Trump ordered to pay $350 million for fraudulent business practices in New York

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with what you're saying, the Republican party is no less partisan nor petty, but I'd add two caveats: first, countless rich and noisy Republicans don't have Democrats breathing down their neck because they don't live in New York; second, the hypothetical Republicans digging into Democrat Trump do not currently have the institutional power to make something like this happen.
How many of those rich and noisy Republicans are former Presidents/Presidential candidates?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
To be fair, Trump claims that as president he has "total authority" and total immunity, e.g. such as being able to pardon himself, and many more openly authoritarian expressions. Speaks like an authoritarian, acts like an authoritarian... Also, I can't help but notice his massively dishonest campaign to wrongfully present an election as fraudulent, and running several schemes to overturn the public vote - some of which he is facing charges over. So he's already attempted to cheat democracy.

I think it safe to say that the USA would probably emerge from another four years of Trump still a democracy, but that's because the institutions of state in the USA would be strong enough to constrain Trump. However, it would be even better for those institutions not to be tested in the first place.
PROBABLY!?!? Can we stop with the hyperbole at some point because this is just ridiculous. Most people get drunk on power/greed/[insert other sin], that's why you have to build systems to stop/mitigate such things from happening.

The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them. To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Also:

I once threw a ball at a window and the window didn't break so, henceforth, no windows will ever be broken by balls again.
If I throw a ball at a window 100 times and it doesn't break, why would it break the 101st time?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Most people get drunk on power/greed/[insert other sin], that's why you have to build systems to stop/mitigate such things from happening.
Yes, that's basically what I said. However, anyone who observes history would notice that many, many such systems have eventually failed. It's merely complacency for anyone to believe that their system is immune to failure.

I'd also point out that the boundary between democracy and non-democracy isn't always clear. There can often be a sort of grey area of impaired democracies. Secondly that countries don't go from happy, well functioning democracies to dictatorship overnight. They gradually decay, get undermined, etc. over the course of years. My position on Trump more precisely is not that he will end democracy in some binary "democracy / not democracy" sense, but that he is likely to damage it. I think he damaged it in Trump 1, and Trump 2 has the potential to be even worse.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yes, that's basically what I said. However, anyone who observes history would notice that many, many such systems have eventually failed. It's merely complacency for anyone to believe that their system is immune to failure.

I'd also point out that the boundary between democracy and non-democracy isn't always clear. There can often be a sort of grey area of impaired democracies. Secondly that countries don't go from happy, well functioning democracies to dictatorship overnight. They gradually decay, get undermined, etc. over the course of years. My position on Trump more precisely is not that he will end democracy in some binary "democracy / not democracy" sense, but that he is likely to damage it. I think he damaged it in Trump 1, and Trump 2 has the potential to be even worse.
And the democrats are the ones saying we should limit democracy now to save democracy, you're acting like democrats themselves can't lead us down that road either. Ever think maybe you're the baddies?

How does anyone get run over when crossing the road given all the times they crossed the road without getting run over?
Just because something can happen, doesn't mean it will. You can get killed on your way to vote, I guess people shouldn't vote then. This is the dumb logic you guys are using to try to prove your viewpoint, not me.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
This will be worth nothing when the Saudis, the Russians, China, and or insert corrupt dictatorship pay off Trump & Co. after Trump gets a second term if he wins. But because some people like Fani Willis picked their former boyfriends to be the lead prosecutor. This may be pointless.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
PROBABLY!?!? Can we stop with the hyperbole at some point because this is just ridiculous. Most people get drunk on power/greed/[insert other sin], that's why you have to build systems to stop/mitigate such things from happening.
The systems you build are only as good as the people enforcing them. Republicans seem to be perfectly content to disregard any laws necessary to get Trump into the white house again.

If I throw a ball at a window 100 times and it doesn't break, why would it break the 101st time?
Sounds like you've never heard of Garry Hoy.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The systems you build are only as good as the people enforcing them. Republicans seem to be perfectly content to disregard any laws necessary to get Trump into the white house again.

