Travel to hostile countries.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I can guess some people want to see/ experience just how hostile that country is. It kind of liked people who geniue hate toward something compared to those who had just on the hate train.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
thaluikhain said:
RicoADF said:
I hear that mate, I enjoyed visiting the states but I must say I've never been in a place that's felt so dangerous in my life, will go back again though as I wont let fear win.
Out of interest are/were you in the ADF, and if so, what did you do?
No I have never served in the ADF, although was considering at one point. The ADF part of my name was from when I was making an ADF mod in ArmA and Rico was taken, I've since started using Australis_ infront of Rico after a few people have asked that. If I could fix my display on this forum I would.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
RicoADF said:
thaluikhain said:
RicoADF said:
I hear that mate, I enjoyed visiting the states but I must say I've never been in a place that's felt so dangerous in my life, will go back again though as I wont let fear win.
Out of interest are/were you in the ADF, and if so, what did you do?
No I have never served in the ADF, although was considering at one point. The ADF part of my name was from when I was making an ADF mod in ArmA and Rico was taken, I've since started using Australis_ infront of Rico after a few people have asked that. If I could fix my display on this forum I would.
Ah, ok, just that it would have changed the context of your comment if you were.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Ah, ok, just that it would have changed the context of your comment if you were.
I was visiting a (now) ex and got to see the Atlantis last launch, had always wanted to see a shuttle launch so that was the last chance. I had a great time for the most part, but as stated was uncomfortable knowing how dangerous it was being there. Still will go back someday.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Because you shouldn't believe everything you hear about countries.

I've been told America is 100% of stupid people who eat McDonalds 3 times a day, are fat and ugly, sing the national anthem before lessons in class, destroy anything they deem remotely non-democratic, sleep with a gun under their pillows, are war mongers, that if you go out at night you're guaranteed to be mugged and/ or shot, that they can't speak or spell English properly, and are ultimately horrible people.

However, I've met tens of Americans both in my home country, and abroad, and they've been some of the most intelligent, interesting, open-minded, charming and fun people I've ever met. Had I not gone out and experienced meeting them for myself, I'd still be believing the crap people told me about them.

Perhaps people go to countries like North Korea, Iraq, etc, to see the real people and the real country, as opposed just believing what the media, internet, and stereotypes tell them.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Terramax said:

I've been told America is 100% of stupid people who eat McDonalds 3 times a day, are fat and ugly, sing the national anthem before lessons in class, destroy anything they deem remotely non-democratic, sleep with a gun under their pillows, are war mongers, that if you go out at night you're guaranteed to be mugged and/ or shot, that they can't speak or spell English properly, and are ultimately horrible people.

However, I've met tens of Americans both in my home country, and abroad, and they've been some of the most intelligent, interesting, open-minded, charming and fun people I've ever met. Had I not gone out and experienced meeting them for myself, I'd still be believing the crap people told me about them.
I think you should've stopped at the "100%" part and thought again, no country is 100% anything.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Terramax said:

Perhaps people go to countries like North Korea, Iraq, etc, to see the real people and the real country, as opposed just believing what the media, internet, and stereotypes tell them.
This^ this^ and this^ again.

There are no "hostile" countries, per se. You'll find that a good 80% of people anywhere in the world are incredibly friendly.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Yuuki said:
I think you should've stopped at the "100%" part and thought again, no country is 100% anything.
As the latter half of my post confirms, I fully agree.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Wouldn't it be interesting to discuss which countries one would consider hostile? North Korea is a very special case I feel, but I can sort of understand why people would go there. It is certainly an unique experience, and it is very interesting to see something so radically diferent from the place you come from!

I guess there are a few African countries people would consider hostile.The African countries I have traveled to are Tanzania, Kenya, Tunisia, Mauritius and South Africa, but all of these didn't exactly terrify me. Unsettling at times, sure. The level of poverty and corruption is unbelievable! Yet I can highly recommend Tanzania, it is easily the most beautiful place I have ever been, with lush mountains and the endless plains of the Sergengeti.

Places I know I would stay away from is Somalia, Sierra Leone and any countries at war with itself or other nations, such as Syria currently. I'm also not a fan of big cities, but the people of many European countries make the city experience worth it.

I would like to go to USA, I have never been to "the greatest country in the world" and I think I should! I can certainly see why people would be a bit paranoid about going considering all you hear about murders and drama in the US, but I imagine it is nowhere near as bad as they make it sound. I know how the news can behave, even making tiny peaceful Norway seem like a dangerous place to live X3. USA is on the top of my "visit next" list, now that I've been pretty much all over Europe. I still visit friends abroad regularily, generally staying at their place which makes it very cheap!

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Because we're all westerners.

Not meaning to leave a comment that's
triggrhappy94 said:
dumb, misinformed and can be forgotten.
But people in the opulent west tend to be a little bit arrogant when it comes to understanding extremely rigid and punitive societies.

