Trolls, Haters and Flame War Generals? Thank You

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I did have a feeling that trolls could be used to gather data, I just never thought of doing it myself.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
This partly explains why game forums are often at the top of the list for google searches at least. It's funny to think that the game industry might be monitoring what I type and hanging on my every word. The things that some people do to earn a living.

Feb 13, 2008
JP Sherman said:
Why marketers love the most savage members of the community.
Is there a page missing? It finishes very abruptly.

But be wary of trolls: "If you stare into the Abyss long enough, the Abyss stares back at you." - Nietzsche

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Yet another pointless list classifying different types of trolls.

Nothing new here, everyone. I wonder how this even bothered to be put up.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
TROLL WAR MOUNTS!!!
Err...
Ahem.
Fascinating read, interesting perspective, quite a bit creepy. Just what you need after dinner :p

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Troll tagging.

Okay, now, that's rather awesome.

AvauntVanguard said:
Yet another pointless list classifying different types of trolls.

Nothing new here, everyone. I wonder how this even bothered to be put up.
Allow me to be the first to say - I see what you did there.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
You forgot to say that because trolls are negative and passional and willing to see fault in anything they wish, they take away the sails of rational, negative arguments by association, [http://www.somethingawful.com/d/video-game-article/xcom-2k-fallout.php]which means games with bad concepts have a less steep slide to climb when trying to negate rational complaints regarding them.

It works both ways, of course.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
"First, I count the trolls and assign types to them. I then create a Google alert with the username and the keyword of the game. I can then follow that troll across networks to track their rants. The daily alert will track my game's reputation, exposing me to new forums, sites and networks, which allows me to identify communities that are supportive and communities that are hostile. Sure, it's a little like stalking[...]" --Actually... It's EXACTLY like Stalking.
I mean, first you're all like "Trolls are People TOO!!!" -and then you go-on to detail how you treat them like Cattle, milking Vital and Nourishing "Marketing-Information" out of them *yum* =P
In my opinion, this goes beyond mere Cynicism and Misanthropy into the Realm of down-right, Bold-Faced Hypocrisy!

...and since When are Flamers issued Military-ranks 0.Ô?

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
This google alerts of which you speak is both awesome and VERY CREEPY.

I did not even know about it, but now I do.

Tele-screen

Nov 23, 2009
I wonder if this sort of research led to the (quite appropriate) statement of the Duke Nukem developer talked about in this article... [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8071-PAX-2010-Hands-On-Duke-Nukem-Forever]

Another interesting look into the minds of the people fueling our consumer culture. Speaking of Duke Nukem Forever, I would love JP Sherman's analysis of the marketing challenges that surely surround releasing a 12 year old, oft delayed and maligned game. That has got to be a trick, given that it could never, ever, EVER live up to the hype. Even if it is a good game, which it might be, it couldn't possibly warrant the BS that has gone down during its development.

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
I'm only posting here to say that the dude who writes these articles posts his likeness with them. His face and body creeps me out.

Horben

Nov 29, 2009
"Obsessive Techno-Trolls do a significant portion of your competitive research for you. "

Coooold-blooded!

Great article. Your work makes me distrust marketing more than ever.

Scout Tactical

Jun 23, 2010
JP Sherman said:
Trolls, Haters and Flame War Generals? Thank You

Why marketers love the most savage members of the community.

Read Full Article
I thought the message of this post got a bit muddled and lost along the way, like the writer was trying to make a point and got off on a series of digressions. By the end... or even just the middle, the title felt deceptive.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
Example; How many people had heard of Justin Bieber before he gained hatred on the internet?
O_O

Its true! They are the most effective advertising method ever!

OT: In their efforts to be a nuinsense, they became useful. I think that is awesome.

Hey Troll, you're helping the company by saying it sucks! Now the company knows how powerful its fanbase is!

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I wonder if trolls on political forums (if you've never been to one stay the hell OUT for the love of god) are also somewhat useful to someone. Aside from that great article, it really surprised me and taught me a good deal about some of the rather inventive ways marketing teams gather data.