Trigger Warnings and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
So I think I'm going to LP this game next, since it's in my wheelhouse and I've never completed it myself, though I do know what it contains. Obviously I should note it's very, very dark at the start, but one specific scene makes me wonder if the video containing it should have a special disclaimer regarding the...'elevator scene'. I generally laugh at and even mock a lot of the easily offended types, but I'm not ignorant of the realities of things like this. I'm wondering the best way to 'warn' about it/etc, if it needs it.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
What is the elevator scene and why is it so bad that it would need a separate warning aside from "This game is very dark and has disturbing themes/imagery"?

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
ah. for those not familiar, the 'elevator scene'...

contains the game's female character being forced to remember the details of a rape that broke her mentally, and confront it.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
LeathermanKick25 said:
Uratoh said:
ah. for those not familiar, the 'elevator scene'...

contains the game's female character being forced to remember the details of a rape that broke her mentally, and confront it.
Yeah, because we need trigger warnings for rape but not for all the other acts of violent shit that is shown, portrayed and played out in games?

Fuck the oversensitive people and fuck the people who are perfectly fine with disturbingly violent acts but rape is a big no no.
My concern isn't with the act itself so much as how built up it is. it's a payoff, as it were, to her entire chapter, culminating with the game slowly recounting the events of her life where she took every curveball it threw at her until that one night. Everyone's got their dark secret in the game, and there are tons of atrocities (especially in Nimdok's chapter, being a nazi doctor), but hers is, intentionally so, exceptionally personal. I tend to be jaded and it makes me a tad uncomfortable.

ItouKaiji

May 14, 2013
I don't think that particular chapter needs to be called out specifically. Just give a friendly warning at the start of each video that the series contains graphic content and mature themes.I think people can be overly sensitive, but a friendly warning never hurt anyone and since I could see people being just as offended by a
Nazi doctor as a disturbing depiction of how an act of sexual violence could ruin someone's life.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
Just use the good old fashioned warning at the beginning that it's a rough experience. You don't need to buy into pseudo-scientific silliness in order to properly prepare your audience.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I think you should just as a courtesy. Is it really that hard to put a short disclaimer at the beginning of each video that it will contain disturbing content, perhaps an extra message in videos where the content may hit a little too close to home for some people? I mean, yeah, if you just want to stick it to "dem evil feminists", then go ahead, don't put the disclaimer; but I'm not sure that the effort necessary to recognize the potential part of your audience that has had a similar traumatic experience is so great that you really need to debate this.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
ItouKaiji said:
I don't think that particular chapter needs to be called out specifically. Just give a friendly warning at the start of each video that the series contains graphic content and mature themes.
True, I've been thinking of making opener/ender bits anyway. Probably be good practice.

giles

Feb 1, 2009
Uratoh said:
So I think I'm going to LP this game next, since it's in my wheelhouse and I've never completed it myself, though I do know what it contains. Obviously I should note it's very, very dark at the start, but one specific scene makes me wonder if the video containing it should have a special disclaimer regarding the...'elevator scene'. I generally laugh at and even mock a lot of the easily offended types, but I'm not ignorant of the realities of things like this. I'm wondering the best way to 'warn' about it/etc, if it needs it.
The story is about how a computer hatefully tortures a group of people for 109 years. It features horrors of all kinds, including mutilation of mind and body, forcefully changing someone's sexuality, a Nazi "doctor", rape, turning people into helpless slobs of flesh and pain (kinda where the title comes from) etc. etc.
Singling out the rape scenario is bloody ridiculous.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
If I were you, I'd go with "Disturbing content/imagery".

I'd also be quite interested in watching this LP, because I've read the short story (of I Have No Mouth) but not seen the game.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Silvanus said:
If I were you, I'd go with "Disturbing content/imagery".

I'd also be quite interested in watching this LP, because I've read the short story (of I Have No Mouth) but not seen the game.
It's sort of an alternate 'what if' to the story. it references some elements of it, such as the cans of food on the ice, but since the game is occuring at all, the story clearly didn't end the same way. The game designers worked closely with Ellison (he even voices AM in the game) and had to wrangle with his vision of the story vs the idea of a game being 'winable'.

I may as well just leave this here since you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Uratoh42

I'll be starting to upload videos from it Monday. I think I'm going with the short intro-warning image idea.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
I'd suggest a content warning in the first few episodes of the major stuff like you said the "Elevator Action" scene and, Murder, Torture, Traumatic events and the Doctor's Scenario's Location and Employer. I don't know your general audience but I'd think people would be more upset to be shocked by those things rather than possibly have a traumatic relapse if they've been in a similar incident.

You wouldn't have to outright say what they are in each episode just say like "Okay here comes the X part." and watch this earlier part either for what's about to happen or might happen if you wanna list the bad parts in that will happen later on before the series getting going.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
There was a good series of articles on trauma, PTSD and triggers on this very website not too long ago. If you haven't read it, that's a perfect start because it adressing directly the sense and nonsense of trigger warnings when concerning video games. After that you should be reasonably equipped to make an informed call yourself.

ExDeath730

Mar 13, 2012
Like a lot of people already said, put the Mature themes and disturbing imagery bit at the start of every video. Not only because it covers a lot, but because of it. This scene seems pretty relevant to the history, and i don't think it would be good to spoil it with a trigger warning. Just let the viewers experience the game as it should.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I don't see a problem with putting a simple warning on your LP's.

If you don't need a warning, congratulations, but some people would like one- and it isn't hurting anyone to put a short, simple warning about what the videos contain.

I don't understand the crowd that takes offence at those trying to be considerate to others.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
LeathermanKick25 said:
Inconsequential. I know multiple male and female rape victims as well, and numerous victims of PTSD. If you've suffered through that, then I'm sorry, but you do not have the right to tell other people what they can and can't be offended by. No one said murder isn't bad. No ones crying for censorship. Someone asked if they should add a warning tag as a warning for people who may be personally affected by that type of scene, and you have the nerve to tell people to go fuck themselves. I'll ware that warning as a badge of honor, because I stand by every word I said.