Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
twistedmic said:
CoCage said:
Also tsunderes! 99% of them can go straight to hell; male or female. A majority of them are copies, of a copy, of a copy, of another copy. Helga Pataki, Lucy (Peanuts), Naru, Asuka Langely, Kagome, and Louise (Familiar of Zero); either be honest with them or don't bother with your "love interests" at all. Stop playing hard to get and straight up fucking tell them! And don't be assholes about it. To be fair, Helga is the nicest compared to all of them, and I still don't like her.
For some of them, Asuka and Helga from the ones you listed, have a legitimate reason/root cause, though not excuse, for their behavior. In Helga's case, from what I remember, she grew up dealing with emotionally distant and disconnected parents that clearly and vocally preferred their older daughter (Olga) not to mention her father was incredibly competitive constantly pushing her to be like Olga and her mother was an alcoholic (not stated explicitly,but clearly shown). All of that adds up to an insecure kid who would lash out at anyone that made her feel any kind of vulnerability.

As for Asuka, she was mentally traumatized at an early age
she found her mother, having gone insane due to the EVA project, had hung herself and the doll she had believed was the real Asuka when she was five or six (I believe) and was subsequently trained as a child soldier
plus I got the feeling that Asuka was confused(due to psychological trauma, lack of therapy and being a teenager), had no idea what she actually wanted and had little to no idea how to properly express her feelings.

However, most of the time I see the tsundere trope the character in question lacks an sort of root cause/reason for their aggressive behavior and just come across as violent or unstable people.
I am aware of both backstories, and while I am inclined to give Helga more sympathy, I almost felt nothing for Asuka at that point. It didn't help that she always acted like hot shit, and seemed to hate anyone that did better than her or for being in the same goddamn room with her! By the time they showed Asuka's tragic past, I did not give a shit anymore. Helga at least had character development and time fill that out. Six Seasons will do that ya. Evangelion had 26 episodes, and some movies that retold the whole story a la abridged. And then you got the movies that retold the story to fix the ending, only to mess it up again with the new movie. I have not seen any of the new movies and do not want to, but thanks for being understanding.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
twistedmic said:
K12 said:
I'm going to offer a bit of insight into the swords thing. Basically my contention is that heroes have sword because swords are versatile and allow of defensive actions that most other hand-held weapons don't. The other main issue is that you can kill someone witha sword without making it look really brutal. You can't really have a hero with a blunt weapon (mace, hammer, etc) because when he kills the bad guy instead of a clean stab through the chest he ends up having his chest or skull caved in making a crunchy gelationous mess of flesh and splintered bone.

It's still a lazy default to always give the hero a sword though but there are some good reasons why that's the default.
To add to that, while knives can be just as versatile and sharp as swords, if not more so, they typically do not kill as quickly or cleanly as swords. Most kills with a knife are just as brutal and messy as kills with blunt weapons, and either involve cutting the throat, stabbing the head (typically through the eye, temple or roof of the mouth) or throat or stabbing multiple (at least three or four) times. All reasons why a character that voluntarily uses knives as a main weapon come across as dangerous psychopaths more often than heroes.
Cultural iconography is the main reason. between excalibur, masamune, damascus swords, and in some contexts even the christian cross (referred to as "the sword of christ" by some) the sword is surrounded by cultural legend. swords are one of those "evolutionary inventions" like currency and trousers. if a civilisation has mastered metal-casting swords are a logical next step. their association with authority also meant they were way more talked about in sagas and myths despite the spear being the weapon of the commoner. only the wealthy and powerful could write and they wrote mostly about the wealthy and powerful. duels were also common both as a part of upper-class life and the subject of popular culture and swords are some of the best duelling weapons since they are easy to carry around constantly. Louis XIV actualy had to ban dueling in france because so many nobles and courtiers died from them

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
How in any cop show when a hacker/cybercriminal is being interrogated and learning their password is vital it's always 1)Blindingly obvious and 2)A single word

Fucks sake, a professional criminal, a hacker no less would take a bit more care with something that can be the difference between their freedom and convicion!

