Tropes you are tired of.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Silentpony said:
Dragons as final bosses/embodiments of evil, especially if demons are established to exist.

Dragon Age, Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim. Its such a waste and a cop-out. To me dragons are like apex-predators, but completely natural ones. And neutral at that. They'll attack if provoked or hungry, but they should just be giant lizards.

And if we have giant soul-stealing skinless, eyeless, all powerful fuck-me-raw rape demons that can and will torture you for all eternity, having the big bad just being a Blue Dragon is so...lame.

Have both! have Cthulhu-esque outer world super demons AND elder dragons, but if its a game about fighting evil, have the giant rape demon be the final boss. Leave the poor dragon in his keep to horde gold.
To be fair, while DA:O has a corrupted "dragon" as the big bad, the other natural dragons in the series are just apex predators.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Smilomaniac said:
"Strong women".

I've been playing Skyrim again and they're everywhere. I don't mean characters with depth that are genuinly interesting and unique, but token female characters that are shoehorned into traditional/stereotypical male roles, to a degree that makes no sense in a cold and unforgiving early medieval "north". Whiterun especially is full of them, from Adrianna, Lydia, Irileth to the refugee redguard woman who comes at you with a knife. Something like half of the housecarl's in the game are female as well.
Like most of Bethesda's design, it's lazy, uninteresting and nonsensical. Obviously their games are not the best place for the first criteria I listed, but it doesn't excuse that it's not really in line with the setting.

Skyrim (and the newer Fallout games) aside, variations of this seems to have become a trope.
There are several long discussions to be had on this, but it's just a superficial thing that irks me. It's not that I necessarily disagree with explanations for the above (like suspension of disbelief or role models), but in this particular game it's as if some writer completely disregarded all sense and lore for the sake of mixing everything up and it makes it so incredibly bland and boring.
to my mind skyrim has always seemed more like a society where gender is largely insignificant, howeve germanic societies had a history of letting women inherrit and legally and openly being members of the military and the clergy. in viking society a woman was the leader of the household when the man was gone. in societies as harsh as skyrim gender tends to mean less because work is hard, life is short and instability and danger are a part of everyday life. in pre-christian viking societies men were also religiously obliged to die in battle if they wanted to go to valhalla, meaning that many died relatively young in raids and battle.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
mechman123 said:
I don't know which trope this falls under but, I'm sick of symbionts/organic technology/etc type stuff being EVIL(or at least only used ONLY by the BAD GUYS). Flesh horror maybe? Whenever the character wanders into a flesh cavern, its a WICKED place. If it pulsates in any way, or sculpted from flesh, its bad.

Another seeming trope is for any and all broodmother type creatures/characters to be evil. Why cant they just be neutral, or even a decent being?

Humans are Smelly. Why do we always smell bad to aliens? Any race that humanity encounters with a strong sense of smell always at some point comments on how BAD we smell to them. How nice would it be if a race liked how we smelled, or maybe even got a little high off it. Now THAT would be an interesting reason for anther race to avoid contact with us.
there was an alien brood in mass effect that were just frightened and forcibly moved to a place they had no desire to be in in Mass Effect. it was by taking away the brood from the mother that saren turned them feral and once you meet the mother she merely asks you to let her and the remaining brood leave in peace

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
CyanCat47 said:
... in pre-christian viking societies men were also religiously obliged to die in battle if they wanted to go to valhalla, meaning that many died relatively young in raids and battle.
Your justifications make sense, and in a fantasy game where the gender roles are identical, a lot of those same strong women would have also marched off to die in the same wars. I was also given the notion that the character's sex was irrelevant in the game where roles were concerned, since the character creation stats are not differentiated in any way (and indeed there are quests like the Mist Keep that play off of gender roles we sometimes take for granted today).

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
the December King said:
CyanCat47 said:
... in pre-christian viking societies men were also religiously obliged to die in battle if they wanted to go to valhalla, meaning that many died relatively young in raids and battle.
Your justifications make sense, and in a fantasy game where the gender roles are identical, a lot of those same strong women would have also marched off to die in the same wars. I was also given the notion that the character's sex was irrelevant in the game where roles were concerned, since the character creation stats are not differentiated in any way (and indeed there are quests like the Mist Keep that play off of gender roles we sometimes take for granted today).
another assumption made by many is that because women were not allowed to fight there can't have been any female combatants besides jean of arc between the beginning of civilisation and 1942. in truth many women have fought throughout history wether they were allowed to do so or not. at the battlegrounds of the battle of zenbon matsubaru (i probably misspelled that. sorry) about 30/100 of the bodies of combatants that were studied were women.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
CyanCat47 said:
the December King said:
CyanCat47 said:
another assumption made by many is that because women were not allowed to fight there can't have been any female combatants besides jean of arc between the beginning of civilisation and 1942. in truth many women have fought throughout history wether they were allowed to do so or not. at the battlegrounds of the battle of zenbon matsubaru (i probably misspelled that. sorry) about 30/100 of the bodies of combatants that were studied were women.
Oh yeah- tons of women have fought throughout history, either letting blood or raising shield. Not being allowed to fight doesn't matter much when injustice, desperation or war is forced upon you, for example.

