Transporting a PC.

Spiritmaster

Dec 4, 2012
Hey, I'm currently debating between getting a new desktop or a new laptop. The PC obviously has power/price in its favor, while the laptop's portability makes it good for a student. So my question is, how does one transport a desktop properly? I hear that it can be kind of risky, especially for long trips (six or seven hour drive between college and home). Any tips would be appreciated.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Spiritmaster said:
If everything is screwed up together properly, you shouldn't have much trouble. You might want to unplug the graphics card, especially if it's big.
Shipping is a different story though..
Consider a mini-itx Build, for ease of transportation.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Well you can get cases especially for microATX motherboards, they are a tad easier to transport than regular ATX formats.
But then you have the monitor and the keyboard.

But generally if you have a car then transporting a desktop is not a problem.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
It not nearly so bad these days but a min itx format might work better on a size/power ratio, since still all desktop tech, but really compact.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
I've driven my desktop to a bunch of LANs, in drives up to an hour long, never had a problem. I just laid it on its side and went off. If you're worried, you can always remove the most vulnerable parts (graphics and sound cards), put them in anti-static bags, and set them to the side. Also, in theory you should put your PC down in between wheel axles for minimal bumpiness, but when you're driving I think you'll agree it's not that big a deal.