Training to be a bartender and need help with memorization techniques.

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
So as the title says, I'm 17, training to be a bartender for when I turn 18 in a week from now (I live in the UK) and as a result I'm trying to memorize cocktail recipes. there are many to learn and they're all in list form with ingredients, glass used, garnish and procedure.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with techniques to help me memorize information in this format. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Id think actually making them would be the best way. I know me personally, I remember/learn better by actually doing than just memorizing. Perhaps saying it aloud as you go along to help you associate it all.

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
Just take a bunch of paper and write down a single recipe until you filled the entire page, then flip and repeat.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Practice making them. It'll help associate the drink name with all the ingredients and dishes. It would also help to have someone around willing to tell you if they taste right too.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Try being a volunteer bartender for your friends' weddings/birthday parties/graduation parties/enrolment parties/moving out parties/etc. It's not like they're going to make unfair demands if you slip up or ask how something is made, and your friends will be thankful for making their gig a little more classy/cheaper. Win-win.

You might even get them to help move your fridge when/if you change apartments, or some other favour. Plus strangers like the 'good friend' type who will willingly help serve/clean up at a party they go to. So you might find a nice girl or guy while doing so in the process. Assuming you're single and looking.

I personally like people who are the 'good friend' type and are willing to roll up their sleeve and help a host out a bit.

hermajesty

Jul 19, 2016
I believe doing things is the quickest way to memorise it. Reflex memory will always be the best.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Venom 3135 said:
So as the title says, I'm 17, training to be a bartender for when I turn 18 in a week from now (I live in the UK) and as a result I'm trying to memorize cocktail recipes. there are many to learn and they're all in list form with ingredients, glass used, garnish and procedure.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with techniques to help me memorize information in this format. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
It depends on what kind of leaner you are. Like others have said, it could be just making the drinks over and over and over.

It could be writing the name of a cocktail on one side, then on the other write everything about it, repeat for 10 different cocktails, shuffle, leave for a day, then read the name of the cocktail and say out loud everything about it, flip it over and see what you got right. Or just get a friend to pop quiz you.

another way is to watch somebody else make them talk about them, take notes etc.