Trailers: Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - CG Trailer

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - CG Trailer

Watch as the occupants of the Marvel universe fight their Capcom counterparts in this beautifully made trailer.

Watch Video

Dec 14, 2009
I love that 'partial nudity' pretty much refers to Morrigan and Felicia.

Damn, the Darkstalkers are skanky, and Felicia is supposed to be a nun!

I'm loving this game, the balance tweaks are great and the new characters are varied.

Ammy, Vergil and Morrigan are BFFs.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Great, another trailer with the Inception horn.

What ever happened to using Don LaFontaine?

Or the soundtrack to Requiem for a Dream?

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
While appreciating the work that undoubtedly went into making this, and how much it fills my "happy geek" meter to see it... I wish the game it was actually referring to looked or played ANYTHING like this instead of a standard arcade fighting game.

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
The3rdEye said:
While appreciating the work that undoubtedly went into making this, and how much it fills my "happy geek" meter to see it... I wish the game it was actually referring to looked or played ANYTHING like this instead of a standard arcade fighting game.
Explain to me how this would work and I'll concede that there's something wrong with standard arcade fighting games.

Lamnidae

Apr 16, 2009
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Marvel vs Capcom 3? Seems to me it's the same game but then with maybe some extra characters? Even the same Boss? What? They should do what Yathzee mentioned in his review... Make one game with all characters, give'em all a worthy storyline and their own bossfights. And extra characters and environments for dlc's. Pay 60euros for 5 new characters out of 30 and the same bossfight? What? Nice trailer anyway... To bad the game can't live up to it...

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
HigherTomorrow said:
The3rdEye said:
Explain to me how this would work and I'll concede that there's something wrong with standard arcade fighting games.
My point was actually that what you see in the trailer suggests something other than "yet another" fighting game. I have no problem with fighting games, although I don't typically play them as once I've seen every character's move list they lose all appeal for me. Nothing in that trailer suggests that the game it's showing takes place in a 30' 2D static arena, nor does it reveal that it's just a bunch of scripted move sets contrary to what the pictures of Bionic Commando and Iron Man or Strider and Spidey would have you believe.

The trailer shows a multitude of recognizable characters in vibrant and dynamic environments with a 3D tracking camera as the characters perform their own signature moves and contest those of others while damaging the 3D playing area.

What does MvC3 actually have?

recognizable characters? - Yeup
dynamic environments? - Nope
3D tracking camera? - Nope (the intro/victory crap does not cut it)
contest those of others - Nope, standard move sets. Morrigan will avoid damage from a Unibeam the same way she does for a haduken
damaging the 3D playing area - Double Nope. Yes the environment art is 3D, but you are still only moving in two dimensions.

This trailer is better suited for something along the lines of MvC Ultimate Alliance (which would be awesome) or a MvC meets Dead or Alive (which would also be extra awesome). Instead, 2D fighting game whose only originality come from characters that are in some cases older than the people playing the game.

TL:DR - I was stating that what they show does not look like a fighting game and I never implied there's anything wrong with fighting games. This sort of treatment would be much more suitable to a game like MvC Ultimate Alliance rather than a fighter. [footnote]Actually a MvC action game with RPG elements and (substantially) more depth than Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1/2 would be freaking sweet.[/footnote]

Halcyone3

Mar 4, 2011
The3rdEye said:
TL:DR - I was stating that what they show does not look like a fighting game and I never implied there's anything wrong with fighting games. This sort of treatment would be much more suitable to a game like MvC Ultimate Alliance rather than a fighter.
To be quite honest, it being a fighting game, you can find actual gameplay of it without any trouble. It's not like the trailer is going to "lie" to a player into buying the game not knowing its a fighting game. The fighting game industry does not even have to bother making their own gameplay trailers, gamers do that themselves by recording during location test periods and such. As a matter of fact, gameplay trailers made by the developers are usually not even taken that seriously as the characters are always just mashing in those and not doing anything practical, so they tend to tell extremely little.

In any case, nothing wrong with a developer making a "our game is hype!!! :D" trailer. Not much you can do in a cinematic for a fighting game, except have people fighting each other, which this one does. Only things they could have done to make it more "fighting game" like would be to add hp bars and show it all from 2D, but at that point, why would anyone watch this instead of gameplay?

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
The3rdEye said:
ARGH! How am I supposed to post if people say exactly what I was thinking!? But, did anyone else get a "creepy" vibe from the X-23 vs. NEMESIS one? Damn it, I know about too much hentai....*shudders*

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
Halcyone3 said:
As a matter of fact, gameplay trailers made by the developers are usually not even taken that seriously as the characters are always just mashing in those and not doing anything practical, so they tend to tell extremely little.
That would be my point. I know there's the entire "If it's not broken, don't fix it" aspect to consider, however I would like to think that fighting games as a genre or even just the MvC licence holders might be a little more ambitious with their titles, to say nothing of the "Don't buy Street Fighter #X, wait until the real version Super Ultra Turbo Street Fighter #X comes out with all the characters" scenario.

