Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Clearly I'm a simpleton, because I have to be missing something crucial here.

Trump has been saying for weeks that the election was "rigged", and yet here he is actually trying to rig it.
Just... what?
What gets me is that he's fighting so hard for a job he's clearly not interested in doing. He's talked about the "RIGGED ELECTION!" like every goddman day but a thousand people dying a day of COVID? Crickets.

Oh that's right, one of those affects him.....

Reactions: Agema and BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
How, by calling the sources liars, like you've been doing this whole time? Nah, I think I'll save my words for people who are little higher up on the pyramid than you are.
Have a pleasant evening.
It is funny how you think that you are making a point and not just trying to avoid things. Feel free to continue to be the perfect mark for a conman like trump and his people.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
The call was released because Trump lied about it, specifically by lying about Raffensperger when he tweeted this....

I spoke to Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger yesterday about Fulton County and voter fraud in Georgia. He was unwilling, or unable, to answer questions such as the “ballots under table” scam, ballot destruction, out of state “voters”, dead voters, and more. He has no clue!

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah, go ahead and listen to it instead of letting the media take it out of context and present their carefully crafted narrative.
Well, some of us do put the time in. I've read the transcript, and it is a(nother) appalling display from Trump. True, a huge chunk of it is Trump spouting gibberish he's got from watching right-wing media which Raffensperger patiently rebuts. The media may well have dwelt mostly on the really shameful bits, but those shameful bits are there, and they are no less shameful for the fact there is a lot of other stuff in there too. Inappropriate, unethical, possibly even illegal.

But really, even pointing out the bulk isn't attractive for Trump either. He's basically just unloading in a mostly incoherent fashion with dodgy rumours he's ripped off the internet and ultra-conservative cable news. It's the sheer ineffectuality of his verbiage, spattered with his usual groteque bragging, insults, falsehoods, crass blandishments and even the odd threat. You can see that it's his advisors who are stepping in at various points to turn the swill he's disgorging into some sort of useful actionable points.

This is the thing about Trump. His supporters actually benefit from the media cutting out so much of what he says in the average press conference or call, because to experience it all is to see just how pointless, unfocused and garbled so much he says is. And let's not pretend he steps away from the cameras to sit behind a desk and suddenly transforms into a man with consummate control of the details, laser-like precision and concentration.

Reactions: tippy2k2

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
And what he says is true, ignoring the evidence and essentially allowing fraud to happen by refusing to investigate could be viewed as criminal. It's not a threat anymore so than "if you commit crimes, you're going to jail" is a threat.
Sure the message is ''if you commit crimes you're going to jail'' what makes it a threat is that Trump defines what's a crime and in this case the ''crime'' is the guy not going out of his way to rig the election for him. So then the message becomes ''If you don't commit electoral fraud I say its a crime and I'll send you to jail''

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Too bad that the death penalty is not applicable to this, it would be pretty funny to see the fat sack of shit get shot by his own firing squad.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Trump defines what's a crime
If that were true, he'd have everyone who he suspected to be involved in fraud in jail.
But that's not happening, so that must not be true.

Trump can't just unilaterally send people to jail, nor can he just write laws on a whim.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Too bad that the death penalty is not applicable to this, it would be pretty funny to see the fat sack of shit get shot by his own firing squad.
If it were up to me, the most severe forms of punishment would be reserved for corruption in politics, since it's most important for society to keep that aspect honest.

Reactions: MrCalavera and Kwak

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If it were up to me, the most severe forms of punishment would be reserved for corruption in politics, since it's most important for society to keep that aspect honest.
You have to be kinda careful with trying to have too severe a form of punishment for things like that since it can make people less likely to hold people accountable. For instance one reason cops are more likely to be let off is because them going to jail is seen as a death sentence so some juries are more likely to let them off since they don't think what the cop did warrants that kind of punishment.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
If that were true, he'd have everyone who he suspected to be involved in fraud in jail.
But that's not happening, so that must not be true.

Trump can't just unilaterally send people to jail, nor can he just write laws on a whim.
No but he does control the justice department by his ability to install just any crony he wishes. And sure there are limits on that. But taking that risk still requires a bit of bravery. But the chance exist that you end up being wrong and Trump's crony jails you.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
No but he does control the justice department by his ability to install just any crony he wishes. And sure there are limits on that. But taking that risk still requires a bit of bravery. But the chance exist that you end up being wrong and Trump's crony jails you.
Sure, the theoretical possibility exists, but I think it's very unlikely, especially if you believe he'll soon out of office.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
What gets me is that he's fighting so hard for a job he's clearly not interested in doing.
Ah, but that's the thing: he's not fighting to the job of the president. He's fighting hard to be the president.

He values being able to swan around enjoying the attention, being powerful and important, ordering people to do things, having people be deferent and respectful to him. The actual work can mostly be done by flunkies whilst he gets to preen himself listening to right-wing cable news talk about how amazing he is.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
He values being able to swan around enjoying the attention, being powerful and important, ordering people to do things, having people be deferent and respectful to him.
And being shielded from the avalanche of costly legal proceedings awaiting him as a private citizen, of course.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009