Transformers: Age of Extinction Trailer Deconstructed

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Man, I'm glad I grew up with Lego and not Transformers.

I don't have all that nostalgia that's apparently being trampled by these films.

Definitely gonna watch this. It looks awesome.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
RA92 said:
I love TF Wiki. The captions are hilarious.

anth5 said:
Galvatron has been confirmed to be this guy
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/thumb/e/e7/AOEGalvatron.jpg/350px-AOEGalvatron.jpg
See, that's the issue with Bayformers - I can easily mistake that design to be Megatron or something.
Well Galvatron is Megatron more or less.

Unless they've decided to make them 2 separate characters for this film.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Okay, names guys...

Lockdown is the name of the bot in the wide shot.

The green autobot who gets killed when kelsey grammar says "the age of the transformers is over" is Ratchet

Stinger is a human made bot based on Bumblebee's design.

Galvatron is in the film as a freightliner argosy.

crosshairs is the green autobot kicking arse in the air

Grimlock is the dinobot who gets smacked in the face.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
SnakeoilSage said:
3)--I have the shaking suspicion that Grimlock does not speak or transform in this film. He's just a quasi-sentient T-rex robot like the scorpion from the first films.

His toy wouldn't get this amount of detail to the robot mode if he didn't transform in the film...Also one of his toys has a lights and sounds (sounds being his voice) so he must speak in the film :p

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
SnakeoilSage said:
chozo_hybrid said:
It's a shame because now his movies have infected the games as well, the next one is a parallel worlds thing in which the Fall of Cybertron guys (still on Cybertron despite the last game) meet up and/or interact with the Bay-formers. It's not even being made by High Moon now >_< So it would seem I can't even enjoy a Transformers game franchise continuing without this stuff... It's called Rise of the Dark Spark... Eugh.

I don't like the films, but I don't bug those that do. I just liked having some good games come out that were the kind of modern Transformers I wanted, not sure I want the next game now.
This feels like a crossover done by some third party. Which it is. I'm not worried. They want to play with the franchise a little, let 'em. It won't destroy Transformers anymore than the films did, and the video games focus on the eponymous robots instead of masturbation subplots, so let 'em have their fun. In another year we'll hear about the next Full Moon Cybertron game and I'll be all over that.
I just loved the previous games, I wanted to see where it was going next, so it's a bit of a disappointment to me. Thing is, High Moon lost a fair amount of staff with Deadpool, I wonder if their Transformers team was affected. Thing is, it seems like a slapped together bit, I imagine it'll be released to go with the movie as far as timing and that doesn't inspire confidence with me... I guess I have just been burned to many times.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
I just loved the previous games, I wanted to see where it was going next, so it's a bit of a disappointment to me. Thing is, High Moon lost a fair amount of staff with Deadpool, I wonder if their Transformers team was affected. Thing is, it seems like a slapped together bit, I imagine it'll be released to go with the movie as far as timing and that doesn't inspire confidence with me... I guess I have just been burned to many times.
While I'm fairly okay with the movies being what they are I can definitely agree and be worried for the sake of this upcoming game and possibly new movie.

I really love War and Fall of Cybertron, to bits and bolts, the games to me were the first proper decent transformers games that I've played in years, the movie tie in games were playable at best but their gameplay was more or less slightly restricted and very small level maps and areas along with small multiplayer.

War was a good start and retained some old gameplay elements from the movie tie ins which I didn't mind and by the time Fall came out I was all hyped up for the new changes, characters and story and they delivered.

After hearing about how Deadpool went I'm rather worried for high Moon since them living under Activision will probably mean an eventual death if they don't deliver sooner or later and this dark spark game could have been another one of their hits, giving it to a totally different studio along with previous assets feels a bit cheap and slightly disrespectful of HM's previous works, not to mention it's going to be merging two different universes into one and that to me doesn't sit well since I don't really want bayformers slowly taking over and replacing what could have been a more modern G1 revamp of The Transformers franchise.

