Trans Character in a game

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
Its perfectly easy, just don't constantly bring it up and don't mention it when you first meet the character. For instance, at the end of the original Metriod, Samus takes her helmet off reveling that she is a woman catching the player off guard and changing his/hers perspective on the game. You don't have to do the big reveal right at the very end, you just need to give the player enough time to think he knows the character before dropping this bomb shell.

Also be careful how you design the character, you don't want the player to think he has been tricked into thinking this character is a different sex. Give subtle hints in the design like a more feminine face or broader shoulders will work great, nothing to obvious but something subtle works wonders.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
I wholly intend to create a game with not one - but TWO transgendered characters! It will be relevant to the plot and tasteful ^_^

Nokturos

Nov 17, 2009
In order to make it obvious, it would end up being a caricature instead of a realistic representation, so no. Besides, you could always just imagine that some already existing characters are transexuals. Look at Link and imagine a slightly bigger bust and smaller hands and there you go.

Mar 9, 2010
I wouldn't. Aside from appearance I don't think gender should be playing much role in story and character. Same with sexuality. I wish people would stop with this shit, trying to shoehorn it into games so they can feel progressive.

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
Gender , race, sexuality, none of these things make a good/bad or interesting/dull character.

the character is defined by the story they tell and you experience together.

Take the example of A female shepard and a Mono gendered race like the Asari. from Mass Effect.

the base issues of cross species , same gender( from human stand point) differing genders from ( asari)
were touched on between a relationship between Femshep and Liara.
Bit it wasnt all there was to these characters.

A small part of their whole didn't define them rather the whole package.

A main lead who is transgendered among other traits and acknowledgments is the right type of character
One who's only defining characteristic is that they are trans is a lesser character to experience a story with

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Easy way of doing it is the same as the easy way of having any other LGBT character in a game. Don't bother to bring it up except as part of what makes that character 'them', in terms of characterisation. Naturally anything like being gay or being trans would have some effect, however small, on the personality of that character, just as being black or Asian would, or being intelligent or being stupid would, or whatever. It's all part of that character's personality, and how they developed. If you want to write a well-rounded, well written character, then you have to consider everything about them, and what makes them the person they are, and that's the only thing you should be thinking of. Otherwise, if it's not plot related, don't bother bringing it up anyway, even if 'Word of God' from you as a writer or whatever is that a specific character is whatever they are.

Case in point, I'm starting to write the concept and story for a game I have planned, and the main character is bisexual. This doesn't ever get brought up except with a few hints dropped that are part of her journal, which is a major part of the gameplay. I only mention it anyway in the game because it's part of the plot and part of her development as a character, since part of the plot is driven specifically by a love triangle she finds herself in with her ex-boyfriend and a female friend who is openly lesbian - the plot itself is driven by a conflict between them, and focuses on plenty of topics, not just any of the characters being LGBT. If the plot didn't call for this then I wouldn't ever mention in-game that any character is LGBT, because it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever.

The most important thing to remember when writing any character, whether they have a specifically defined race, gender, religion, sexuality, or anything else, is that at the end of the day they are all people, and will be normal people regardless of these other traits. Hence it's ultimately unimportant in the grander scheme of things. (Look at Neil Gaiman's 'Neverwhere', for instance - he's confirmed outside the book that two characters are gay yet we never find out who, and only have very subtle hints to one of them in the text... I have my suspicions on the other but it's ultimately irrelevant :p).

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
Don't know if this has been posted, but there is a new-grounds game made by a trans girl about her experiences as being trans. TBH i don't like it very much, but it is a trans-focused game, {with sprite graphics:p} the link is spoilered below
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/591565
On topic though i dont really see the point in making the character transgender unless you were making some social commentary. I mean, the crying game is a popular movie about a trans character and they made Dil's transgender status something thematic i believe in the film.

So maybe for inspiration, watch movies with transgender people and see if you can craft a back story with that.

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
I can't see a particularly good way of doing it really. If you make it just an unmentioned part of a character's back-story just for the sake of it, it could just as easily not be the case and makes very little difference. If you make it a big focus of a character then you risk having someone defined by their trans status and not by their actual character. Making it too big a focus would probably end up having the game itself, or portions of it, centred around transgender issues, which is fine, but would somewhat limit the range of games that trans people could appear in while having the trans element be relevant at all.

