Truly BAD Media You 'Should' Like:

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
What are some TRULY bad media out there?
Stuff out there that's bad even for 'the niche of the niche fans'.
Stuff that's so bad, it's not even worth the 'slowing down at a car wreck' levels of bad.

An album, from a genera/artist you love, that you try and pretend never existed.
A book, from a genera/artist you love, that makes you think book burning ain't so bad.
A TV show, from a genera/artist you love, that you can't even compliment the end credits.
A movie, from a genera/artist you love, that makes you gag, like...for reel.

Basically, I'm looking for so 'so bad or boring, it's just bad or boring'.
A real 'if you hate yourself, please...not even this.'

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Easy, "The Chronicles of the Shadow War." The novels sequel to the George Lucas movie Willow.

Chris Claremont collaborated with Lucas on the books, and they are awful. It took me a long time to get through even one book, and I couldn't finish the second at all. They're worthless, they crush all the life out of the world the movie created (and that wasn't much more than just basic, even pretty simple, fantasy.) They take 2 of the most interesting characters in the movie and kill them off screen in the first couple of chapters of the first book. They take a nonstandard hero and main character, and in those same 2 chapters turn him into an average, run-of-the-mill fantasy hero. And change his name... he just flat out isn't Willow any more. The casting of a (gods forbid) movie version of Shadow Moon would see Warwick Davis playing Willow for the first scene, and average generic slightly grizzled handsome guy (uhh... think Dermot Mulroney) for the rest of the movie. And then they set out on the adventure, to stop and pick up a whiny, insufferable brat to help out; a character we only knew as a baby that everyone was trying to protect in the movie. But in the novels she is so unlikeable the audience just wants to stop in on the final fight scene in the movie and take Willow aside and say, "Maybe think about letting the evil queen sacrifice this baby. It may not turn out great for everyone... but it will save you tons of grief later."

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Halo fucking 5.

Fuck me, I could go on about how much I hate that game's story, but im at work right now, and I really don't want to depress myself.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Skyrim. Compared to Dragon's Dogma or Dark Souls it's just mediocre.
Borderlands is garbage that's only vaguely tolerable if you're playing with a friend.
Breaking Bad is I guess technically a well written show but I found it predictable and it acted like it was smarter than it really was.
Most Monty Python and Black Adder doesn't actually age well but as a British man I'm supposed to like it.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Laggyteabag said:
Halo fucking 5.

Fuck me, I could go on about how much I hate that game's story, but im at work right now, and I really don't want to depress myself.
Halo fucking 5... Oh lawdy, that game gave me PTSD.

-

Being John Malkovich - Everyone's super cringey and/or a ****. I couldn't even finish it. The cringe was so bad...

The Voices - Once again, I didn't finish it. Seeing all those sick acts committed against all those innocent people made me feel... Not good. And I thought it was gonna be a comedy or something...

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
It's hard to choose between the Metallica albums of St. Anger and that album they did with Lou Reed, Lulu

St. Anger just plain old sucked and should not be listened to, but Lulu is so bad it's actually pretty funny (I am the table!) and it wouldn't be a total waste of time if you listen to it

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Most TV shows. The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Modern Family, Community, and Big Bang Theory. I've watched multiple episodes of all and can't for the life of me find the appeal. Not one character acts or talks how a real person does, not one situations is believable let alone funny, and not once have I felt anything approaching passion in any of the acting.
It all seems so dry, so stiff. Like who actually thinks these shows accurately reflect life, or that any character is worth emulating?!

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Batman vs Superman. I literally turned to my girlfriend halfway through to say "I hate this" only for her to breathe a sigh of relief that she wouldn't have to pretend to have enjoyed it for my sake.

And no, before the obligatory defense squad shows up, I'm not interested in debating its merits.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Let me think... I'm inclined to mention Spring Breakers. I mean, I'd hesitate to say there was nothing redeeming about it, namely I really liked James Franco's performance as a sleazy white trash rapper, but overall it was a vacuous waste of time. Every character's personality consisted of exactly two traits, drunk and horny. Watching it felt like being the only sober person at a party, at the end of it you're just annoyed and tired and want to take a shower and go to bed. I think it was trying to make some sort of point about about american excess but Michael Bay, of all people, treated the same themes more gracefully the very same year in Pain and Gain.

