Triple A Gaming Is the Future, Says Epic Co-Founder

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Triple A games as in what? Games with a Metacritic score over 85? 90? What? If that's what he means, okay, great. But everyone has their own different tastes on what makes a Triple A game for them, so what's the point of saying that?

Bailos

The Apostate
Sep 26, 2009
Frontiersville? Back in my day, we had the Oregon Trail. And if you were being a ***** about dysentery, you'd get put down.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Well, it's not like he has an obvious bias or anything.

But seriously, though, free-to-play isn't a misnomer--he's just applying the label to too few games. I mean, check out Cave Story, Spelunky, I Wanna Be the Guy, and pretty much every game on the TIGSource forums, among other places. A lot of these games don't have in-game advertising (or are played in a browser), they don't require any type of social contact, and they don't have pop-ups forcing you to buy premium content at $15 a pop. They are, basically, free-to-play, and the first three I mentioned are damn brilliant games in their own right.

So, no, Mr. Rein, free-to-play can be free-to-play, and with how top-heavy and sequel-embracing the current market has become, you'd be lucky if it doesn't make like a game of Jenga.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Honestly? While saying that "free to play will destroy pay to play" is stupid, I really think that the AAA titles are in danger of driving off a cliff. Too expensive to produce, developers take less risks and stick with tried-and-tested formulas and an increasing amount of gamers are getting bored of the said tried-and-tested formulas (e.g. the warfare shooter being the most common trope of this type).

I think a market crash may be coming, due to developers producing the same old thing. And then, we would be left with smaller studios.

BboyTeddyBear

Mar 8, 2010
i think the industry lies in the indie peeps. Innovation comes before refinement. trip-a games will be big bucks and surprise the mainstream, but it always starts from some gaudy awesome idea. granted maybe a trip-a game will stumble upon a gaudy awesome idea and thus making that game orgasmic. Or we can just stick to incredibly refined games ie MW

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
... until Google starts making games. Then we'll see some crazy AAA titles that are absolutely free, and technologically more amazing than anything before it.

Dr Megadeth

May 23, 2010
dfphetteplace said:
No such thing as free? Apparently these people have never heard of pirating.
Do what you want 'cause a Pirate is free. You are a Pirate! Yarr harr fiddle deedee! Being a Pirate is alright to be! Do you want 'cause a Pirate is free, you are a Pirate!

In all seriousness, is there anything what actually governs a 'AAA' game rating?

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
True... AAA games are great... IF IT DIDN'T SUCK!!!!!!!!

They label any game that has a big budget a AAA game... WHICH SHOULDN'T BE THE CASE!

There should really be a governing body for classifying games in terms of quality... :/

EDIT:
About that governing body........ They might also get paid by the publishers to rate it an AAA... Damn economics... *sigh*