As for the subject at hand (Tropes I'm tired of), I'd say the 'Chosen One'- rather, I'm bloody tired of that role for the hero/protagonist being used as a crutch for a hobbled story- and depending on the context of the action, 'waif-fu' -obviously, in high magic or superhero settings it's not really a problem for me, as everyone can be over the top- but am tired of it in other contexts.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
Nobody has mentioned "it was all a dream" yet? I'm surprised but I guess its so crappy that everybody already knows its bad.

What I am getting REALLY, really tired of is when movies will make a bigass trailer for something(Transformers Age of Extinction) and tons of promo material for something that shows up for all of five minutes at the end of the movie. Another horrendous example I can think of is "Bridge to Terabithia" which is my most hated movie of all time. I've stopped watching movies entirely because of this.

Prophecies and fate in general, especially prophecies being entirely good things. Just once I want to see somebody being told they were fated to fight the evil blah blah blah and they go and fight it but are completely surprised when they die, because it never said they were fated to win.

Basically I'd like to see a story where the chosen one fails utterly and people lose faith in chosen ones and do something for themselves. Pre-destined endings are boring.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
GestaltEsper said:
Demons are good, Angels/God are evil. The Corrupt Church. Humans are the Real Monsters.

I'm sure it was fine at first, and there are still series that manage those tropes well, but at this point I can't help but feel like it's gotten old.
The problem with that one is that it's attempting to apply subtlety by switching the paradigm in the opposite direction. It's solving a problem with another. I'm more a fan of universes that explore the idea of demons, angels, humans and others being morally and ideologically similar, with "salvation" or "damnation" being job descriptors more than outward indicators of general intent.

Personally, though, I'm annoyed by the idea that visual titillation equals power. Call me SJW if you care that much, but I have tons more respect for Brienne of Tarth than Bayonetta.

"But Protagonist X is so badass he or she doesn't even *need* armor!" is what some people might say. That's fine and is up to personal preference, but all I know is it strikes me as being adolescent.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
sonicneedslovetoo said:
Nobody has mentioned "it was all a dream" yet? I'm surprised but I guess its so crappy that everybody already knows its bad.

What I am getting REALLY, really tired of is when movies will make a bigass trailer for something(Transformers Age of Extinction) and tons of promo material for something that shows up for all of five minutes at the end of the movie. Another horrendous example I can think of is "Bridge to Terabithia" which is my most hated movie of all time. I've stopped watching movies entirely because of this.

Prophecies and fate in general, especially prophecies being entirely good things. Just once I want to see somebody being told they were fated to fight the evil blah blah blah and they go and fight it but are completely surprised when they die, because it never said they were fated to win.

Basically I'd like to see a story where the chosen one fails utterly and people lose faith in chosen ones and do something for themselves. Pre-destined endings are boring.
The reason no one mentioned that trope is because this is all secretly a dream!
*spooky ghost noises*

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
IamLEAM1983 said:
GestaltEsper said:
Demons are good, Angels/God are evil. The Corrupt Church. Humans are the Real Monsters.

I'm sure it was fine at first, and there are still series that manage those tropes well, but at this point I can't help but feel like it's gotten old.
The problem with that one is that it's attempting to apply subtlety by switching the paradigm in the opposite direction. It's solving a problem with another. I'm more a fan of universes that explore the idea of demons, angels, humans and others being morally and ideologically similar, with "salvation" or "damnation" being job descriptors more than outward indicators of general intent.

Personally, though, I'm annoyed by the idea that visual titillation equals power. Call me SJW if you care that much, but I have tons more respect for Brienne of Tarth than Bayonetta.

"But Protagonist X is so badass he or she doesn't even *need* armor!" is what some people might say. That's fine and is up to personal preference, but all I know is it strikes me as being adolescent.
As someone who likes Bayonetta in spite of her troubling aspects, I completely agree with you.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Silentpony said:
Dragons as final bosses/embodiments of evil, especially if demons are established to exist.

Dragon Age, Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim. Its such a waste and a cop-out. To me dragons are like apex-predators, but completely natural ones. And neutral at that. They'll attack if provoked or hungry, but they should just be giant lizards.

And if we have giant soul-stealing skinless, eyeless, all powerful fuck-me-raw rape demons that can and will torture you for all eternity, having the big bad just being a Blue Dragon is so...lame.

