Transformers: Age of Extinction Trailer Deconstructed

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
SnakeoilSage said:
Ultimately, play the Cybertron series of Transformers (War For and Fall Of, specifically). In fact, here's the trailer that they released for Fall of Cybertron. Bay's movie suddenly seems like the over-hyped Triple A nonsense gamers complain about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1N91LyATF0
It's a shame because now his movies have infected the games as well, the next one is a parallel worlds thing in which the Fall of Cybertron guys (still on Cybertron despite the last game) meet up and/or interact with the Bay-formers. It's not even being made by High Moon now >_< So it would seem I can't even enjoy a Transformers game franchise continuing without this stuff... It's called Rise of the Dark Spark... Eugh.

I don't like the films, but I don't bug those that do. I just liked having some good games come out that were the kind of modern Transformers I wanted, not sure I want the next game now.

spartenX

Oct 2, 2009
medv4380 said:
I'm getting closer to saying their are no actual Dinobots in the movie. Rather we're dealing with Predicons. There might be a Predicon called Dinobot, but not an actual Dinobot called Grimlock.
actually, it's confirmed that these are the dinobots. we so far know of 5, 2 returning from the G1 team (Grimlock, who we do see in the trailer, and slag (who's recent appearances have renamed him slug since in the U.K., slag is a slang term that more or less means the same thing as slut). 3 new dinobots are strafe (the two headed guy we see in the trailer)scorn and slash. we only have official knowledge that Grimlock and strafe are showing up in the film though, the knowledge of the other 3 coming from recent reveals of the movie toyline

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
You know, it's a good thing I'm not an Autobot. After defending the planet three separate times, only to be hunted down and murdered like that, I would have walked up to the bad guy and said, "All yours, man. Just let me get my trailer off of this planet, and then you can go to town. Have fun."

This movie does look good, although I'm curious (like so many others) to see how the Dino-bots fit into all of this. In this one, Optimus is fighting the T-Rex, yet in others, he is riding it. So...does he recognize Optimus as leader after their fight?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok I wasn't aware of the latest trailer until now. It's an intereting premier which I admit I want to know how they going to mention the character Sam (I doubt that he didn't give a toss for the government hunting the Autobots now)? Also man the Autobot are sure selfless since if I were them I would of view the humans are all scum now cos of the backstab.

Also it look like either Grimlock and Optimus battle it out for leadership (we know what Grimlock is like) or Optimus is going to tame him.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Grimh said:
Huh...
I've only seen the last 2 Transformers movies because of Rifftrax.
But I might actually watch this one on it's own.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
I don't think I would have been able to watch the other 2 w/o Rifftrax. I don't get people that say they just watch it for the giant robot action when almost half the movies seemed to be a bunch of teenage growing 'comedy' BS in the form of Shia's story line.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, sorry Bob, you are getting duped again. All the red flags are there.

Clearly establishing a "we don't need these robots" stance coupled with the ubiquitous scene of our stars hiding behind cover while battle debris flies around them (you would think he would get tired of going to that well) pretty much guarantees that we will be dealing with more of Bay's idea of human drama with occasional scenes of nonsensical robot mashing spliced in.

75% of this movie will likely be about the father daughter relationship and how the daughter gains respect for Marky Mark when he gets roped into the conflict because the Transformers themselves couldn't possibly deal with McGuffin 47 on their own.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I didn't watched 2 or 3 to know what caused Optimus Prime to revert to the flat nose truck he was always supposed to be...

But he still has a mouth. So this movie is going to suck.

And that's just science.

edit:

TiberiusEsuriens said:
The casing stays in the gun guys
False.

They do leave the gun... just... out the side... rather than the barrel.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
The guy emerging from the smoke with his own personal ship who's upper body turns in to a gun is Lockdown.

He began as an oc character created for the Transformers Animated (that was literally its title) TV series. The guy is a bounty hunter and essentially a part and weapon collector obsessed with upgrading and modifying himself. Not a scavenger mind you, he literally captures cybertronians, tortures them for fun and if they have anything he wants he keeps that part either replacing a limb or weapon or having it in storage for later use.

