Trailers: Warhammer 40k: Space Marine - "I Am War" Cinematic Trailer

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
I desperately wanted this game when I saw the first teaser trailers involving a punch up with a Chaos Marine and time has only increased my desire for this epic looking game-FOR THE EMPEROR!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Abanic said:
Once players are familiar with the basics of what a Chapter is and how it's laid out, then you can go into Non-Codex Astartes Chapters (Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Black Templars, Blood Angels, Grey Knights, etc) or Chapters that are technically Codex Chapters but have a more in-depth backstory that would require additional time/resources to explain to a new player (Salamanders, Imperial Fists, Raven Guard, Crimson Fists, White Scars, etc).
Mostly agree with that...but White Scars definitely aren't Codex chapters, don't think the Salamander or Raven Guard are either.

OP: Did anyone else feel the voice over was really bad? So generic B-grade action movie -ey. Now, yeah, trailers are likely to be that way, but 40k is supposed to be anything but generic, can't get away with it the same as other things can, IMHO.

Mr Smith

Apr 22, 2010
I'd love to see future 40k video games based on Space Wolves (the Lone Wolf angle) or Assassins (with options to play using each main temple).

Abanic

Jul 26, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Abanic said:
Once players are familiar with the basics of what a Chapter is and how it's laid out, then you can go into Non-Codex Astartes Chapters (Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Black Templars, Blood Angels, Grey Knights, etc) or Chapters that are technically Codex Chapters but have a more in-depth backstory that would require additional time/resources to explain to a new player (Salamanders, Imperial Fists, Raven Guard, Crimson Fists, White Scars, etc).
Mostly agree with that...but White Scars definitely aren't Codex chapters, don't think the Salamander or Raven Guard are either.
I'm afraid they are.
Codex Chapters do not have to follow the exact force organization chart of the Codex Astartes, but they do structure their Chapter around Roboute Guilliman's guidelines. This means that there will be a Chapter of roughly 1000 Marines divided into 10 companies, the first being the Veteran Company, 2-5 being Battle Companies, 6-9 being Reserve Companies, and the 10th company being a Scout Company. Whether their Battle Companies comprise of Tactical squads (as in most Ultramarine successors), or Bikes (such as White Scars), or Assault troops (such as Raven Guard) the company itself is still a "Battle Company" and is deployed as such.

Guilliman structured the Codex Astartes to be flexible when concerning his brother's Legions to allow for them to maintain much of their divergent heritage as they restructured to Chapters.

Non-Codex Chapters are typified by the Chapter maintaining it's own structure (Dark Angels, Black Templars, Space Wolves), training methodology (Black Templars), administrative origin (Grey Knights), or non-Codex equipment/personnel (Grey Knights, Blood Angels).

The White Scars are a Codex Chapter, but they base their tactics off of a hit-and-run mentality. This hit-and-run style has led them to organize most of their Battle Companies on bikes to allow for fast deployment and movement. They still structure their Chapter off the guidelines of the Codex Astartes though.

Please refer to page 24 of the Space Marine Codex by Games Workshop, the section is called "Codex Chapters".