Trump ordered to pay $350 million for fraudulent business practices in New York

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I suspect that's what a lot of Trump's lawyers, employees and so on are like: people who will just do what Trump wants, irrespective of whether what they are being asked to do is illegal, immoral, or incompetent.
They're also, by and large, complete morons, because they expect to be something other than to be stiffed, and thrown under the bus the microsecond it proves expedient to Trump.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
They're also, by and large, complete morons, because they expect to be something other than to be stiffed, and thrown under the bus the microsecond it proves expedient to Trump.
I suspect some might be more knowing than that: they understand it's all part of the game. Imagine a medieval king and his court - the court full of flatterers, hanger-ons and the like all of whom know that they can be disposed of at the king's whim if they fall out of favour. They will have seen it happen to many others, maybe even made it happen themselves in their own ascent. They may still be bitter and vengeful if it happens to them, of course, but at some level they knew the risks. People like Cohen, of course, are never that loyal: they're happy to defraud their patron when it suits them.

You can take Alina Habba, who seems to stand out as a prime mediocrity: full of ambition, who has successfully flattered the boss and been rewarded with lots of work and fame - and presumably payment - she'd never have dreamed of getting without Trump. Work that is apparently beyond her competence, but hey, I doubt she's complaining.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I think there's a possibility that the defence lawyers had their hands tied by their client.

For instance, your client might insist you try to prove that witnesses are lying, even if it is ineffective, possibly even counterproductive. Maybe you could basically concede the crime and instead argue to have the charges downgraded from a felony to misdemeanour, but your client refuses to concede an inch. And, well, your client is paying, so maybe you just do the best with the limitations they have set.

I suspect that's what a lot of Trump's lawyers, employees and so on are like: people who will just do what Trump wants, irrespective of whether what they are being asked to do is illegal, immoral, or incompetent.
That would be true, if Trump paid his lawyers.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
That would be true, if Trump paid his lawyers.
To be fair, he mostly appears to pay people as long as they're still useful to him.

At the point they don't get paid, that's the message he's done with them - and if they want their remuneration, they can sue for it.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
TBF, what happen to people who end up with like a life sentence if they don't pay their lawyer? Like, whet are they gonna do?

Oh and in "really fucking depressing news" the Georgia case, ie "how has he not been put in prison for life for asking people to stuff the ballot?!" case as been indefinitely put on ice until the election pass so that if he win, it'll all be sweeped under the rug. I'm often really glad I'm not american, but I think it won't ever be as true as in next November.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

A well-known Christian Bible reviewer on YouTube reviews the 'God Bless the USA' Bible that Donald Trump recently endorsed.

In short: cheap & nasty. Pages sticking together. Extra $15 charged for shipping then it arrives in a cheap lightly-padded envelope. US Constitution and Bill of Rights also in there, as well as the chorus of Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" (lol). No printed info on where it was made, though Lee Greenwood's site says it was made in USA.

Using the Word of God itself as a money-making scam. Ah, if only Christian 'fundamentalists' gave a shit about Christian fundamentals.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fuck off Dr. Phil!

CNN’s Abby Phillip and Dr. Phil McGraw disagreed over former President Trump’s hush money trial on air Thursday evening, resulting in the host saying she doesn’t understand how he came to his opinion.

McGraw joined Phillip shortly after sitting for an interview with Trump where they discussed the specifics of the former president’s trial just a week after the guilty verdict was handed down.

“You’re clearly sympathetic to Trump, but you believe that he should drop this talk of revenge. Did he commit to not pursuing that if he was elected President?” Phillip asked about their interview.

McGraw answered by saying he would be sympathetic to President Biden too if he was the one in that situation.

“Well, first of all, I’m sympathetic to what Trump has gone through in this particular trial because I think it was not proper due process for him,” McGraw responded. “I would say the same thing if was Biden or anyone else in that process. So, I want to be clear.”

Phillip then pressed the famous talk show therapist, asking why he thought Trump didn’t get due process in the criminal case that resulted in his historic conviction.

“I mean, the proceedings, we have reporters in there, I was in there for a lot of it. There was a judge and he adjudicated a lot of these questions,” Phillip said. “Why do you think he wasn’t given a fair process?”

