Try to Spot All the Game References In This Music Video

jamesmax

Aug 25, 2009
I liked the music Its not about $ not like all the songs now adays

dont know why lots of you are saying it sucks

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Let's see I saw references to Sonic, Mario, Q*Bert, Pac Man, Donkey Kong, GTA, Katamari, Bomberman, Metal Gear Solid, Duck Hunt, Angry Birds, Bubble Bobble, Excitebike, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Minecraft (I think), I'm guessing Scott Pilgrim, and there were several I knew were game references I just couldn't recognize the games they were referencing.

Edit: As for individual references, I counted roughly 31.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
cool :p

and the cactus was from Final Fantasy X (or maybe 12 not too sure)
thats pretty much all i know that hasnt been mentioned already.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I saw this a bit earlier on YouTube, but this time i actually tired to spot the different references. And most of them went totally by my head...
But I was surprised i didn't saw Keyboard Cat the first time.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Wait, who is that at 2:13? I'm going to randomly guess Weird Al. Not my style of music, but it's much better then anything my sister listens to.

Jim-a-Lim

Jan 10, 2009
poiumty said:
I can't spot many. The shitty music keeps me from enjoying the video.
I'm sorry are you serious? :O!!!

IMO the music was cool and the vid was great :D - now to throw up on the ol' book of face...

Feb 13, 2008
Few you might have missed:

0:34 Is Parodius
0:39 is Elevator Action
0:43 is Pitfall, Mortal Kombat(or Marvel vs Capcom), and either Kung Fu Master or Another World (stomping scorpions with a foot sweep)
0:45 Q*bert
0;47 The backgrounds is from Two Crude Dudes, I believe.
1:04 is Splatterhouse/Killer Instinct
1:13 The Girl Boss throwing up is probably based on Vice or Mature from KOF, who has that as one of her winning poses.
(mostly got by people earlier)
2:06 E.Honda
3:00 Effing Hail
3:02 I know that flag is relevant but...
3:10 Moonwalker
3:19 (and most of that sequence is Primal Rage/Rampage)

Probably more I missed :)

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Duck Hunt and Angry Birds hasn't been mentioned i think

On top of the building is Mega Man
The way the seize is the way the simpsons did when you lost in the arcade game.

Nice vid.

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
Pretty nifty.

The only thing that's bothering me: At 1:49, I thought that guy on the far left looked an awful lot like Tintin. Looks a little more like him at 2:36 during that slowdown part.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Damn that was pretty cool. Couldn't be bothered listing all the referencesa I spotted (they've probably been mentioned already anyway).

Music was fine as well, tempted to hunt it down now...:)

Either that or I could demonstrate how pretentious and dull I am by going "Oh, this song sucks pleae pay attention to me I havenorealfriendswawawawawah *cry* emochild".

Pffft.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Looks like a great project for all those OCD personality types here at The Escapist :)

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
These dudes at Mahalo did a pretty good side-by-side. They still missed a couple but they got most of it right!

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Well, I spotted 42.

...Oh hey look I made a reference too (on accident)

I like the video. ..Even if it is sort of messed up >_>

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
2:22 - LUDICROUS GIBS!

Thank you, Rise of the Triad. For those ludicrous gibs. They're truly the best. Also a big fan of the Fist of the North Star (or possibly God hand) with the Mario Star. Combining references makes it even nerdier!

Also, fairly certain the final scene is meant to reference Neverhood, as the face styles seem a lot like their brand of claymation. Then again, I don't currently own Clayfighters so I dunno. I will say they mostly focused on console games, but at the same time, they had a pretty big range of references, soooo, it's anyone's guess.

Edit: Is that Gish hiding in the Q*Bert stage? (0:44)

More Edit: While I'm at it, 1:08 MIGHT be a Disgaea reference, as I can't think of any other games that use team ups in that way. I'm sure there is, but I'm not familiar with it.

Revenge of the Edit: Well, apparently, if you look closely at the glass wall at 1:04, you can see the main character from Dig Dug, pumping up, as it were.