Trouble With Guitars.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Les Paul, without a doubt...I wish I was talented enough to play the guitar (tried for three years). It's a gorgeous instrument!

MrBojangles123

Jul 3, 2008
I'd get the SG. I have played guitar for about 3 years, I would choose it just because it looks cool, but I know that they are both very good guitars.

CIA

Sep 11, 2008
Definitely the Les Paul for Jazz, but the SG is really light so your shoulder will thank you.

Dragonblade146

Dec 6, 2008
Go SG. They are usually very reliable. (Depending on how much you pay for it.), they are very light, and are good for hard rock, and look alright playing Jazz.

Vires Vox

Oct 16, 2008
If your going for jazz and hard rock the les paul is the way, sg's are generally more for heavy metal and even harder rock, tend to have a "heavier" sound, whereas a les paul has a much cleaner and crisp sound.

Fruhstuck

Jul 29, 2008
TommyGun465 said:
PS.: I´m a jazz and hard rock player.
Got to be the Les Paul
SG's have an awesome, chunky sound for metal, but suck so bad for playing jazz
Also a Les Paul is what slash plays and you can't get more rock 'n' roll than

Greever

Jun 29, 2004
Go with a special edition custom telecaster. Great price for an awesome guitar. I own one in red with gun metal accents. The pictures do them no justice, go to a local fender dealer and pick one up and plug it in.

Whole lot of guitar for a very small price.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Telecaster-FMT-Electric-Guitar?sku=511262

And FYI you can always change out pickups and have work done to your guitar to adjust the sound to your liking. If you are looking for blues/jazz sound you should probably look at a traditional Stratocaster over a Lespaul or SG.

SG's and Lespauls are both more of a rock guitar, heavy and otherwise. Though what you also have to realize is your Epiphone "Lespaul" and "SG" is going to be of a vastly different quality than a legitimate Gibson. For beginners I would suggest a good strat as they are more versatile and can be customized to a wider range of sounds via the swapping of pickups.

Pawn shops can be a great place to find good guitars for cheap if you know what you are looking for and can do some work to them yourself.

fedpayne

Sep 4, 2008
Feel vindicated in that I would strongly advise the Les Paul, and that is what most people have suggested. If nothing else, it looks so cool. Getting the other, you might eventually outgrow that look, but literally anybody could hold that beautiful thing and look awesome.

kapzer

Nov 26, 2008
The Les Paul will go with hard rock too, so it's the best option. If you were ONLY doing hard rock then I'd go for the SG. But since you do Jazz too, go for the Les Paul. Then again this is an opinion from someone that has a BC Rich Custom Warlock