Unlike Swindle he doesn't sell his parts, he's literally just a collector. I almost interpret him as a parody of the often psychotic level of madness many tf collectors undergo themselves to find/acquire the figures they want. Trust me I'm not exaggerating as I post regularly on the tfw2005 boards. Some tf fans are just NUTS.

The reason I've explained all this is because their is almost no chance at all Bay will do any of this with the character. He's one of few TF villains with actual depth, like the modern comic incarnations of Overlord, Megatron and Shockwave and I'm sure it will go ignored.

Galvatron could be the white guy covered in tubes that was seen in the super bowl trailer slicing a car in half but perhaps Bay is actually leaving his reveal for the movie itself. Which would be an amazing level of restraint for him.

Grimlock still pisses me off, not because of his redesign since its a decently cool looking robo dinosaur but because he has no color whatsoever and I hope that changes in the movie at some point. Even the new toy of him looks much nicer because it isn't entirely gunmetal grey. And it transforms so hopefully he does in the movie too.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I love TF Wiki. The captions are hilarious.

anth5 said:
Galvatron has been confirmed to be this guy
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/thumb/e/e7/AOEGalvatron.jpg/350px-AOEGalvatron.jpg
See, that's the issue with Bayformers - I can easily mistake that design to be Megatron or something.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
You know, it's a good thing I'm not an Autobot. After defending the planet three separate times, only to be hunted down and murdered like that, I would have walked up to the bad guy and said, "All yours, man. Just let me get my trailer off of this planet, and then you can go to town. Have fun."
I'd be all; Hey Megatron, truce. The humans hate us more than you. Let's join forces to show them what the score is.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
i actually rather enjoy the three first movies. This one promise to be very good !

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I watched the trailer 3 times and I didn't see any robot ballz or robots peeing on people or anything? Not even an apparent fart joke? are we sure this is a Transformers movie? They're not like faking us out and giving as a Pacific Rim sequel or something instead are they?

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
Tumedus said:
Yeah, sorry Bob, you are getting duped again. All the red flags are there.

Clearly establishing a "we don't need these robots" stance coupled with the ubiquitous scene of our stars hiding behind cover while battle debris flies around them (you would think he would get tired of going to that well) pretty much guarantees that we will be dealing with more of Bay's idea of human drama with occasional scenes of nonsensical robot mashing spliced in.

75% of this movie will likely be about the father daughter relationship and how the daughter gains respect for Marky Mark when he gets roped into the conflict because the Transformers themselves couldn't possibly deal with McGuffin 47 on their own.
honestly, the idea of a human-centric story thats nested into the larger battle isn't that bad of an idea

its just...the last 2 movies had to deal with the worst two actors with the worst chemistry imaginable. If we can get some decent people in it, it shouldn't be too bad
I think people have developed such a general dislike for Shia and Ms. Fox that they forget how many other atrocious performances were in those movies (plus its worth noting the last one had a different female and was still bad). The parents, section 7, Can't Buy me Love, the President, Hackers, etc. Apart from the military guys which are idolized to near 300 levels of ridiculousness (convenient timing on that), every human character is terrible, even when played by decent actors.

The problem is Bay. And I don't care how consistently pleasant Wahlberg can be, even in bad movies, he isn't going to be able to elevate the kind of dialog that Bay puts forward.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
I wonder if the Transformers franchise is gonna go the route of the Fast & Furious franchise where the movies keep on getting more excessively ridiculous and nonsensical than they turn around and become some of the greatest things to see that summer.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
The trailer looks good, I mean it seems like the movie could be decent, or at the very least a significant improvement over the last few movies...