Have both! have Cthulhu-esque outer world super demons AND elder dragons, but if its a game about fighting evil, have the giant rape demon be the final boss. Leave the poor dragon in his keep to horde gold.
Actually Dragons Dogma dragon WASN'T evil. The name of the main Dragon, GRigori, is a hint at it's true nature: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watcher_(angel)

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Syzygy23 said:
Didn't know that actually. But to be fair I have less a problem with dragons as a thing to fight as I do with dragons as the singular embodiment of a thing, and its the final boss.

Like a blue dragon rampaging across the land and we have to kill it is something I can get behind.

But a Guardian Angel descends from on high on the personal order of the Almighty Creator to watch over His most precious creation and said Angel chooses the almighty form of...a Red Dragon...That's kinda lame. There's so much more you can do.

Like...Alexander from the FF series. I want my Almighty Angel of Judgement to look like that!
That's taking the idea in a new direction. A sentient Fortress that rises from the ground to basically Holy Neutron Bomb the entire land is infinitely more interesting a character than simply a fire-breathing Dragon.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
GestaltEsper said:

That's why I love Bayonetta and Guardian Heroes. In the former, both Heaven and Hell are assholes, and you end up fighting both in the sequel. Guardian Heroes has it either as Heaven as good, bad, or neutral, and Hell as the same thing depending on the choices the player(s) make. You can actually go through out the whole game without fighting either faction, if you know the story paths or get lucky.

I'll throw my hat in to Humans Are Bastards too. If done right it can work, but for the most part it's ham-fisted, pretentious, and hypocritical. Especially if the story, characters, and plot overall is just badly written.

Anything after Romero's Land of the Dead (or most zombie stories in general), Black Lagoon, that minor part with the spirits where they refused to help Korra in in Season 4 of LoK (doubles as Can't Argue With Elves The spirits refused help Korra because that makes her "like" Kuvira. Fuck that shit, if Korra and her friends died, there would have been nothing to stop the main villain from harvesting more spirit vines. Were the spirits just going to sit on their asses and be cowardly bitches on the sidelines? Fuck you, you're all pricks. I despise this trope when it comes to the Navi.), A Wind Named Amnesia, and Shaman King (manga version).

Also Nietzsche Wannabes as villains. They all start to sound alike, and are not fun to listen to nor entertaining. Usually it just sounds like a mouthpiece for the writers to throw their misanthropic views on the reader/viewers. Hey butt-fucks, I ain't paying for your product if you're just gonna go out of your way to insult the audience; especially if we're suppose to sympathize with your villain even though you wrote him/her as an unintentionally unsympathetic prick that never gets any punishment and supposed to be in the "right", because they lost their loved one. Well it doesn't work like that if they've been slaughtering innocent people with huge smiles on their faces.

Also tsunderes! 99% of them can go straight to hell; male or female. A majority of them are copies, of a copy, of a copy, of another copy. Helga Pataki, Lucy (Peanuts), Naru, Asuka Langely, Kagome, and Louise (Familiar of Zero); either be honest with them or don't bother with your "love interests" at all. Stop playing hard to get and straight up fucking tell them! And don't be assholes about it. To be fair, Helga is the nicest compared to all of them, and I still don't like her.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
I hate the trope First Girl Wins [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FirstGirlWins]. It's the whole reason why I don't watch Avatar. Because I knew it from the first instant that Aang and Katara were going to end up together. It seems lazy to me. I understand why. Because they have spent the most time together, they obviously are going to end up together. But what if they have no chemistry? Nope, sorry, they are going to end up together anyways.

Another one that I despise is Belligerent Sexual Tension [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BelligerentSexualTension]. I hate stories that have two characters fight and fight and fight only to have them end up together. If they have nothing in common and do nothing but fight, then why the HELL are they together now?! It makes no sense!

There are so many others that I have gotten sick of, but I can't think of them right now. Just know that these two are the ones that I hate the most.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
GestaltEsper said:

I agree. The first few times I saw this, I'm thinking around the time of Final Fantasy Tactics and Xenogears, it was provocative: "Whoa...they actually WENT there." Now it just seems childish and petulant, like "Yeah, yeah, we get it. You don't like Christianity--specifically the medieval, imperialistic, Roman Catholic kind--what else you got?"

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Rebel_Raven said:
Women as archers, mages, rogues, glass cannons in general, support, and medics almost always.
It's fucking annoying.
Magical, technological, and good old fashioned metal plate armors protect women just as well as men. Especially when magic, and technology make encumbrance a thing of the past via energy shields. Equipment doesn't just get flimsier when worn by someone regardless of gender.
It's really annoying in futuristic scenarios where people pilot mechs that easily override any gap in physical prowess yet no woman seems willing to take advantage of it! Ask Ripley! She used a mech just fine!
It's even MORE annoying when there's guys out there doing the same roles women are crammed into just as well, PLUS they have access to other roles! The annoyance increases when the guys are also generally better at the roles! Even more annoying when a woman manages to do the job better, but gets nerfed somehow so she's no longer super at her role or worse.
One of few things I really liked about Dragon Age II was the subversion of this trope.