Halcyone3 said:
In any case, nothing wrong with a developer making a "our game is hype!!! :D" trailer. Not much you can do in a cinematic for a fighting game, except have people fighting each other, which this one does. Only things they could have done to make it more "fighting game" like would be to add hp bars and show it all from 2D, but at that point, why would anyone watch this instead of gameplay?
I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. For one, all that they showed didn't have to stay as hype, much of it would actually be executable in a game. I did not mean to imply that they were "lying", but rather if they're going to make such an intriguing trailer, why is their game so bland by comparison? At least other bullshot trailers come out before the actual release of the game, and even then there's usually as much truth as fiction in them (Skyrim), or at the very least the styling is so drastically different that you just identify it as bullshot right away (Dead Island).

To me the message here is "We could have done this and look how cool it would have been." and the only progression is a different roster and a different art style. If you are fine with that and it's all you need, rock on.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
How many times are we going to be shown this same trailer? It's already been posted here once or maybe even twice.
EDIT: Ahh they've added the new characters, never mind.

Halcyone3

Mar 4, 2011
The3rdEye said:
lots of words
Do you know who fighting games like MVC are targeted towards? not you

Fighting games are a genre that is all about balance and mechanics. The target audience does not play to see "cool", they play to compete and win. They don't care about something looking cool, or having cool camera angles or any of that stuff (as a matter of fact, super long "cool" super animations are looked down upon, they slow down the pace of the game). They just care that the game is balanced enough that they can pick a character that fits them and have a competitive edge. They care that the game has decently deep mechanics and the characters have a lot to offer.

"We could have done this and look how cool it would have been"
This part in particular. If you are saying that if they had the time to make the trailer look cool, then they had the time to implement all that cool stuff into the game AND keep it balanced, then you have no idea what you are talking about.

Also, the progression is not only a different roster and art style, yet another clue that you are talking about a genre you know next to nothing about.

For the record, i don't even like MVC, tag mechanics in fighting games don't sit well with me. I do however play other fighting games. Do not take this as some sort of fanboy ranting at someone bashing a game he likes or anything like that, just a guy letting another one know that he has no clue what hes talking about.

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
Halcyone3 said:
The3rdEye said:
lots of words
Do you know who fighting games like MVC are targeted towards? not you

Fighting games are a genre that is all about balance and mechanics. The target audience does not play to see "cool", they play to compete and win. They don't care about something looking cool, or having cool camera angles or any of that stuff (as a matter of fact, super long "cool" super animations are looked down upon, they slow down the pace of the game). They just care that the game is balanced enough that they can pick a character that fits them and have a competitive edge. They care that the game has decently deep mechanics and the characters have a lot to offer.
Do you realize the extent of the incongruently between what you're saying compared to the trailer? iow, this trailer is everything that you have just said fighter game fans don't care about.

"We could have done this and look how cool it would have been"
Halcyone3 said:
This part in particular. If you are saying that if they had the time to make the trailer look cool, then they had the time to implement all that cool stuff into the game AND keep it balanced, then you have no idea what you are talking about.
Nope, I never suggested that, implicitly or otherwise. Hell, I didn't even think that.

*Edit - No, actually I did say that. Poor wording on my part. What I meant was that if they had this much creativity and design available, why did they turn out something so similar to MvC2? I still stand behind the idea that a MvC game done in the style of Marvel Ultimate Alliance (with deeper mechanics and story) for action gamers would be awesome (although nearly impossible to execute.I don't think Ryu would translate to 3Q/iso very well), or a DoA style fighter game where you can move on all three axis and have some lasting impact on the environment.

Halcyone3 said:
Also, the progression is not only a different roster and art style, yet another clue that you are talking about a genre you know next to nothing about.
So what is the progression then? What is different aside from the roster and style in this iteration? True there are the tag switch combos, and the controls have been reworked a little, but please substantiate your own argument.

Halcyone3 said:
For the record, i don't even like MVC, tag mechanics in fighting games don't sit well with me. I do however play other fighting games. Do not take this as some sort of fanboy ranting at someone bashing a game he likes or anything like that, just a guy letting another one know that he has no clue what hes talking about.
It was never said that I don't play fighting games.
MvC 1 2, SF2, MK1 2 3, Soul Calibur 1 2 3 4, Bushido Blade, Marvel vs Street Fighter, DoA 1 2 3, Primal Rage
which should at least entitle me to having an experienced opinion, if not an educated one.

Although I guess all this is moot considering
Halcyone3 said:
For the record, i don't even like MVC
So why exactly is my opinion on a series I DO like of any interest or concern to you?