“Well, I think it’s a number of things. I think they’re from a jury standpoint. And again, let me be clear, I’m not a lawyer. I look at it in terms of what the jury was given to solve this puzzle,” he said in response. “And I think they heard some things that were very prejudicial that had nothing to do with solving the problem of the case at hand.”

McGraw continued, hinting that Trump’s former fixer, Michael Cohen, testifying in the case as “someone that is considered to be an accomplice” is not appropriate.

Cohen, a star witness in the case, paid adult film star Stormy Daniels to keep quiet about her alleged affair with Trump ahead of the 2016 election. Cohen pleaded guilty in 2018 to federal campaign finance charges and was sentenced to three years in prison.

Phillips responded, saying it’s not uncommon for accomplices to testify in subsequent trials for their alleged co-conspirators.

“That’s kind of how a lot of these prosecutions work,” she said.

McGraw responded by pressing Phillip to give him examples of when that has been considered appropriate. She said prosecutors are working to prosecute organized crime “all the time” and rely on co-conspirators often.

“I just, I don’t understand how you can say that because someone … was not prosecuted, that signed a non-prosecution agreement … that information or their testimony cannot be presented before the jury if they were a part of the alleged crime,” Phillip continued.

The host pressed McGraw if he was saying Cohen should not have been allowed to testify in Trump’s trial.

“No, that’s not what I’m saying. I said what I said. I think the fact that he made an agreement to say that he is guilty of the crime that the defendant is being tried for prejudices the jury that ‘Hey, here’s someone that’s supposedly an accomplice that has said, I’m guilty of this,’” McGraw said. “That prejudices a jury about the person that’s currently on trial for the same crime.”

Phillip disagreed, noting that Cohen was not charged with and prosecuted for falsifying business records like Trump was.

Phillip then attempted to steer the conversation back toward McGraw’s recent interview with Trump.
Not going to happen biatch!

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
US Constitution and Bill of Rights also in there, as well as the chorus of Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" (lol).
This was literally an advertised feature of it. Not surprised it's poor quality and overpriced, though.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
A well-known Christian Bible reviewer on YouTube reviews the 'God Bless the USA' Bible that Donald Trump recently endorsed.
Aw, bless, he's so pleasant and polite about demolishing that Bible in the review: he comes across as a thoroughly nice fellow.

Not surprised it's poor quality and overpriced, though.
No indeed. It is, after all, a repeated feature of Trump tie-in products. Arguably, of course, that's a lot of the point of that sort of branding: rely on the name to shift stuff that otherwise should not sell at that price.

I wonder what Jesus would say about that?

Reactions: Silvanus

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I think there's a possibility that the defence lawyers had their hands tied by their client.

For instance, your client might insist you try to prove that witnesses are lying, even if it is ineffective, possibly even counterproductive. Maybe you could basically concede the crime and instead argue to have the charges downgraded from a felony to misdemeanour, but your client refuses to concede an inch. And, well, your client is paying, so maybe you just do the best with the limitations they have set.

Yeah, I couldn't believe they actually had to waste time proving that Trump and Stormy had an sex interaction because Trump said he didn't know her. Not that he didn't have sex. That they didn't meet.

It's like him pretending he didn't say, 'Lock her up'. Either he has dementia or has no grip on reality

Reactions: Agema

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Or he's just used to being able to obviously lie without it being a problem for him.
More this, I think. Although not just that.

I think Trump has a very dangerous psychological need to attack anything that opposes or resists him: lashing out, holding grudges and extreme vengefulness with little consideration of the consequences, including to himself. Stormy Daniels defied and maybe even humiliated him, and so she must be attacked even to the level of absurdity.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Or he's just used to being able to obviously lie without it being a problem for him.
More this, I think. Although not just that.

I think Trump has a very dangerous psychological need to attack anything that opposes or resists him: lashing out, holding grudges and extreme vengefulness with little consideration of the consequences, including to himself. Stormy Daniels defied and maybe even humiliated him, and so she must be attacked even to the level of absurdity.
So he is being a total biatch? That checks out.