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Finally getting round to playing Alien Isolation and I have a new suggestion.

Air vents! Fuck those things!

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
springheeljack said:
CyanCat47 said:
millenials as written by members of generation-X. games like life is strange are borderline torture to e because of the bad dialouge and characters based entirely on stereotypes. these characters are always addicted to weed or some other fucking stupid narcotic substance, aleways hate on their parents despite them only wanting to help them, have some kind of stupid hipster style and overuse dialectic nonsense like "hella" all the time. they also take "selfies", sacrifice all friends or loved ones for personal gain, lash out at anyone trying to get them to stop acting like suicidal idiots simply because "ermagerd, nuun understendz meh"
Honestly look at how teenagers/young adults are portrayed in the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s, and fifties and ask yourself if there is any real difference in how they are portrayed. The answer is of course that there is none. (This is of course barring the obvious technological/cultural differences). In every single portrayal of how young people act there is always ALWAYS going to be a rebellious character who bucks the norms and does different/deviant things. That is because it is a cultural truth that at some point a teenager/young adult will engage in reckless and dangerous/self destructive behavior. The manner, implementation and degree of the rebellion is different from person to person. However, there is also always the teenager/young adult who does not engage in those acts and is nice to their parents by gum! For every Chloe Price there is a Alyssa Anderson or Daniel DaCosta. For every Will Smith there is a Carlton Banks. For every Jeff Spicoli and Mark Ratner there is a Brad Hamilton or Mike Damone. For every Fonzie there is a Richie Cunningham.
I mean hell for every Romeo and Mercutio there is a Benvolio.
CyanCat, I am pretty sure "dialectic" doesn't mean what you think it means.

As Jack says, every generation misunderstands those above and below it... Subcultures misunderstand each other and the mainstream misunderstands them all. There is a distinct air of "How do you do, fellow kids?" about a lot of media, in part because most people writing and producing media are college graduates with several years of work experience so in their mid 20s at least. Slang changes constantly, and even 2 people of the same age, from the same city might have contextually different understandings of the same term.

It would tickle me, however, to see a film/game/TV show where the villain used the goldfish-like attention span of millenials to escape capture, identity politick their way out of trouble...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Breast plates and fanservice armor in a story where the men get regular armor. Forget sexism IT LOOKS FUCKING STUPID! Either go the way of Loren the Amazon Princess and have the guys walking around showing off their perfectly chiseled abs, or give the women some decent armor! This picture I found for a Skyrim mod illustrates the point perfectly
https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/110/images/48160-2-1389552998.jpg
All I ask for is consistency! I like world building! I like to feel like the game I'm playing was a carefully constructed world. I get angry when consistency is shat on for cheap fanservice in a game where the graphics make it look unappealing anyway, so what was the fucking point of it all?
retsupurae yahtsee said:
Everyone on the Internet talking racist shit about the Japanese and ignoring the classic games they made over the last 35 years.
Could you clarify racist? Because I can enjoy classic Japanese games and still point out the flaws in Japanese culture.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Ryallen said:
I hate the trope First Girl Wins [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FirstGirlWins]. It's the whole reason why I don't watch Avatar. Because I knew it from the first instant that Aang and Katara were going to end up together. It seems lazy to me. I understand why. Because they have spent the most time together, they obviously are going to end up together. But what if they have no chemistry? Nope, sorry, they are going to end up together anyways.

Another one that I despise is Belligerent Sexual Tension [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BelligerentSexualTension]. I hate stories that have two characters fight and fight and fight only to have them end up together. If they have nothing in common and do nothing but fight, then why the HELL are they together now?! It makes no sense!

