Transformers 4 Submitted For Best Picture Oscar Consideration

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
If it wins, they need to get Optimus Prime to accept via teleconference.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
I think Paramount is playing a sick joke on everyone.

The only reason Transformers 4 isn't the worst movie ever is because Transformers 3 exists. I thought Marky Mark meant that the series was taking a turn for the better. I was technically correct in the same way that getting shot in the stomach is better than getting shot in the head...
Tangential, but between the two I'd much rather get shot in the head. Gut shot is a slow, painful death if there ever was one.

SilverUchiha said:
Paramount, how am I supposed to take ANY of your recommendations seriously when you include Transformers? Now I just have to assume that you really don't care any that none of these should make "best picture of the year".

And that's fine. I'm happy to give it to Guardians of the Galaxy. Or Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. They sure as hell deserve it a lot more than anything you put out.
In all seriousness, if Dawn of the Planet of the Apes won an Oscar for anything other than a technical award, I might have to do a little dance.

Mo-cap was great of course, but the rest of the movie also was just so good on so many levels, and the tech shouldn't be the only talking point... if it was ever in with a chance of a nomination anyway, which is sadly unlikely.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
I'm not entirely sure why this matters, they're just submitting it for consideration which illicts a massive reaction in me of 'so what?'

Bad stuff gets suggested for awards and nominations all the time.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
I enjoyed the movie, but I don't think it's Oscar worthy. Whilst it'd be funny for it to win so Bob has to introduce it as 'Academy Award Winning Transformers: Age of Extinction', I think of just the sheer volume of movies that get submitted in private and never through.

I'm also enjoying how Bob is staying neutral in the article.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Doesn't matter. Not one member of The Academy would even look at this movie for consideration for a Best Picture Finalist. Judging by how other Transformers films fared in the SPFX Categories, it isn't likely to win any of them, either (my money is on Intersteller winning those.)

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Well, this is wonderful news!

I think it has a g- a great- a great shot.

Ha ha. Haaaaaaa.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I don't have anything against a "genre" film getting in there, far from it. The problem isn't that it's a film about the battle between intergalactic robots who disguise themselves as cars, but rather that it's a REALLY REALLY BAD FILM about the battle between intergalactic robots who disguise themselves as cars.

And it's not like there's a dearth of good genre films - from something lighthearted like Guardians of the Galaxy, through a more somber affair like The Winter Soldier, to a more serious film like Interstellar (and plenty of others, these were just the first that came to mind), there really isn't any need to nominate drivel like the Transformers 4...

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
It really doesn't matter. The Academy Awards is aware that it would make them look like clowns, so they won't accept the nomination no matter how much lobbying Paramount does.

It is still funny to think it was even submitted, though... it opens the door for the next Avengers being nominated (it is co-produced by Paramount, after all)

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
The fuck ?! WHHHY ?!Its nothing great, its horrid JUST like the rest of them should not even be thought about .... oscers really dont mean shit thee days then ?

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Oh, for a minute I thought it was actually one of the movies selected for Best Picture. Just submitted huh? Then that's whatever. I mean, I actually liked the movie (probably the only one other than 1 that I thought was good) but I would NEVER say its Best Picture material by a long shot. If it gets accepted then we can all complain to our hearts content.

So I guess to repeat some of the responses in the thread...meh.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Makabriel said:
Gordon_4 said:
I think Marvel should submit Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy.
Winter Soldier would have a good chance.
If it weren't a superhero movie, I'd be inclinded to agree with you. Not only was it the best Marvel movie, it's a fantastic movie in its own right and it ticks most of the boxes for stuff the Academy loves. But being a superhero movie, I feel it may be passed over.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Does anybody know how high the entry fee per category is? Because I seriously believe they're just making fun of us at this point.

Whatever the case, I wish them the best of luck.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
So, best picture is a stretch. But why not visual effects, sound mixing, sound editing, original score or cinematography? These are all possibilities. I didn't care for the movie. It was just like one long periodically paused fight scene. But I have to admit that a lot of work went into those fight scenes.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I liked the film. This renders all of your negative opinions invalid, as they are all as subjective as mine, and I just have the bigger ego.
I hope it wins.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Thanks for the laugh, Michael Bay. Your franchise has finally yielded some entertainment value in my life.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
This is too funny to NOT be totally made up. You have to admire the big swinging wrecking balls (thought that image left your mind by now, didn't ya?) of whoever suggested Paramount do this.