It also probably doesn't help that Hasbro recently stated they'd further development on simplifying future Transformer brand toys and figures for much younger audiences, I'm more or less a collector or both the movie and G1 remakes of the franchise in terms of figures and memorabilia and hearing that puts a dent to any possible future purchases of any TF products if they become simplified and "dumbed down" for those that can't read an instruction manual or learn by hand how to transform a transformer, they ain't Rubix cubes thats for sure =P.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Ok WTF was with the sparks while GrimLock was rolling down a GREEN HILL the fuck bay the fuck. And its an interesting idea kept me watching humans hunting down transformers ? wtf happend with that ? im guessing after the Chicago (big billboard saying "remember chicago") the world was not best pleased. But the one thing that bugged me was ONE guy with a nade launcher i dont care what kinda ammo you got in there should not take down a transformer. Ether was its a fucking Bay film which means its going to be alot of flash, busy shaking camera, with a huge hardon for all things MEERRICA and about 20% of the movie being devoted to the movies....ya know...title TRANSFORMERS.

I really dont know how with the HUGE amount money Transformers films have they still manage to butcher the TF lore and make an utterly forgettable movie. The games with a much smaller budget did it better, Transformers Prime TV show is better and handles the lore well. So why the fuck cant Bay do shit right. The universe is there ffs.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Just reading a little bit in the links Bob gives is really getting me intrigued on the Transformers franchise and I'd like to get into it but where should I begin?

Also this movie looks better than the last three

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Just reading a little bit in the links Bob gives is really getting me intrigued on the Transformers franchise and I'd like to get into it but where should I begin?

I would say read the comics, the Warwithin all the ones set on Cybertron during the war. Hell even the Transformers Prime is good and handles the lore well, just have to bare with the kid stuff as it is a kid show. And the video games war for cybertron and fall. Oh and if nothing else you need to watch the 1986 Transformers film. Really does make all of Bays films look like piss stained y fronts.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
SnakeoilSage said:
1)--Bay is getting less subtle about his disregard for this franchise, if "We don't need you anymore!" being emphasized in the trailer is any indication.
Uh...I really hate to defend this (almost definite) piece of shit, but to be fair, it's really obvious that we aren't supposed to be rooting for the guy who said that line. There was absolutely nothing about that trailer to suggest that the movie itself is going to be "anti-transformer". There are plenty of reasons to think this movie will be bad. You don't have to make up new ones.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Quiet Stranger said:

If you are looking to stay current then:

If you can afford it, try checking out the Covenant of Primus book available on Amazon. It has a lot of great artwork, gives a good history and base for the new aligned universe and gives you a basic understanding of who and what the transformers are and what leads to the civil war. It isn't 100% cannon for the previous 80s cartoons and comics (it supposedly is for new material going forward since its kinda a reboot), but its a close enough interpretation for almost any Transformers continuity past or present.

This book also represents in least in some ways, the events of the game Fall of Cybertron, then leads into the Prime television show.

If you however are looking to start at the beginning and see what made TF what it is today, I'd say watch G1, which is available on Netflix if you have it. If you watch that, remember it was made in the 80s, geared at kids, and intended to help sell toys. It didn't have much of a continuous storyline until around the time the original animated movie came out.

cthulu1

Aug 14, 2012
MrFalconfly said:
Man, I'm glad I grew up with Lego and not Transformers.

I don't have all that nostalgia that's apparently being trampled by these films.

Definitely gonna watch this. It looks awesome.
Hey, I grew up with Transformers and it's not trampling my nostalgia. I'm one of the (apparent) few who are like, "Eh, it's a different imagining than what I grew up with. Whatever. Transformers have only been well written in some comics, and in TF Prime. So, bad writing is par for the course. However, this is some awesome action."
AstaresPanda said:
Ok WTF was with the sparks while GrimLock was rolling down a GREEN HILL the fuck bay the fuck. And its an interesting idea kept me watching humans hunting down transformers ? wtf happend with that ? im guessing after the Chicago (big billboard saying "remember chicago") the world was not best pleased. But the one thing that bugged me was ONE guy with a nade launcher i dont care what kinda ammo you got in there should not take down a transformer. Ether was its a fucking Bay film which means its going to be alot of flash, busy shaking camera, with a huge hardon for all things MEERRICA and about 20% of the movie being devoted to the movies....ya know...title TRANSFORMERS.