Sounds like you've never heard of Garry Hoy.

Didn't all the people Trump called (that included Republicans) say no to disregarding such laws?

Also, democrats be like...

Just stop with hypocrisy.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Didn't all the people Trump called (that included Republicans) say no to disregarding such laws?

Also, democrats be like...

Just stop with hypocrisy.
Let's be real, neither Dean Phillips nor Marianne Williamson are serious candidates. As far as I know, Dean Phillips entered the race so late that he passed the deadline for even having his name on some state ballots.

And if you have a problem with this, you should have even more of a problem with the Republican presidential primary in Nevada. The Florida law you're complaining about has been in place for decades and was used back when Bush was running for office. On the other hand, Nevada Republicans changed state laws for this election just so they could caucus for Trump, and so that he wouldn't have to compete directly against Nikki Haley. Disingenuous much?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Let's be real, neither Dean Phillips nor Marianne Williamson are serious candidates. As far as I know, Dean Phillips entered the race so late that he passed the deadline for even having his name on some state ballots.

And if you have a problem with this, you should have even more of a problem with the Republican presidential primary in Nevada. The Florida law you're complaining about has been in place for decades and was used back when Bush was running for office. On the other hand, Nevada Republicans changed state laws for this election just so they could caucus for Trump, and so that he wouldn't have to compete directly against Nikki Haley. Disingenuous much?
You do realize I don't have a team right? I don't like republicans either. I don't understand how anyone can vote for either party honestly. I don't get how one side can act like their side is so good when they are just best of the worst in essence. Pointing out stuff the republicans do when the democrats do the same thing is just nothing but irrationality to me. It's essentially the console wars but for adults. Being so invested in the democrats or republicans is the same as being a Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft fanboy, they don't care about you so why do you care about them? AAA gaming went to shit regardless of who won didn't it? The trick is they are still convincing you to vote for one of them, they honestly don't care who you vote for (hence why major campaign funders fund both parties).

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You do realize I don't have a team right? I don't like republicans either. I don't understand how anyone can vote for either party honestly. I don't get how one side can act like their side is so good when they are just best of the worst in essence. Pointing out stuff the republicans do when the democrats do the same thing is just nothing but irrationality to me. It's essentially the console wars but for adults. Being so invested in the democrats or republicans is the same as being a Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft fanboy, they don't care about you so why do you care about them? AAA gaming went to shit regardless of who won didn't it? The trick is they are still convincing you to vote for one of them, they honestly don't care who you vote for (hence why major campaign funders fund both parties).
I don't care for the democrats either, but the lesser of 2 evils is still the lesser of 2 evils, especially when one side is chaotic evil and one side is lawful evil. Trump does not believe in the rule of law and thinks that he is above the law, and by extension the Republican party that has built itself around Trump believes the same thing.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
And the democrats are the ones saying we should limit democracy now to save democracy, you're acting like democrats themselves can't lead us down that road either. Ever think maybe you're the baddies?
We already do that. We already cannot elect someone who is younger then 35 or from another country even if they become a citizen. We also have rules saying you aren't allowed on the ballet for insurrection and we have a presidential hopeful who just happened to kinda lead an insurrection. Well, lead is a strong word, but he certainly directed it and didn't do the bare minimum to stop it when it was his cultists doing it. If he didn't want to be knocked off ballots then he shouldn't have done the crime.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
You do understand the difference between a party selecting its candidates and an actual democratic election?

You do realize I don't have a team right? I don't like republicans either. I don't understand how anyone can vote for either party honestly. I don't get how one side can act like their side is so good when they are just best of the worst in essence. Pointing out stuff the republicans do when the democrats do the same thing is just nothing but irrationality to me. It's essentially the console wars but for adults. Being so invested in the democrats or republicans is the same as being a Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft fanboy, they don't care about you so why do you care about them? AAA gaming went to shit regardless of who won didn't it?
Ever think that your "but both sides..." mindset blinds you to very real differences in qualities and attitudes between candidates and parties?