Really I feel games need to focus on simply writing good characters, where being trans might fit well as just a facet of a character's life and personality, but again getting the balance between it being completely irrelevant and never mentioned, and having it being an insensitive 'look at the token trans character', would be incredibly difficult I think, not least because you're bound to upset one group of people or another regardless of what you do with it.

Personally I could never do a good job writing a trans character because I am not trans myself and have never met anyone who is, and hence could not do justice to the struggles and effects of being in such a position. Also I feel I have no concept of gender identity in the first place, rendering the whole issue somewhat more confusing to me than it already is.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
It would likely change the whole characterisation. Or, it would in any game where characters weren't cardboard cutouts. Transgendered individuals deal with things differently on a thousand little levels.
For purposes of understanding, can you give examples or explain some of these things.

I'm somewhat ignorant on the subject I suppose. Outside of sexual context, gender is kinda a non-issue for me.

In what ways do transgendered people act that are different than set female or male people,
or do you mean ways people/environment treat transgendered people?

Captcha: that hurts
I'm sorry, but it's for the sake of understanding.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
No worries, OP. High Moon has got you covered for all your Trans-gaming needs.

Sorry for the pun.

But in all the seriousness, the only trans character I can think of is Poison from Final Fight. She might have been retconned to just female now, I'm not sure.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Queen Michael said:
I'd make the transgender part of her a very small part of the game. As in, it wouldn't have any real impact on the gameplay. That's usually what people like the most; when you don't make a big deal of it.
The only problem with that of course is that this approach may go down well with people that like to consider themselves progressive, but in actual fact a person's status as transgender probably becomes one of (if not THE) most important things in their life.

You can handle it two ways; have everyone ignore it or gently approve, or have "TRANNY!" screamed at them every hour or two and every so often either have them attacked or have some guy disdainfully try to sleep with them to sate their curiosity. Both are characters that are trans but only one of the two will reflect reality and actually offer a useful character study.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Dismal purple said:
OT: Did no one play enchanted arms ? Shame gaming comunity , For shame.
I did a while ago but I don't remember any Trans characters, just one incredibly camp one.

If I made a game with a trans character then I would make it as irrelevant to the plot as possible. If the entire premise of the game is 'Look! You play as someone who is transgendered. So innovative!' then it's probably going to be a flop. I would prefer it if the character just did stuff and happened to be trans, but it's no big deal. Because it shouldn't be. It's like if you made a game with a female lead and tried to hype it up as being something totally radical to the norm when it's just a reskinned shooter or something.

Obviously if you were trying to make a point about trans folk and the shit they have to put up with then it would be better to push that right in peoples' faces. It would probably make them uncomfortable but I guess that would be the point, uncomfortable truth.

norashepard said:
Not to mention, having a trans* character just act "normal" is kind of offensive. It reeks of assimilation. The idea that, for a character who is transgendered to be done well, they must not appear trans* or ever act like they were trans* in any significant way, is incredibly rude, and serves to erase actual transgender people, who live actual transgender lives, where they may not be normal, and may not have any chance of being normal. I mean, very few trans* people live their lives fully centered on their gender and only ever do things relating to it, but there isn't one trans* person who can ignore it.
Your point is valid but could you not also say that the opposite is going to alienate trans people? Surely it is also offensive to suggest that people who are trans have to act like every other trans person? THAT reeks of segregation. I don't think it is going to 'erase' trans people from gaming if they are looked at and treated like anyone else.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Wasn?t there a trans woman in Catherine that was written pretty well? Erica, was it?

Anyway, I guess the best way to include a trans character is to not make it a big deal. Focus on the character first and foremost, not what makes them different. If it?s relevant to the plot, then sure, but don?t knock your audience over the head with it. That?s why people don?t like female characters with nothing more to offer to the experience than a pair of tits, or stereotypical black ?gangster? characters who merely fill the role of villain henchmen. The market appears to be saturated with characters like that, wherein there?s nothing wrong with them per se, but there needs to be more variety and acknowledgement of a wider target audience.

Although?it would be interesting to have some kind of RPG, or maybe even a dating sim, where the main character was quite gender-fluid and used this to their advantage.

