Trailers: XCOM: Enemy Unknown - E3 Trailer

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Um- I appreciate the difference in genre and all but resemblance to a bombastic gears of war clone is an accident right? Right?

Weird, but this trailer has reduced my interest in the game considerably. The power of marketing I guess.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This game damn well better have a tutorial of some sort. I gave up on the original because I had no clue what I was supposed to be doing even after a good half hour of experimentation.

P.S. Thanks

Lever

Jun 30, 2011
rhizhim said:
hell yeah!
Psychonic soldiers.

but i fear they have forgotten destructable enviroment like in the first game.
They havent, > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uHHmTSDCvA @1:55 they demonstrate taking out a wall with a rocket launcher. The destruction isn't physics based though, it's tile based, so no taking down buildings D:

Lever

Jun 30, 2011
Hey man, don't be too hard on that rectangular solid, it can't help being what it is.

To be serious though, when I first saw the "black goo" I was kinda interested, it seemed that they were going to use elements from XCOM Apocalypse. Then came the prism... you know that people are out of ideas when basic geometry becomes a terrifying new horror... that or you're in High School...

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
Covarr said:
This game damn well better have a tutorial of some sort. I gave up on the original because I had no clue what I was supposed to be doing even after a good half hour of experimentation.

P.S. Thanks
They do apparantly it's around 2 hours in length so that should help get a grasp on the basics.

I am really hyped up for this game! The trailer doesn't tell me much we didn't already know and it seems like it was made to hype up the Cod lovers but as long as the actual game stays true(ish) to the original I will be chuffed!

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
rhizhim said:
hell yeah!
Psychonic soldiers.

but i fear they have forgotten destructable enviroment like in the first game.

UnderGlass said:
Um- I appreciate the difference in genre and all but resemblance to a bombastic gears of war clone is an accident right? Right?

Weird but this trailer has reduced my interest in the game considerably. The power of marketing I guess.
right. do not worry. it is a strategy game
Sure, I mean I've been following the game as well (with cautious optimism) but... I don't know, I guess it's a tone thing. Don't get me wrong. I do not expect it to slavishly adhere to the old game's design, but X-COM had a particular tone and what I just saw in that trailer was not it. I kind of feel that it was trying to sell the game to a different audience.

Also - and this is entirely objective I know - but before I was at worst ambivalent to the soldier designs. Now I actively dislike the art style of Gruff McBuffsky soldier drones waddling out into the battlefield with their poor, tiny little heads sandwiched between oversized, mutant shoulders. Again, it's a tone thing. The game just has to work harder now for me to like it. We'll see. I'm sure it looks great to everyone else.

KapnKerfuffle

May 17, 2008
Looks pretty good to me!
I can forgive the slightly GOW look as long as it doesn't play like GOW. This one is going to mop the floor with the other one.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
With regards to 2K Marin's project...while I'm still adamant that its connection with XCOM is tenuous at best, they -are- trying to do their own thing with it:

People have had complaints about samey grey/brown shooters for a while now. Well there you go. Maybe it won't be a good game, maybe it's not an XCOM game, but at least they're trying something slightly different.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
I've said for awhile that all they really had to do was a graphics and audio update to the original. Those 2 aspects were the only things that made the original feel antiquated. I know that a direct upgrade sounds a bit too fanboy-ish, but the original's gameplay mechanics still hold up today.

O.T: This looks promising, but the video game gods dislike premature praise. Therefore, I'll say that it's complete garbage and will ultimately fail. There, that should appease them.

Lever

Jun 30, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Looks good to me. I dig the action figure look and the b-movie "Invasion!" vibe. Hopefully all the Xenowar I've been playing will help keep my ass from getting kicked too hard.
If they do it right... then no, it won't help at all, at least on max difficulty :D

I'm really looking forward to this, I'm really hoping that they're willing to make the game truly unforgiving on the harder difficulty levels.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Yep, they can just scrap development of their big, dumb, glossy, mindless FPS now. It doesn't stand a chance.

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
This looks awesome. That said the real selling point for this has been the development explanations on YouTube that show just how easily people can die, how combat is fairly similar to the original and that there will be chryssalids. The fact that they're shrinking the squad size down from 12 for the sky ranger and 16 for the avenger to between 4 and 6. So you'll have about a third as many guys which means that they're will most likely be slightly fewer bullshit deaths, but that the deaths will matter more when they happen.

Also for anyone complaining that it looks super easy compared to the original please remember:

1. There will be an iron man mode so you can prove that you never lost.
2. Squad deaths will still be permanent and with the new leveling system they will matter even more than in the original.
3. Psionics clearly need to be fixed because lord knows those are broken in the original.

Here's a link for the video showing them playing through a sample level:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWU9wxlIxig&list=PL73782C9542830CA6&index=34&feature=plpp_video

Here's a video where they talk about the tutorial and end game content:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmrob4oHhZk&list=PL73782C9542830CA6&index=35&feature=plpp_video

If you don't think this is true to the original here's a video series of someone doing an iron man for the entire original game complete with wonderful narration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOlmDcKr_0U&feature=plcp