Trophies/Achievements that you hate

SplashyAxis

May 1, 2010
I hate achievements that give you an odd gamerscore, for example in Half Life 2, you get 2G for using DOG's ball to make a basket in Eli Vance's scrapyard.

There's another one which evens it out by giving you 13G, but you have to find the hidden singing Vortigaunt during Watar Hazard. I don't see why some achievements have to be awkward in giving awkward scores.

Secret achievements too. Here's an achievement, but we can't tell you what it is because it's a secret. I don't see the point in that. At least tell us how we can unlock it, instead of telling us there's an achievement that we know nothing about.

UltimateHorseradish

Apr 27, 2010
Sassy McFuzzers said:
I really hated that seriously 2.0 achivement in GOW 2.
I mean seriously, kill 10,000 people and all I get is 25 gamerscore? Thanks, Cliffy B...
This and the level *star* achievement, especially when you get reset from 73+.

Anything that basically says kill a bunch of enemies but doesn't tell you how many, i.e. GOW3 and Darksiders.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
I see a lot of people saying they "hate achievements that force you..."
I think that's a bit funny because achievements are completely optional, and the name says it all: they're special achievements. I don't see them as things you have to do. For me they're more of a "Hey neat, I accomplished this while playing!"
Which is why I never bother with the collect all 100 hidden items in the sandbox game achievement. I think it's stupid, pointless (usually adds nothing to gameplay)and boring.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
I hate 100% completion achievements. I mean seriously, why so many points for one achievement?

TheBadGamer

Mar 8, 2010
The 100 feather Trophie in Assassin's Creed 2. I hate it when there is a collect all/100% complet the game trophie in game.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I personally hated the "Little Rocket Man" achievement from HL2:E2. Stupid gnome doesn't stay in the car, stupid helicopter shoots the gnome out of my hand and sends it flying, and I place it on a table while I go shut down the giant turret, and come back to find the table and the gnome both gone. Hours of pure frustration.

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
i can't stand secret achievements unrelated to the story, i can understand chapter achievements being secret so you don't know where the stories going, but if it's not story related how the @#$% do they expect you to figure out what you have to do to get it...just irritates me

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
twistedmic said:
I really dislike all of those trophies/achievements that require online or multiplayer play. I am mainly a single player gamer and don't do online play, so it's impossible for me to get those types of achievements.
I second this.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Anything requiring online right now since I don't have a router yet, but the trophy in Infamous where you find all the blast shards. That's like 400 blast shards w/ only a small view of the areas available to try and find them...I'd have my first 100% trophy completion w/ my first platinum trophy ever. I love you Sucker Punch...but why? D:

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
Mass Effect - The squad member achievements. It's just way to time consuming, and if there's one tiny little thing that you miss, then you won't get the achievement, which was really frustrating.

Gears of War 1 & 2 - Seriously and Seriously 2.0. I mean, has anyone actually gotten those achievements? I doubt anybody could get these achievement because never in my life have I seen anybody with these achievements. And even if someone did spend weeks just to get them, they aren't even that rewarding because it only nets you 50 gamerscore, which isn't nearly enough for the amount of time you'd have to spend to get those achievements. I wouldn't be surprised if in Gears 3, there will be a Seriously 3.0 and it would go to 150,000 enemies.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Armored Prayer said:
The ones in Ninja Gaiden 2 that requires you to beat the game with only one weapon.

Its not too hard, it just it should be worth more than 5 gamerpoints.
I know, and I wouldn't even bother with the crystal skull achievements, without a guide.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Achievements that require shitloads of friends in the same game.. As for instance in TF2, buff banner achievement.. Like buff 5 or more friends at the same time..

Usually when that many or more friends play at the same server, we divide ourselves between teams. Cause it is more fun to kill your friends..

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
difficulty achievements that don't stack. If I beat your game first time through on Hard, I'm pretty sure I can beat Normal and Easy too yet I gotta do those 3 separately?

And personally I hate secret achievements that stay secret until they're unlocked. Unless you don't use websites, how can you even find out what the requirements are if you can't see the requirements? Then it turns out to be like "yay, you pressed X 100 times, good job!"

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
All the post-story Trophies/Achievements on FFXIII require obscene amounts of grinding and faffing about with components. It's just so sodding boring.

goatzilla8463

Dec 11, 2008
Stylish_Robot said:
difficulty achievements that don't stack. If I beat your game first time through on Hard, I'm pretty sure I can beat Normal and Easy too yet I gotta do those 3 separately?
Nice shout.

Also, that one on Mass Effect that requires you to play through the game more than once. Seriously? Could the fact that they want you to waste your time on the game be more blatant?

oxiclean

May 12, 2010
non-stacking difficulty achievements, achievements for not doing something, and collection achievements really suck.

if i beat the game on mega-ultra-insane-mode then i should be able to get the achievements for the other difficulty levels. why do you want to give me an achievement for not using my gun in the level? why did you put guns in the game then? no, i wont collect the 1000 pieces of grain you've hidden at the bottom of the ocean, why do you want me to hate you?

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
I hate all trophies/achievements. To me it's a cheap way of "value adding" while not actually giving you anything. I don't need bragging rights that I finished the tutorial of xyz game. Or that I've spent 24 hours solid playing Dead Rising. I should be chastised for that, not "rewarded"

hey_iknowyou

Dec 24, 2008
I dislike any trophy/achievement that requires you to spend long amounts of time on things that are no fun whatsoever in order to unlock them. e.g. Collect 100 hidden packages, collect all the blast shards from Infamous, etc. Generally I like to complete a game 100% but I refuse to spend hours going around collecting crap that I'm reading off the internet or some other guide just to unlock a trophy. (The only exception to this was in Batman: Arkham Asylum, for some reason I really enjoyed going around collecting all the hidden riddles.)

Usually my favourite kind of trophies/achievements are ones that require skill as opposed to pure grinding ability. e.g. Again using Batman: AA, the combat challenges and a few other trophies like complete a combo using every type of move I felt were tricky and enjoyed attempting to unlock them.

poet_lawreate

Mar 3, 2009
I usually don't have problems with achievements- I'm completely obsessed with them- because I mostly play FPS where they generally come naturally (get 2004 kills as Scout, set 100 zombies on fire or whatever) as long as you're a good and consistent player.

The big, worthwhile, title-awarding WoW achieves, however, I hate. I'm going for 'Chef' at the moment, and the pissy droprates are really starting to grate. Still doing it though. I'm pathetic.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Enigma6667 said:
Mass Effect - The squad member achievements. It's just way to time consuming, and if there's one tiny little thing that you miss, then you won't get the achievement, which was really frustrating.
Happened to me recently.Played through the entire main story and most of the side quests with Wrex and Liara in my squad but didn't get the achievements for either at the end.It was quite annoying as they are the last 2 squad achievements I need.Mass Effect kinda takes the piss achievement wise as it requires around 5 playthroughs to get all the cheevs

Not a fan of online achievements either as most of them are pretty boring.Kill x amount of people,win x amount of matches etc,