sword, but never ever use it.

All that on top of some serious gameplay changes to the series that aren't inherently bad, but that I personally don't like.

The game was sorta fun, sure, but am I going to pay $60 for that 'always connected' mess?
Eff no. Torchlight 2 has multiplayer, MODs (Which Diablo 3 does NOT have), LAN support, huge single player, deep skill trees, no DRM, and it's $20.

I love the Diablo series. I have been playing since the first one came out. I was there to see the Monk's debut in the 'unofficial' Hellfire Expansion. I killed Diablo, Baal, and Mephisto. I love the shit of the series. But that love can't get over the fact that this game is a mess.

It's an eff-you to fans and paying customers, and it's an absolute pass.
As a small note to combat, if you were using melee in Diablo past level... I don't know, 15? You were doing it wrong, especially if it was the sorceress. They specifically made caster combat to have abilities which were near-free to never have any need of entering the fray (lest you used the melee Signature spell, in which case, swords in front of your face all you want). It's a design change to the whole game. Every class has abilities that either cost nothing or generate their primary resource for combat. Auto-attacks were NOT relevant in D2, and all Blizzard did was emphasize that here.

Also, if the "role-playing" value of auto-attacking is something you, well, value, put it on your bar. I had fun in the beta with a melee demon hunter. It was godawful, but entertaining.

No comment of anything else. Connection was never an issue here.
oh OH "DEEP" skill trees. I did get a kick out of that, though.