But there's one thing I just don't get...what's up with the visual effects? Seriously, they've gotten a massive downgrade. Is it supposed to be stylized, or are they just incomplete? Generally I hate it when people say the VFX of a movie looks like a videogame (because it's usually not true) but when I saw the trailer for the first time (the one during the superbowl) I legitimately thought it was a trailer for a game. It seriously looks like the pre-rendered cinematics a game company might make for the trailer of their latest game. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but if there's one thing the previous Transformers movies did right, it was the VFX. I don't mind the transformers having a new look and new designs, but making the visuals themselves stylized feels...weird. Like maybe the budget for this movie is much lower than previous movies, or maybe they're using a new VFX company or something.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
As stated multiple times before in this thread, the transformer emerging from the cloud of smoke is Lockdown. Galvatron is the sliver one slicing the car in half from the superbowl teaser. Whether or not Galvatron is a reincarnated Megatron in this adaptation is yet to be seen.

I'm not sure in what continuity the matrix of leadership has ever derived from the Star Saber. In most incarnations it either comes from Vector Sigma (the most advance AI on Cybertron built by some of the original 13 primes) or it is gifted directly from Primus at the the core of Cybertron itself.

Grimlock was always a big guy, but by no means the biggest of the individual (non-combining) transformers. Certainly to be the biggest thus far in the movie verse though, and rightfully so. Grimlock is intimidating in every way (but intellectually) and should be kept this way for the movies.

I imagine (and hope) the downgrade in the visual complexity of the transformers appearance is a result of two things. The first being the relative rushed schedule/timeframe that Bay makes his movies within. He is well known as a rush rush rush type of guy, it doesn't surprise me that reducing the vfx processing time/work load would help hasten the movie to that release window. The second and larger pipe dream for this is that it would allow for the transformers themselves to have more screen time vs their human counterparts within a similar budget given this movie is shorter than the previous three. If I remember correctly, in a 2+ hour movie, the original Transformers Bayverse movie only featured the Transformers themselves for about 11 minutes of screen time. It has increased with each installment since then.

The biggest issue I have with this movie though, is the announcement of The Rise of the Dark Spark. Somehow this movie is supposed to tie into the aligned universe reboot. War for Cybertron, Fall of Cybertron, the Prime series show, and the Covenant of Primus book have all been inconsistent in providing a concrete agreed upon sequence of events. Trying to establish this movie verse in that continuity when Bay has done so much damage to the origin and characters already is puzzling. I always thought the movie verse was its own continuity, and believe it should be kept that way.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Since bay has the talent and intellect of a shoe box tht would be wise to keep anything he is involvedin away from cannon. granted its just a movie about toys, and that exactly what mr has has thought about the francghise form day with with shila labarf, the tna the raceism, the hippy hop pop garbage, eat it kids love it i am michael bay.

they only and i mean the only question i have is who did bay suck off or sell his sould to to make movies becaue there is no eartly reason why this mand sould be let near a fing camera let alone make a AAA budget sized movie.

all you thinking it might be decent? LOL AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA hehehehe prepare for crushing disappointment, and for your childhood ideas to be raped tortured and murdered outright before bay is done with them.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
chozo_hybrid said:
It's a shame because now his movies have infected the games as well, the next one is a parallel worlds thing in which the Fall of Cybertron guys (still on Cybertron despite the last game) meet up and/or interact with the Bay-formers. It's not even being made by High Moon now >_< So it would seem I can't even enjoy a Transformers game franchise continuing without this stuff... It's called Rise of the Dark Spark... Eugh.

I don't like the films, but I don't bug those that do. I just liked having some good games come out that were the kind of modern Transformers I wanted, not sure I want the next game now.
This feels like a crossover done by some third party. Which it is. I'm not worried. They want to play with the franchise a little, let 'em. It won't destroy Transformers anymore than the films did, and the video games focus on the eponymous robots instead of masturbation subplots, so let 'em have their fun. In another year we'll hear about the next Full Moon Cybertron game and I'll be all over that.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The lack of gravitas made the first 3 nearly unwatchable for me. I don't mean it has to be all Dark Knight super serious and dark. I mean, if there is humor, let it be funny (ie: cop to wolverine "put down those knives!" Wolverine to cop, "I can't" that's funny and in character. But low brow cutsey voices and silly people doing things you don't buy but appear just for laughs? That kind of silliness takes you out of the fantasy.

If this one avoids the silliness, it just might be worth viewing.