There are so many others that I have gotten sick of, but I can't think of them right now. Just know that these two are the ones that I hate the most.
I would say that "first love interest wins" depends on how it is set up. in some cases like fairy tail they start of simply as friedns and co-workers but then slowly build on it based on them being close ot eachother in difficult situations and developing a respect aand admiration for one another. in other setups it can be utterly infuriating. for example: 1) the main character meets the first love interest. 2) the main character meets one or more other love interests. almost all of them are more interesting characters than the first. 3) the main character finds some arbitrary reason for choosing the first just because. This is basically writer self-sabotage.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Silentpony said:
Dragons as final bosses/embodiments of evil, especially if demons are established to exist.

Dragon Age, Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim. Its such a waste and a cop-out. To me dragons are like apex-predators, but completely natural ones. And neutral at that. They'll attack if provoked or hungry, but they should just be giant lizards.

And if we have giant soul-stealing skinless, eyeless, all powerful fuck-me-raw rape demons that can and will torture you for all eternity, having the big bad just being a Blue Dragon is so...lame.

Have both! have Cthulhu-esque outer world super demons AND elder dragons, but if its a game about fighting evil, have the giant rape demon be the final boss. Leave the poor dragon in his keep to horde gold.
There's a bit more to Dragon's Dogma's dragons than that.

[spoilers]They are basically angels in service to the equivalent of God in Dragon's Dogma's world. This is indicated by the final boss dragon using Holy elemental magic and the drakes, wyverns, and wyrms uttering in Latin, "Am I to die? The seat of God lies beyond." The only reason they are believed to be the ultimate evil is because they cause a lot of damage to find someone strong of will that they can make an Arisen, and that monsters move out of the mountains when the dragon takes roost. On top of that, the dragon itself is not involved with the cults that spring up whenever one shows up and in fact the dragon find these cults distasteful and tiresome to listen to.[/spoilers]

Spakko

Oct 28, 2014
Charli said:
Romance. As a theme, as an ending, a motivator, an ultimate goal to aspire to. I think a bit of new media is starting to wake up to the fact that most people are sick to death of it being the all encompassing golden emotion that everyone should experience or your life is meaningless shit.

Because frankly, having it stuffed down your throat as such since the late 80's would make you tired of anything as a concept.

Romance is nice, it's a good ...thing, but I think people need to see more of that. And that boils back to character dynamics as broader field of view. Interesting characters, interacting with other interesting characters, will always be 1000x more interesting than two blank 'hot people' twirling about in a fit of blind manufactured attraction and soaring music. And this ruins some truly great concepts and movies, by ticking a checklist of things that have to be in a movie/tvshow/game/book/etc.

Thank god we're moving off it...
Weeeeeeell... did you watch "Warm Bodies"? It was pretty bad in this regard. How bad? Well...
Love could bring Zombies back to life because... Because!
And yes, i'm aware that "Warm Bodies" was a ("romantic")comedy (or at least partially) but that was just... ugh!

Proto Taco

Apr 30, 2013
World of Warcraft

Its story writing can best be summed up as a cavalcade of tropes drowning in angst. Yet they still maintain a near-religious following of Blizzites who will swear it's a masterpiece and lose their ever loving biscuits if you dare ever disagree with them, you philistine.

With credentials like that I'd say it's earned the honor of being its own trope.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
MythicMatt said:
I'm also sick of dragons being this force of evil that overshadows everything. When do we get a story following a heroic dragon?
I would LOVE that!

I'm imagining a game where you can fly around Starfox64-all-range-mode style (but a much bigger world), and the bad guys are imperialistic Spanish-Inquistition-style dragon hunters who want to indiscriminately wipe out all dragons, but it turns out that it's only one faction of evil dragons that are burning, pillaging, and indiscriminately terrorizing/eating humans. Most dragons are good and have an advanced culture, but humans assume that all dragons are evil, demonic, mindless beasts. It could be a really fun game AND a brutal takedown of the "all dragons are evil" trope.

