Treyarch May Not Be Done With WW2

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Mariena said:
cainx10a said:
Mariena said:
I would love another WW2 game.

But not from the Call of Duty series.

I don't want to see another "AMERICA FUCK YEAH! KILL DEM KRAUTS!!" rampage through the French countryside. I don't want to see another "Pip pip cheerio let's get them lads! Tea time with crumpets in 3 hours!" sneaky SAS stealth bollocks mission. I don't want to see another "ZA RODINA! NO STEP BACKWARDS!" Soviet human wave again.

How about a game from the German point of view, eh?! Or is it too politically incorrect to play as a Nazi?
Company of Heroes, does have a complete campaign from the viewpoint of a Nazi Commander.
I don't see any first person action in Company of Heroes? Which is.. what the Call of Duty series is about.
And Company of Heroes is about WW2, so yeah, it does fall in this category of historical war games. And I thought that might actually answer your question of whether it was politically incorrect to play as a Nazi, since CoH allow you to.

Moreover, even in WW2 fps' we can still play as a Nazi soldier in multiplayer scenarios, albeit, which really need a bit more innovation in terms of game modes.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Well, it's sort of true. This is the COD series' first venture into the Pacific theatre, and there was much more combat throughout Eastern Europe. They had to fight all the way from Moscow to Berlin, you know. It wasn't all interesting, but it was there. And if they're intent on making zombie modes in their WW2 games, they can make up a lot of stories and then tell those.

Zeromaxx

Walrus King
Jul 2, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
Well, it's sort of true. This is the COD series' first venture into the Pacific theatre, and there was much more combat throughout Eastern Europe. They had to fight all the way from Moscow to Berlin, you know. It wasn't all interesting, but it was there. And if they're intent on making zombie modes in their WW2 games, they can make up a lot of stories and then tell those.
It may be COD's first steps into the pacific front, but it's not the first FPS to go there. I can only name one off the top of my head, though, and that's Medal of Honor.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
cainx10a said:
Mariena said:
cainx10a said:
Mariena said:
I would love another WW2 game.

But not from the Call of Duty series.

I don't want to see another "AMERICA FUCK YEAH! KILL DEM KRAUTS!!" rampage through the French countryside. I don't want to see another "Pip pip cheerio let's get them lads! Tea time with crumpets in 3 hours!" sneaky SAS stealth bollocks mission. I don't want to see another "ZA RODINA! NO STEP BACKWARDS!" Soviet human wave again.

How about a game from the German point of view, eh?! Or is it too politically incorrect to play as a Nazi?
Company of Heroes, does have a complete campaign from the viewpoint of a Nazi Commander.
I don't see any first person action in Company of Heroes? Which is.. what the Call of Duty series is about.
And Company of Heroes is about WW2, so yeah, it does fall in this category of historical war games. And I thought that might actually answer your question of whether it was politically incorrect to play as a Nazi, since CoH allow you to.

Moreover, even in WW2 fps' we can still play as a Nazi soldier in multiplayer scenarios, albeit, which really need a bit more innovation in terms of game modes.
Okay, seeing as we have a few games where we can play as the Germans (I really don't want to count deathmatch FPS games like Day of Defeat and such), why are there so few German campaigns? Considering the Eastern Front is far more interesting (well, I most certainly think that way) than the entire overhyped American "fuck yeah" D-Day through France campaign and is where the "all" the action took place. Quite a few Soviet campaigns from the Call of Duty series, but never a German campaign.

Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts is the only game that has a German campaign that I can think of.

Sep 13, 2009
But in the meantime people definitely haven't seen the final charge of the Red Army, people haven't seen what the fighting was like in Okinawa
HAHA NO. I don't think that CoD series are even trying to show actual warfare, apart for Hollywood-esque drama and billions of explosions. Real Dawgs play ArmA and Men of War to experience virtual blood, sweat and tears.

cainx10a said:
And I thought that might actually answer your question of whether it was politically incorrect to play as a Nazi, since CoH allow you to.
People in general need to learn the difference between Germans and Nazis. Not all Nazis were Germans just as not every German was a Nazi. CoH allowed you to select different doctrines and kinds of units, and most of them were not even remotely related to, lets say SS, which was probably the "most Nazi" of all kinds of german forces. Take note, that the protagonist of the German campaign in Tales of Valor was Michael Wittmann, who fought in a SS unit, and WASN'T a Nazi Party member.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
*sigh*

Yep, I'm agreeing with the sentiments here. Going back to WWII after seeing Modern Warfare is seriously a letdown. I've had a BAR in my hands and shot it for maximum damage on Nazis in Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor and FOUR Call of Duty games.

I don't WANT another WWII sim unless it's some type of RPG or an RTS game, something out of the capacity of Treyarch. We have Somalia, Persian Gulf, fighting over in China, or a multitude of locals and modern, even futuristic weaponry. PICK SOME and let's move FPS fighting into the 21 century!

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
For some reason, game developers don't seem to realise that WORLD WAR 2 AND OTHER WARS ARE BORING WHEN REPEATED!

We get it, the allies won and the evil people didn't.

Get new ideas and MOVE THE FUCK ON.

/rant.