I'd bring up Twilight now but absolutely noone wants to go over that again so I'll spare you.

JUMBO PALACE said:
Batman vs Superman. I literally turned to my girlfriend halfway through to say "I hate this" only for her to breathe a sigh of relief that she wouldn't have to pretend to have enjoyed it for my sake.

And no, before the obligatory defense squad shows up, I'm not interested in debating its merits.
And here I was getting my hopes up.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
PsychedelicDiamond said:
And here I was getting my hopes up.
Hey man, you do you. I'm glad some people enjoy it but it couldn't have been a more disappointing cinema experience for me. Fingers crossed for Justice League though.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Arnoxthe1 said:
The Voices - Once again, I didn't finish it. Seeing all those sick acts committed against all those innocent people made me feel... Not good. And I thought it was gonna be a comedy or something...
Haha, I didn't know there are actually people this squeamish. Those women were happy in the fridge anyway.

PsychedelicDiamond said:
Let me think... I'm inclined to mention Spring Breakers. I mean, I'd hesitate to say there was nothing redeeming about it, namely I really liked James Franco's performance as a sleazy white trash rapper, but overall it was a vacuous waste of time.
Well, I liked the movie. And that means your opinion is wrong. :^) I liked its naturalism.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Personally, I thought It was a bad movie I should have liked. But besides Pennywise (Which I did like), the whole thing seemed like it was actively trying to make me dislike it. I actually went to the bathroom three times during the film, once just to check my phone, and at no point did I hesitate because I might 'miss something.'

Silentpony said:
Like who actually thinks these shows accurately reflect life, or that any character is worth emulating?!
No one, and I question why you would think anyone would, or should.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Silentpony said:
Most TV shows. The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Modern Family, Community, and Big Bang Theory. I've watched multiple episodes of all and can't for the life of me find the appeal. Not one character acts or talks how a real person does, not one situations is believable let alone funny, and not once have I felt anything approaching passion in any of the acting.
It all seems so dry, so stiff. Like who actually thinks these shows accurately reflect life, or that any character is worth emulating?!
Aren't all those comedies? Have you tried stuff like Oz, Breaking Bad, Westworld or The Wire?

The most recent album of one of my favorite bands, Equilibrium, was definitely a dud. It had nothing of the excessively grandiose, campy pomposity that made me fall in love with their music in the first place. It was like a watered down, nerfed version of everything they'd done before. And the english lyrics, just no. Get back to making 10+ instrumental folk metal songs whose pomposity makes Dragonforce blush.

Muse is my favorite band of all time, and the album Origin of Symmetry has some of their biggest classics like New born or Plug in Baby. But most of the album is spent on endless, meandering, slogging, noodling prog... I don't even know what to call them. They're too heavy to be ballads, but don't rock enough to be called songs. Let's just call them Ljubljana for absolutely no reason. The Ljubljana take up what feels like most of the album, and the vocals are so distorted and filtered that they become completely incomprehensible, and Matt Bellamy spams his falsetto like there's no tomorrow. It's like listening to a buzzsaw for 40 minutes. Just no.

The first two Berserk movies (the third one gets a pass from me) and that fucking botched abortion they call the new anime. They took what should be the Game of Thrones of anime in terms of production quality, and assraped it to death. It's hideous beyond comprehension, logic, and the limits of the english, or any language.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
ITT: People just listing things they don't like. Like every thread like this, of course, so I don't know that I should be surprised.

OT: One of the most ever-enduring musical examples of this will forever be brokeNCYDE (or however the blazes that name was stylized).

I know a lot of people have a visceral hatred for a lot of screamo-type music, but they take the cake even for many of us who are fans.

Just for comparison, here's another "scene" band that received a lot of criticism back in the day for being little more than a cacophony of poorly-composed noise:

I think, even if you don't like the second song, you should be able to agree that it's far better than the first.

Bonus! Something that combines what people might consider the worst parts of both prior songs!

For something a bit more modern, we have the infamous Suicide Silence "teehee", though that's something that's more of a concern for people who are fans of the genre rather than those who aren't.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
McElroy said:
Haha, I didn't know there are actually people this squeamish. Those women were happy in the fridge anyway.
Trust me. I don't care about violence itself. The Voices is a sick movie that makes me want to cry and burn the world.