The past few years I remember several news articles about democratic and/or religious activists going to Best Korea thinking they really [/i]can make a difference, more often than not it just caused a massive kerfuffle that required former presidents to come in and bail their ass out.

There's also a certain level of arrogance in us thinking that our governments *can* bail us out of anything. I know a pair of English people got sentenced to prison for having sex on a beach in Dubai - a heavily conservative society - and an American kid got flogged for tagging somewhere in southeast Asia...

So yeah, a combination of being pampered, arrogant, and having no idea just how *brutal* the world outside or borders can be.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Desert Punk said:
Playful Pony said:
I would like to go to USA, I have never been to "the greatest country in the world" and I think I should! I can certainly see why people would be a bit paranoid about going considering all you hear about murders and drama in the US, but I imagine it is nowhere near as bad as they make it sound.
The people who whine about how paranoid they are about gun owners aren't really using their brains. The chance that they are going to be shot while visiting is less than 1% of 1%
Yeah like I said, it's just hype that makes people think it's truly dangerous. I am personally not concerned that I'll get shot, I imagine I was at a considerably greater risk in Kenya than I would be anywhere in the US.

Still, my main issue with going to the US is that I have no idea where I would go! I'm not a big-city girl, I don't much enjoy that experience but it seems like nearly all vacation destinations in the US are cities. Every travel agency in Norway are presenting New York and San Fransico as the ultimate choice. I'd like to go and experience New York for a day or two, just to take in the sheer scale of it all (I'm from a small town sparesly populated Norway), but after a few days in a big city all I want to do is get out and find some nice quiet towns with lots of nature to see and walk about in.

I also like a good historical site, and I love museums (but not so much the art ones X3).

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Is travel to the DPRK all that dangerous? The (UK) Foreign Office current states, even with the mounting political tension, "The FCO assess that there is currently no immediate increased risk or danger to those living in or travelling to the DPRK." and "Very few British nationals visit North Korea and those that do are usually part of an organised tour. Most visits are trouble-free."
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/north-korea
Given that they have a specific system to advice "Avoid all/unnecessary travel to the/parts of the country," it suggests they don't consider the place terribly dangerous for tourists. I mean, if you travel to some semi-corrupt European country you could easily find yourself arrested and charged on absurd grounds.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Playful Pony said:
Desert Punk said:
Playful Pony said:
I would like to go to USA, I have never been to "the greatest country in the world" and I think I should! I can certainly see why people would be a bit paranoid about going considering all you hear about murders and drama in the US, but I imagine it is nowhere near as bad as they make it sound.
The people who whine about how paranoid they are about gun owners aren't really using their brains. The chance that they are going to be shot while visiting is less than 1% of 1%
Yeah like I said, it's just hype that makes people think it's truly dangerous. I am personally not concerned that I'll get shot, I imagine I was at a considerably greater risk in Kenya than I would be anywhere in the US.

Still, my main issue with going to the US is that I have no idea where I would go! I'm not a big-city girl, I don't much enjoy that experience but it seems like nearly all vacation destinations in the US are cities. Every travel agency in Norway are presenting New York and San Fransico as the ultimate choice. I'd like to go and experience New York for a day or two, just to take in the sheer scale of it all (I'm from a small town sparesly populated Norway), but after a few days in a big city all I want to do is get out and find some nice quiet towns with lots of nature to see and walk about in.

I also like a good historical site, and I love museums (but not so much the art ones X3).

For me, San Fran may not be the best place if you want a good ol American visit. New York is quite the site though. If your looking for history of the U.S., going to D.C. is an amazing experience. I live down in Texas and got to take a New York/D.C. week trip, and it floored me.

OT:
Honestly, if I had the chance to actually go to North Korea in a 'safeish' way, I would love to. I absolutely -love- culture and society, so it is actually enticing to me. The two reasons I don't find myself going is because of the tensions between the country and the West, and because what your shown on a lot of tours isn't what is really happening.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
triggrhappy94 said:
So, why do people, or why would you, want to travel to a country where there is a risk of getting arrested on false charges?
No, the real question is here: why would you to travel countries that are known enemies?

A guy walking around NK with a U.S passport isn't going to live long.

Vale

May 1, 2013
Probably for the hell of it. It isn't a very wise decision, but people like excitement so there.

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
im happy to just explore my on country Canada, its safe here (a lot of countries in the world aren't) we always have normal toilets (i have issues with weird bathrooms) no massive spiders/egg under skin laying bugs, and no deadly sickness spreading bugs/water :D

so yah, we even have a redwood rainforest and it doesn't have monstrous creepy crawlies!

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I'd be willing to vacation anyplace that has government-provided healthcare just to see what that's like. One thing I've heard from Canadians is that they dare not enter the U.S. with anything more than a cold, which I completely understand. I do live by a lake, and a huge forest, with a deer overpopulation problem, so vacationing in cities would not only end up with me getting utterly lost on the wrong side of town, but I'd miss seeing the stars and smelling the air. I'd really like to see New Zealand, for obvious reasons beyond what I just mentioned.