Dead Century said:
But in all the seriousness, the only trans character I can think of is Poison from Final Fight. She might have been retconned to just female now, I'm not sure.
She's always been female, but yes, she's still transgender, in both Japan and USA (I believe that, even in Street Fighter X Tekken, some of her opponents make allusions to her trans status). And other trans characters I can think of are Erica from Catherine, and Birdo from the Super Mario games.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
CriticalMiss said:
norashepard said:
Not to mention, having a trans* character just act "normal" is kind of offensive. It reeks of assimilation. The idea that, for a character who is transgendered to be done well, they must not appear trans* or ever act like they were trans* in any significant way, is incredibly rude, and serves to erase actual transgender people, who live actual transgender lives, where they may not be normal, and may not have any chance of being normal. I mean, very few trans* people live their lives fully centered on their gender and only ever do things relating to it, but there isn't one trans* person who can ignore it.
Your point is valid but could you not also say that the opposite is going to alienate trans people? Surely it is also offensive to suggest that people who are trans have to act like every other trans person? THAT reeks of segregation. I don't think it is going to 'erase' trans people from gaming if they are looked at and treated like anyone else.
Well, I didn't say they all have the same experience did I? Trans* people are as varied and interesting as other people, and should be shown as such. What I was saying is that ignoring the very things that make them trans* (the whole process, the mental toll, the harassment, etc.) is rude. In other words, trans* people want to change their assigned gender, but no two of them go about it in the same way, and that should be shown, not tossed aside as background info.

HOWEVER, if a game tried to be all cool and progressive and ended up having multiple trans* people in the same game, and they all acted exactly the same (i.e. like drag queens or something), then that would be super duper stupid and rude, you are correct, because at that point they aren't people, just ploys for sympathy. In fact, that's kind of how Hollywood is with trans* characters. They all seem to be hookers or murder victims and most of them are transwomen. Not exactly how people want to be shown on the silver screen, now is it?

jesskit

Jan 22, 2011
remember people, I asked about making it the main character. I understand the whole just dont make a big deal out of it, which sounds like just brush it under the rug. To be honest I liked the suggestion of going to the childhood home and a party member asking about the child in the photos. While it may not seem like gender matters (and remember gender identity is different from sexuality) it does, it informs not only how the character interacts with the world (consider the compassion Lara had the first time she shot a dear so she could eat) but also how the world reacts to them (perhaps some people know the characters history and there are quips made during play).

Ultimatly yes I am suggesting this type of game would be one in which how a trans person gets trough situations is part of the character development, however its up to you how this comes out.

Archer666

May 27, 2011
Easy. I'd just have one offhand remark from a family member or the main character about it. It'd be pretty silly, heavy handed and awkward to shove it into your game as some sort of statement.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Gearhead mk2 said:
and there's some hints that Naoto Shirogane is planning to have the operation in the future
Bullshit

-------------

I agree with not making it any huge part of the character unless that's what you want the character's arc to be about. Using Naoto as an example, her gender confusion is used to accentuate her fear of ostracism, and use of clothing to disguise her true sense of self.

Which as it turns out is cisgendered, since she holds no objection to being refered to as female, will only become the protagonist's love interest if you specifically tell her you like that she's a girl, and further goes on to wear women's casual clothing of her own volition in the Golden epilogue that takes place 2 years later. (see avatar)

-------------

Otherwise, if I were to put a tg person for who's arc isn't about their gender, I'd go for a more subtle 'hey; fun fact about this character!' approach, where maybe there are some scattered hints about it, but it doesn't make a huge impact on the story.

As I'm an aspiring designer, perhaps I even *will* do something like that in one or two games.

I've actually had the thought of a female character who has the girdle of gender (a la D&D or Baldur's Gate) as part of her character model. She'd not mind being a woman and mentions of the belt would be few and far between. The thought actually came to me IN baldur's gate after my protagonist put it on, and I went on to finish the game still wearing it.

-------------

Relish in Chaos said:
She's always been female, but yes, she's still transgender, in both Japan and USA (I believe that, even in Street Fighter X Tekken, some of her opponents make allusions to her trans status). And other trans characters I can think of are Erica from Catherine, and Birdo from the Super Mario games.
Vivian from Paper Mario 2 is actually trans as well, in Japan. Them cer-A-zee Nintendo of Japan. Although... I'm not sure if shadow people even have a physical gender barrier, what with their bodies being ghostly tails from the waist down and all...