OK, maybe being too dramatic... But really now. What a sick fuck. Seeing terrible things happen to good people is almost unbearable for me.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

"A Day in the Life," and, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," are amazing songs on an otherwise bland album. It's not a bad album, but if you take away those two aforementioned songs then you're left with the titular tracks and, "With a Little Help From My Friends," which are catchy but not extraordinary. I guarantee that when people talk up this album they aren't talking about, "Fixing a Hole," "Getting Better," "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite," "Lovely Rita," "She's Leaving Home," "When I'm Sixty-Four," and certainly not, "Within You Without You."

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
McElroy said:
Trust me. I don't care about violence itself. The Voices is a sick movie that makes me want to cry and burn the world.

OK, maybe being too dramatic... But really now. What a sick fuck. Seeing terrible things happen to good people is almost unbearable for me.
So that limits your media options doesn't it?

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
As a huge Whedon fan of Buffy and Firefly, I SHOULD love Dollhouse but it's not very good. The show really hinges on Eliza Dushku actually acting and she's a horrible actress. It's one thing to have to play one character well but she has to play a different character every episode and she doesn't even come close to pulling it off.

As a huge Nolan fan and loving space and science, I SHOULD love Interstellar but I didn't care for it at all as a whole. There's some really great scenes but the movie falls apart on a couple plot points. I did recall hearing/reading that Interstellar was originally a Spielberg project so I guess that makes sense as to why it just doesn't work.

There's only one really bad piece of media that I can think of that should've been great but was just plain horrible, truly truly bad. I think Zack Synder is a good director; Watchmen is my favorite comic book movie, Man of Steel is my favorite Superman movie, I even like Sucker Punch. But the following movie is possibly the worst movie ever made, it's so bad that my friends and I have discussed just how bad this movie is for hours upon hours. I guess in the end it has provided entertainment in how bad it is...
JUMBO PALACE said:

Anyone that legitimately likes BvS should be considered clinically insane :)

Anyway, I saw BvS on the Thursday night before such word got out because I wanted to go in without any biases really. I still remember rolling my eyes at the opening lines of this turd sandwich. Then, the scenes of Batman in Metropolis during the end of Man of Steel were solid thinking it could turn around. But everything after that pure irredeemable garbage. I even remember thinking during Batman's parents' deaths why do they keep highlighting that his mom is named Martha, no mention of Thomas whatsoever, it felt so odd. Then, "the scene" happened and I wanted to punch whoever wrote that tripe. BvS is leagues worse than probably any Michael Bay shit show as they at least follow a remnant of internal logic.

bartholen said:
Muse is my favorite band of all time, and the album Origin of Symmetry has some of their biggest classics like New born or Plug in Baby. But most of the album is spent on endless, meandering, slogging, noodling prog... I don't even know what to call them. They're too heavy to be ballads, but don't rock enough to be called songs. Let's just call them Ljubljana for absolutely no reason. The Ljubljana take up what feels like most of the album, and the vocals are so distorted and filtered that they become completely incomprehensible, and Matt Bellamy spams his falsetto like there's no tomorrow. It's like listening to a buzzsaw for 40 minutes. Just no.
Muse is my 2nd favorite modern band after the classic rock era but their albums after Resistance are pretty shitty IMO. Thus, I SHOULD like them but they suck. In my Muse playlist, the only song from the last 2 albums that makes the cut is Mercy. Origin of Symmetry has 8 songs on my playlist which is 2nd highest with the 1st album having the most songs. I can definitely see Matt's vocals becoming annoying during several songs, he just goes on and on at times. Absolution is the one album that I think I dislike the most out the albums that I do like, the songs don't have enough variance in sound for me and sorta bleed into each other.

Silentpony said:
I'm routinely told that I'm just like Jay Pritchett from Modern Family and Pierce Hawthorne from Community and I'm not at all old either. Arrested Development is a prime example of a hilarious show that's nothing like real life. Whereas Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm are hilarious because they are like real life. Most of the shows you mention lean heavily into the 1st category. Even then there's some great characters in there like April Ludgate from Parks and Rec reminds me very much of one of my friends.