Aveline spends the whole game in full plate mail and is the default tank. And the healer-mage is a guy.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Romance. As a theme, as an ending, a motivator, an ultimate goal to aspire to. I think a bit of new media is starting to wake up to the fact that most people are sick to death of it being the all encompassing golden emotion that everyone should experience or your life is meaningless shit.

Because frankly, having it stuffed down your throat as such since the late 80's would make you tired of anything as a concept.

Romance is nice, it's a good ...thing, but I think people need to see more of that. And that boils back to character dynamics as broader field of view. Interesting characters, interacting with other interesting characters, will always be 1000x more interesting than two blank 'hot people' twirling about in a fit of blind manufactured attraction and soaring music. And this ruins some truly great concepts and movies, by ticking a checklist of things that have to be in a movie/tvshow/game/book/etc.

Thank god we're moving off it...

retsupurae yahtsee

May 14, 2012
Mysteries in which a very obvious suspect is apparent, but then the criminal turns out to be someone who comes out of nowhere and makes no sense. This intersects with another cliche I hate: The policeman being the criminal.

Blue and orange in movies, brown and grey in games, purple and white in comics. We need large color pallets!

Lack of imagination: Stop making police procedurals, generic shooters, found footage movie and other uncreative shit. I like the DC comics shows and Marvel comics movies these days because they appreciate the weirdness of the comics, and the 1960s Batman movie and show because they were exactly like insane 60s comics.

All forms of censorship. Fuck censorship.

Everyone on the Internet talking racist shit about the Japanese and ignoring the classic games they made over the last 35 years.

Shakycam and out of focus camerawork: I like to see what is happening in my movies. It seems be becoming a lot less common though, so hopefully it is just a fad.

Quick Time Events and button mashing: Those are parlor tricks, not skills. Beating a tough game through my skills is satisfying and fun; mashing buttons until it ends is horrible. Fortunately, these also seem to be going out of style.

A lack of variety: See lack of imagination. I hope No Man's Sky and Star Citizen will resurrect the space simulator genre, and The Flash, Gotham, Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl will make imaginative superhero shows popular.

Stereotyping: Generalizations based on race, religion, tastes--almost as bad and dangerous as censorship.

Microtransactions and D.L.C: I already paid for the fucking game, let me do what I want! Is this even legal?

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
It's a fairly safe bet that your sickness of general tropes is in direct correlation with the amount of media and literature entertainment you've consumed. As I've tapped deep into all kinds of genres from anime to movies to books to games to western comics, I can pretty much tick boxes for most stuff that has already been mentioned here. In case of anime, I could just say all the tropes.

If I had to say something about western media, then predictability/plot armor. I know that there are productional reasons why you can't kill any or at least not many of the main characters, but when I am so bloody sure from get go that protagonist faction will have 0.1% mortality rate, at least among faces with names to them, I really struggle to keep my eyes open with action films. And on subject protagonists, having being told they are the relatable people and the good guys, because the movie tells me so.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
CoCage said:
Also tsunderes! 99% of them can go straight to hell; male or female. A majority of them are copies, of a copy, of a copy, of another copy. Helga Pataki, Lucy (Peanuts), Naru, Asuka Langely, Kagome, and Louise (Familiar of Zero); either be honest with them or don't bother with your "love interests" at all. Stop playing hard to get and straight up fucking tell them! And don't be assholes about it. To be fair, Helga is the nicest compared to all of them, and I still don't like her.
For some of them, Asuka and Helga from the ones you listed, have a legitimate reason/root cause, though not excuse, for their behavior. In Helga's case, from what I remember, she grew up dealing with emotionally distant and disconnected parents that clearly and vocally preferred their older daughter (Olga) not to mention her father was incredibly competitive constantly pushing her to be like Olga and her mother was an alcoholic (not stated explicitly,but clearly shown). All of that adds up to an insecure kid who would lash out at anyone that made her feel any kind of vulnerability.

As for Asuka, she was mentally traumatized at an early age
she found her mother, having gone insane due to the EVA project, had hung herself and the doll she had believed was the real Asuka when she was five or six (I believe) and was subsequently trained as a child soldier
plus I got the feeling that Asuka was confused(due to psychological trauma, lack of therapy and being a teenager), had no idea what she actually wanted and had little to no idea how to properly express her feelings.

However, most of the time I see the tsundere trope the character in question lacks an sort of root cause/reason for their aggressive behavior and just come across as violent or unstable people.