I really dont know how with the HUGE amount money Transformers films have they still manage to butcher the TF lore and make an utterly forgettable movie. The games with a much smaller budget did it better, Transformers Prime TV show is better and handles the lore well. So why the fuck cant Bay do shit right. The universe is there ffs.
Well, if they can now make Transformers, they may be able to create Cybertronian-grade weaponry, which could in theory take out an autobot in one shot. Also, there were like three people firing on him at once. So it would be more like three shots. (Which still feels low, I'll admit.)
Also, as for why Bay doesn't do things the way the games and TF Prime did is because he doesn't make movies that are about the story/character/lore. He makes ones that are about the action. And, the mess-ups with the lore is a lot easier to accept if you just consider it an alternate universe like the Shattered Glass comics.
Shadow-Phoenix said:
chozo_hybrid said:
While I'm fairly okay with the movies being what they are I can definitely agree and be worried for the sake of this upcoming game and possibly new movie.

I really love War and Fall of Cybertron, to bits and bolts, the games to me were the first proper decent transformers games that I've played in years, the movie tie in games were playable at best but their gameplay was more or less slightly restricted and very small level maps and areas along with small multiplayer.

War was a good start and retained some old gameplay elements from the movie tie ins which I didn't mind and by the time Fall came out I was all hyped up for the new changes, characters and story and they delivered.

After hearing about how Deadpool went I'm rather worried for high Moon since them living under Activision will probably mean an eventual death if they don't deliver sooner or later and this dark spark game could have been another one of their hits, giving it to a totally different studio along with previous assets feels a bit cheap and slightly disrespectful of HM's previous works, not to mention it's going to be merging two different universes into one and that to me doesn't sit well since I don't really want bayformers slowly taking over and replacing what could have been a more modern G1 revamp of The Transformers franchise.

It also probably doesn't help that Hasbro recently stated they'd further development on simplifying future Transformer brand toys and figures for much younger audiences, I'm more or less a collector or both the movie and G1 remakes of the franchise in terms of figures and memorabilia and hearing that puts a dent to any possible future purchases of any TF products if they become simplified and "dumbed down" for those that can't read an instruction manual or learn by hand how to transform a transformer, they ain't Rubix cubes thats for sure =P.
Yeah, I don't want Bayverse and the High Moon games universe merging, but that's what's happening. And, as another collector of Transformers, I share your displeasure with the dumbing down of Transformers. I mean, the ROTF leader Optimus mold is a great toy(even if you don't like the Bayverse designs.) because its complexity enabled it to be very accurate and kibble free(Vehicle bits hanging off the robot mode that are not integrated into it, for those who don't know the term. Or robot bits sticking out of the vehicle mode.) in both modes. (The backpack is screen accurate, if you can get a clear view of Prime's back in his original designs.)Then there are the Masterpiece Optimus's that wouldn't be as good as they are if they were dumbed down. Sigh, Hasbro is making a massive mistake with that move. Albeit, some figures did need to be simplified a bit. (cough, Masterpiece Megatron, cough.)
Also, it looks like the Generations line(Which will have movie figures, weird.) will not be as corrupted by the dumbing down of figures as the RID line. But looking at the AOE leader Optimus and Voyager Galvatron that were shown at toyfair, and to a smaller amount Crosshairs it definitely looks like it has been simplified at least a little. The voyager Optimus does look good though. I think it'll be a great figure to do a lot of highlighting on for customizers like myself. (Though I only really do some repainting. Haven't managed to really pull anything else off.

cthulu1

Aug 14, 2012
chozo_hybrid said:
SnakeoilSage said:
chozo_hybrid said:
It's a shame because now his movies have infected the games as well, the next one is a parallel worlds thing in which the Fall of Cybertron guys (still on Cybertron despite the last game) meet up and/or interact with the Bay-formers. It's not even being made by High Moon now >_< So it would seem I can't even enjoy a Transformers game franchise continuing without this stuff... It's called Rise of the Dark Spark... Eugh.

