Trilogy-itis

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
spartan231490 said:
Halo comes to mind. The second was definitely significantly below the other two.
Not being a "Halo guy" I've only dabbled with the games, but for my money I enjoyed 3 less than 2.

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
The Metroid Prime trilogy, at least in my opinion, somewhat falls into this, although I thought two was just about the same in quality as one. Three was worse, but not by that much. It was just different.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Kakulukia said:
I somewhat agree. Naughty Dog's track record in particular does this. Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter and Uncharted all followed this:

First game: Very good, but nothing to write home about.
Second game: Expands on the first, extraordinary.
Third game: Rehash of the second game, still very good but a bit disappointing.
I found the third Jak game to be far better then the second, sure it didn't change up the game completely like the second game but they perfected on the gameplay. One of the main reasons games can decline like that is by that time the team's ready to move on to a new idea and are just trying to pump out one last game, either to close up a story or to fulfill a contract.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
How come no one said dragon age2?

Dragon age 2 is not as good as the first for too many reasons for me to list , not the worst game , but pretty bad in comparaison .

Metroid prime 2. This is debatable , but personally i think that the developpers were trying too hard . Still a great game , very had and frustrating game . But imo it's the weaker of the three . But ... Don't quote me on that xD.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
In trilogies, I've always noticed that the first usually ends on a somewhat ambiguous ending, but an ending nonetheless. The second ends of a giant fuck off cliff-hanger, and the third ends the main story, but leaves a character cliff-hanger so they can make more later. Have yet to see anything deviate from this.

MajorTomServo said:
Off topic, but every time I see the title of this thread, I think it says "Trilogy-tits"
Same. Reminded me of recall.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
krazykidd said:

Dragon age 2 is not as good as the first for too many reasons for me to list , not the worst game , but pretty bad in comparaison .

Metroid prime 2. This is debatable , but personally i think that the developpers were trying too hard . Still a great game , very had and frustrating game . But imo it's the weaker of the three . But ... Don't quote me on that xD.
Is Dragon Age 2 a trilogy? I only know about Origins and 2.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Hmm I kinda see where you are coming from.

I do think Gears 2 is the best Gears game for example.

However I prefer TW1 to TW2 but I think TW3, if it's made could surpass it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
The7Sins said:
Kopikatsu said:
The7Sins said:
Kopikatsu said:
After watching the latest Zero Punctuation, it dawned on me that the second game in a trilogy is almost unanimously the best and the third game is when they start removing features that were present in the second game as well as it just being a weaker game in general.

So! Can anyone think of more examples/trilogies that defy this/an explanation for it?
Mass Effect 2 for various reasons was a horrible game that for me killed the franchise and made me lose all interest in it. (horrid nonsense story, retcons galore, worse combat system, DLC that made the entire main story plot pointless and should have been the 2nd game instead, Cerberus, Shepard dying, Shepard being resurrected, and other more minor things)

As such your opinion the 2nd game in a trilogy is always the best is flawed as Mass Effect 2 proves.
Not always. It says 'almost unanimously'. As in, most people think it's better most of the time. I think Mass Effect 2 was critically acclaimed.

Besides, Mass Effect 3 isn't out yet. Who knows, you might hate 3 so much that your head explodes.
1. Fair enough.

2. Most review sites are bogus and seemingly have developers paying them for good reviews. I rarely trust review scores as many horrid games. (ME2, Final Fantasy 13, Call of Duty, etc.)

3. As said ME2 killed all interest I had in the franchise. I will not get 3 as such it matters not how bad it is. Besides from the news it looks like the combat has gone to the point of making it kinda a Gears clone. That does not impress me. As for the story and if there will be lots of retcons obviously I won't know of them until the game is released but it matters not as the combat being horrid will keep me away. Had I knwon ahead of time Mass Effect 2 had gone down the road it did with the combat I would not have gotten it.
Besides even if it had been a good game the recent BS pulled by EA (SOPA support, Orgin, unfair Orgin bans) have made me boycott them and I will not buy any of there products ever again. And this is coming from someone who was playing the Mass Effect games on console and thereby would not have to deal with Orgin myself. Despite not having to use it I find it so appalling I just can not in good faith give them my money.

4. In the end I have to give Mass Effect 2 credit for 1 good thing it did. It taught me to never ever ever ever preorder a game. I since then and forever more will wait a few weeks to a couple months to hear all about the game's mechanics and story summary before determining if I should buy it.
Yeah, all game reviewers lie about mass Effect 2. In fact all fans of the series who think Mass Effect 2 is better are paid to say good things about it. There's not one single person alive who actually likes Mass Effect 2.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I don't know about that. A lot of trilogies just tend to be rather strong throughout, like Gears Of War and God of War. Regardless of what you think of either it can't really be said that the games got worst every time a new part of the trilogy was released.

Kopikatsu said:
After watching the latest Zero Punctuation, it dawned on me that the second game in a trilogy is almost unanimously the best and the third game is when they start removing features that were present in the second game as well as it just being a weaker game in general.
Ah, but, fuck everything Yahtzee says. Seriously, the amount of times he is outright wrong about stuff is beyond ridiculous. For instance, this week he said there are no intro scenes for the optional missions in SR3. There are optional missions Yahtzee, you dipshit, and I can't believe you just got paid to say something that's completely wrong. Also, whilst I do admittedly have a few irks about it, Saints Row 3 has improved upon almost everything SR2 did.

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
This clearly doesn't apply to the Star Wars prequel monstrosity. (Revenge of the Sith was quite good though, but that's just due to me choking myself to remind that I should like it.)

The7Sins said:
Congratulations on learning something. *activates party-poppers*

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Personally I think a better rule that applies to most series is that the first one is usually either very good or the best, then with each following installment the risk increases of the series turning to crap. Applies less to games really since they don't rely on story so much and can improve on mechanics and technology usage with each release but there are very few examples of television, book or film series that can maintain the same quality beyond about three installments.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
krazykidd said:

Is Dragon Age 2 a trilogy? I only know about Origins and 2.
The tirth one hasn't been released yet is all . Just like the people saying mass effect 2 :/. The story just isn't finished .

Monkey lord

Jun 25, 2011
I do se your point but I do not agre I thank that the prince of persia sands of time is the best game in the prince of persia trilogy and that the second and third games stand pretty equal