MythicMatt

Phantom of the forum
Feb 4, 2015
remnant_phoenix said:
I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

But yes, this sounds like an amazing game. We need to put some sort of team together to make it. I can write random dialogue, and maybe cutscenes.

retsupurae yahtsee

May 14, 2012
I often see posts on forums saying things like, "Those Japanese guys are sex offenders and their games and their games are shit, time to shoot more foreigners in Clal of Duty." That may be a slight exaggeration, but it is a common sort of opinion.

Other tropes I hate:

That joke that everything is about the Hokey Pokey. I hear that joke an average of a few times every week. It was never funny, it never changed, and I always hated it.
Games like Until Dawn and Telltale and and David Cage shit where the game is nothing but mashing buttons, and the stories are terrible. I like gameplay and good stories, not pushing a button like a monkey.
No longer having genres like adventure games and space simulators. I miss those and I hope No Man's Sky and Star Citizens can resurrect the latter. My only outlet for adventure games is obscure indie games, from classics like Space Quest Incinerations and Vohaul Strikes Back, Dropsy, Randall's Monday and the Ben There, Dan That series to shit like To The Moon and Gemini Rue.
Vaporwave: I still want to see the sequels to Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Spellcasting 301, Superhero League of Hoboken, Beyond Good and Evil and original games like Champions, that game about Las Vegas Dave Wong was writing, etc.
Toads, the most annoying, retarded characters ever and the only reason most Mario games are not perfect.
Comic books that take themselves too seriously and have no imagination, like most of D.C. and Marvel these day. I love Chew it is just as insane as classic '60s comics.
Elves, who are always genocidal religious fanatics who live in the woods and complain about technology. They are the fantasy equivalents of crazy survivalists.
Guys like Habermann and the C.R.P.G. Addict who refuse to play more than one type of game. We have 40 years of classic games with unlimited variety, yet they obsessively play the same thing forever.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
retsupurae yahtsee said:
Elves, who are always genocidal religious fanatics who live in the woods and complain about technology. They are the fantasy equivalents of crazy survivalists.
There is a trope I know you will enjoy. It's called <url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScrewYouElves> Screw you, Elves! I also hate the elves are better than you, because they "embrace" nature idea. Avatar (James Cameron) was a long winded 3 hour version of that in movie form.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
MythicMatt said:
remnant_phoenix said:
I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

But yes, this sounds like an amazing game. We need to put some sort of team together to make it. I can write random dialogue, and maybe cutscenes.
I can write the lore and the overall plot.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Inconsistent villain super-abilities to where it suits the plot:
*SPOILERS*
I'm using these 2 mediocre movies as examples because they illustrate it so well in the exact same way, but there are other movies as well (Matrix). SO the big bad boss in Blade can move with blindingly fast motion: when he says "my turn" he just does that blurry strafing movement right up to Blade and socks him. Yet when Blade has his serum needles, he just leaps at him, and while in mid-air gets perforated by these things as if Blade has all the time in the world.

End of RE: Retribution, Wesker does the same blurry-shifty thing so fast that he can throw his sunglasses at someone at punch them in the face right as they catch them. Oh, and he can dodge bullets. But when it comes to melee combat, he slows down so he can trade blows and counters with the protagonists. Yeah I know they're all fiction, but still, wildly inconsistent.

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
Half of them are just lines and the other half is story stuff.

"We are going to something something." "Something something this" *BLAM*: Just the worst, I cannot handle that line in anything serious. That is something that has to be a joke. You can't seriously use that line.

"He is more powerful then before!": Show don't tell.

"I have grown more powerful then our last blah blah.": Second verse same as the first.

"It was never about the blah blah": No really, then maybe have that MAKE SENSE

Anti Plot Armor: The act of stripping a character's advantage or power for no other reason then because the plot advances that way. (For Example: Quicksilver running faster then bullets and being able to anticipate attacks until he can't)

Lack of Motivation: Villains who are villains only because the plot needs a villain.