I don't like the films, but I don't bug those that do. I just liked having some good games come out that were the kind of modern Transformers I wanted, not sure I want the next game now.
This feels like a crossover done by some third party. Which it is. I'm not worried. They want to play with the franchise a little, let 'em. It won't destroy Transformers anymore than the films did, and the video games focus on the eponymous robots instead of masturbation subplots, so let 'em have their fun. In another year we'll hear about the next Full Moon Cybertron game and I'll be all over that.
Not to mention the bayverse character models just don't look good compared to the War for Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron models. I mean, Optimus from the Bayverse in this just looks terrible. (And I thought that the High Moon games were supposed to be linked to TF Prime.)

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
cthulu1 said:
chozo_hybrid said:
SnakeoilSage said:
chozo_hybrid said:

Not to mention the bayverse character models just don't look good compared to the War for Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron models. I mean, Optimus from the Bayverse in this just looks terrible. (And I thought that the High Moon games were supposed to be linked to TF Prime.)
They are a completely different aesthetic to the High Moon models, so if they do meet, it's going to look weird as hell. And not a good kind of weird as hell as games like Smash Bros and MvC3 etc.

I've always heard the theory of how they're linked, but never seen anything official.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
All I thought when I watched it was "here we go again". It looks almost identical to Transformers 3, in that humans do not want the Transformers on Earth anymore and then, out of nowhere, an alien strike happens and it turns out they needed the Autobots after all. Ugh.

That being said I though T3 was a weak movie with elements leaving much to be desired so HOPEFULLY, this will be like Dark of the Moon but a little more like the second half.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
faefrost said:
I watched the trailer 3 times and I didn't see any robot ballz or robots peeing on people or anything? Not even an apparent fart joke? are we sure this is a Transformers movie? They're not like faking us out and giving as a Pacific Rim sequel or something instead are they?
Yes but they never put the bad stuff into the trailers. Even Revenge of the Fallen looked good from the trailers because you didn't have robot balls, you couldn't see how racist the Twins would feel, there wasn't all the padding to make the film so damn long it seemed like the movie would never end, or how lame a human super weapon out of nowhere never to be used again would be.

The Transformers trailers always make the movie seem better and more epic than the finished film actually is. If the trailers were about the humor in the films they would not fill nearly as many seats on opening weekend.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Robot Number V said:
Uh...I really hate to defend this (almost definite) piece of shit, but to be fair, it's really obvious that we aren't supposed to be rooting for the guy who said that line. There was absolutely nothing about that trailer to suggest that the movie itself is going to be "anti-transformer". There are plenty of reasons to think this movie will be bad. You don't have to make up new ones.
Considering the "we don't need you anymore" facet has been around since the second film, I'm not retracting my statement. Plus it appears the movie has a plot revolving around an invasion of what I assume are Predacons, so I don't see what point there is in emphasizing an anti-Transformers statement in the trailer except as a blatant "eff you" from Bay to the people who forced him to come back to this franchise.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
As long as Bay can reach the first movie's level of "Not great but not terrible", I could tolerate seeing this.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Eldritch Warlord said:
walsfeo said:
Why were there shell casings inside of Optimus Prime? Was he eating them? I know they won't explain it, but it would probably make much more sense if there were actually expended slugs and whatnot instead of the part that never gets fired.
I imagine it might happen if Optimus is in a tough fight and ends up on his back then fires his gun in a way that the ejected casings land on his chest. Then he transforms and his chest ends up being the interior with casings inside.

Then he powers down until Marky Mark defibrillates him, and now it's the movie.
I could buy that. Only you'll never see that because - SHAKY CAM!!!