To give an example of how little sense of proportion you can have, Trump ran a systematic, months-long campaign to sow doubt in Americans' trust in the election including numerous actual plots to interfere with, delay or even prevent Biden's election, culminating in a mob storming the Capitol. And you've commented that this is equivalent to Hillary saying that Trump was an "illegitimate" president in a media interview.

Last edited:

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
And you've commented that this is equivalent to Hillary saying that Trump was an "illegitimate" president in a media interview.
And paying foreign spies to launder fake information tying Trump to Russia to try to influence the election in her favor, information that would ultimately lead to a 3 year special investigation with the hope of impeachment... and encouraged faithless electors to flip against the democratic vote... and had Democratic senators try to reject the electors on January 6th 2017... and Democratic backed mobs have stormed major government buildings dozens of times... Hillary's husband pardoned people who literally bombed the Senate...

Months-long campaign to sow doubt in the democratic process? Democrats have done that with every Republican presidency of my life, start to finish, with the briefest of exceptions after 9/11. As always, the thing Democrats complain about Trump doing is something they are guilty of 100 times over, and are just upset that they can't conduct asymmetrical warfare against people trying to take the high road, just like Lyndon Johnson did in 1964.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
And paying foreign spies to launder fake information tying Trump to Russia to try to influence the election in her favor, information that would ultimately lead to a 3 year special investigation with the hope of impeachment... and encouraged faithless electors to flip against the democratic vote... and had Democratic senators try to reject the electors on January 6th 2017... and Democratic backed mobs have stormed major government buildings dozens of times... Hillary's husband pardoned people who literally bombed the Senate...

Months-long campaign to sow doubt in the democratic process? Democrats have done that with every Republican presidency of my life, start to finish, with the briefest of exceptions after 9/11. As always, the thing Democrats complain about Trump doing is something they are guilty of 100 times over, and are just upset that they can't conduct asymmetrical warfare against people trying to take the high road, just like Lyndon Johnson did in 1964.
None of these are anything close to the scope of Trump 2020, and you know it. It stinks of a kind of dishonesty to even try it. (The closest you might get is 2000, with the circumstances of an election hanging on a few hundred votes in one state, where SCOTUS ruled on a 5-4 party-aligned vote to de facto put Bush Jr. into power with a ruling so unreliable that they stated it should not have precedent.)

Just to illustrate here, with
And paying foreign spies to launder fake information tying Trump to Russia to try to influence the election in her favor
are you telling us that it has not been routine for pretty much everyone to dig dirt on their opponents, for decades? Are you serious?

The end result of you trying to normalise ever-worsening conduct is that things will probably just get worse. If you want to play that game every time your side ups the ante, it just tells us that at core you have no real principles on this issue.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
'I don't have a team and dislike republicans' says man who only ever spouts conservative talking points, disregards progressive ideals, and ignores facts that disprove republican fear mongering.

... uh huh.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
'I don't have a team and dislike republicans' says man who only ever spouts conservative talking points, disregards progressive ideals, and ignores facts that disprove republican fear mongering.

... uh huh.
Not uncommon, I suspect that some people (though not necessarily the person you are talking about) think they are fair and impartial, can see lots of reasons to hate the GOP, but just happen to end up supporting them all the time.

IIRC, Catnip, on the old forum, was certain they weren't a Trump supporter, but always supported Trump.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Not uncommon, I suspect that some people (though not necessarily the person you are talking about) think they are fair and impartial, can see lots of reasons to hate the GOP, but just happen to end up supporting them all the time.

IIRC, Catnip, on the old forum, was certain they weren't a Trump supporter, but always supported Trump.
Maybe if you're unaware of the political landscape... But if you're constantly arguing for republicans and against democrates, yet claim you think both are equally bad, I'm gonna have to call bullshit.

Just come out and say it, don't hide behind this Tim Pool "centrism", it's fine. Well I mean, it's not fine, because republicans fucking suck, but in an argument it's best not jerk the other party around by acting like you're not.

And I can't remember Catnip much other than the name, but if they were constantly supporting Trump despite claiming they weren't a Trump supporter, they were a Trump supporter.