Sep 13, 2009
Gindil said:
I don't WANT another WWII sim unless it's some type of RPG or an RTS game, something out of the capacity of Treyarch. We have Somalia, Persian Gulf, fighting over in China, or a multitude of locals and modern, even futuristic weaponry. PICK SOME and let's move FPS fighting into the 21 century!
Somalia - too controversial + Americans lost.
Persian Gulf - would make a good vehicle sim, but there were relatively few ground fighting(compared to previous conflicts, of course)
China - definitely interesting, but not AWESUM enough for average CoD fan, probably apart for The Battle of Shanghai it lacked really impressive battles. Oh btw, bad guys won.
Wars in 21st century never had really huge proportions(and I'm glad), they were more based around small squads of men with air support, than EPIC CHARGES OF MANLY MEN that are common in CoD series.

It may appear weird, but it's very hard to find a setting to make an interesting FPS game.
I would pick Korean War, because for average kid "Good Guys" won, and it was big enough to make it similiar to previous CoDs without making it a generic WW2 us versus some nazis game.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Doktor Merkwurdigliebe said:
Gindil said:
Somalia - too controversial + Americans lost.
Persian Gulf - would make a good vehicle sim, but there were relatively few ground fighting(compared to previous conflicts, of course)
China - definitely interesting, but not AWESUM enough for average CoD fan, probably apart for The Battle of Shanghai it lacked really impressive battles. Oh btw, bad guys won.
Wars in 21st century never had really huge proportions(and I'm glad), they were more based around small squads of men with air support, than EPIC CHARGES OF MANLY MEN that are common in CoD series.

It may appear weird, but it's very hard to find a setting to make an interesting FPS game.
I would pick Korean War, because for average kid "Good Guys" won, and it was big enough to make it similiar to previous CoDs without making it a generic WW2 us versus some nazis game.
I'm hesitant on the Korean War. Or rather "the Korean Police Action" since Congress didn't call it a war. Basically, it's the same as Vietnam. How to turn a game into a great battle sim, I don't think you would start with Korea simply because terrain and tactics may not translate. Especially if people get to the end and it's a draw.

What I was interested in was how they can do these places and make them their own. Similar to how MW2 had Russia as a nemesis and different locales, it should be a fairly decent thing to fight in the various locals of the Modern or Futuristic age without too much of a change up.

Maybe the next Call of Duty could have laser beams. Seriously, the CoD franchise could use a little diversity. Namely, in alternating history and introducing new weapons and storylines to the series.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Doktor Merkwurdigliebe said:
But in the meantime people definitely haven't seen the final charge of the Red Army, people haven't seen what the fighting was like in Okinawa
HAHA NO. I don't think that CoD series are even trying to show actual warfare, apart for Hollywood-esque drama and billions of explosions. Real Dawgs play ArmA and Men of War to experience virtual blood, sweat and tears.

cainx10a said:
And I thought that might actually answer your question of whether it was politically incorrect to play as a Nazi, since CoH allow you to.
People in general need to learn the difference between Germans and Nazis. Not all Nazis were Germans just as not every German was a Nazi. CoH allowed you to select different doctrines and kinds of units, and most of them were not even remotely related to, lets say SS, which was probably the "most Nazi" of all kinds of german forces. Take note, that the protagonist of the German campaign in Tales of Valor was Michael Wittmann, who fought in a SS unit, and WASN'T a Nazi Party member.
Did you look at the date when you posted this?

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
Gxas said:
SmugFrog post=7.74190.825192 said:
What a disappointment. Haven't just about ALL of those stories been told? CoD 4 was such a refreshing change from Grandpa's war.
Not only that, 3rd grade through 12th grade social studies classes for me were basically "WW2" classes. We just learned about WW2. Actually, it was basically just about the holocaust. We never got into anything before or after it for more than a day and were taught the same things year after year. WW2 needs to be laid to rest. There are plenty of other important things in history that can be taught and have inspiration taken from them.
My classes got into a lot more then that. So much more that I can't stand world war 2 games at all. They're just stupid and tired now. Why do they need to go back to this putrid cliche bucket AGAIN? They've done it more than plenty.

Sep 13, 2009
Rusty Bucket said:
Did you look at the date when you posted this?
DON'T YOU DIE ON ME, TOPIC! **defibrilator**

It's interesting how that thread was suitable to what's actually happening now.
Gindil said:
Namely, in alternating history and introducing new weapons and storylines to the series.
As I generally approve of alternate history stuff, the last game that used such setting AND was good - Silent Storm. The problem is, that it never went mainstream. I don't think that general public would prefer "what if" scenarios over NAZI SHOOTER REHASH #234515 NOW WITH 14% MORE STALINGRAD.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
SmugFrog said:
What a disappointment. Haven't just about ALL of those stories been told? CoD 4 was such a refreshing change from Grandpa's war.
Not even close. Considering games always do the same old stories, I'd say of the whole war of situations that could translate into games, we've seen about... 10% covered.

And when I heard that WAW was back to ww2 I found a lot of respect for Treyarch. They've got balls. The fact is that it doesn't matter when a game is set, as long as the story is good and the gameplay is tight noting else matters, and the second World War provides more variety and opportunities for great stories and gameplay, involving nearly every nation of Earth, than any other conflict.

From a gaming point of view WW2 simply cannot -and probably will not ever- be topped.