Trying things on a whim......and having them hit you like a train.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Have you ever just tried something out of sheer curiosity, or even out of there being nothing else that you wanted to do/watch/play, only to get fully involved and have it impact on you.

Well, this one is a bit sad, but having gotten Clannad, I started to watch it and felt that it seemed like another slice-of-life high school anime, it put me off a bit in the first place as it seemed a bit, for lack of a better word, "girly". But I watched it, I laughed quite a bit, and enjoyed it, nothing major I thought.

Then came Clannad After Story, and my god, it blew me away. Seeing as the weathers been appauling, I watched the entire thing in a day and by the end there were tears streaming. Not since Code Geass did bits of moving colours and lights move me in a way and make me give a toss about what happened to a bunch of fictional people. I urge anyone who hasn't seen/contemplated seeing it to give it a go.

But I go on, so as stated earlier, have you ever just tried something on a whim and then end up having them impact on you?

Heres to spontaneity!!

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
Firefly,
I borrowed a mates box-set on his recommendation and then spent the entire night watching through the entire series.
Same thing actually happened with full metal alchemist (although that took more than one all nighter to get through).

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
On a whim is how I bought my favorite game. My and my sister were just looking for something new to play since we had finished all our PS2 games and we were in Reykjavík, and then some game caught our eye. And that game was Kingdom Hearts. And since two days after we bought it and got home I have loved it ever since.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Allow me to be the first of many to say: My Little Pony. Can't really think of anything else. I'm rather poor, so I generally consider all purchases carefully before spending any money.

EDIT: Wait, just thought of something: vibrators.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Deadwood. People kept recommending it to me, and one day I thought "What have I got to lose except a few hours". Al Swearengen is now one of my favourite characters ever.

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
On a whim I listened to "Jesus Walks" by Kanye West, 'cause I thought the title sounded interesting. It was the first hip-hop song I'd heard in about 5 years. I now own all of his albums, and hip-hop as a whole has become one of my favourite genres.

For a guy who spent high school listening to exclusively metal, that's a pretty big step!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
H2O: Just add water.[footnote]Best Australian show about 3 teenaged mermaid girls with magic powers ever[/footnote] Surprisingly well written for a kid's show. And dark, when they use their magic powers to harm people, in a serious and not played for laughs way.

Also, Blade Kitten. Which is targeted more at my demographic.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
My love for MLP started off as checking out what the big deal was. I guess you could consider that "on a whim."

DaphneRose

Apr 30, 2011
When I was younger, likewise, I hated serving my community. It meant not watching Saturday cartoons and getting up at 7am on a weekend. But when my mother began her medical mission I decided to put my heart in it and it completely blew me away. Here was a little woman, a secretary, who I thought was an airhead orchestrating this huge event, helping hundreds of people, commanding these teams of doctors, surgeons, nurses, and dentists to help all these people. She gets nothing out of it. In actuality, my family has had to skip a few meals to keep it going. But it's gotten so big and she works so hard to help people. She has all our support. And one day, it'll be my job to keep it going.

It may seem a little silly to everyone else, but what she's done has shaped me. It makes me cry to think about. And, perhaps more importantly, it makes me want to do what I can to help those who need it. If I had been apathetic about the whole thing this would have never of happened, but I'm so glad it did.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Minecraft

Right at the end of Alpha when the whole "Have you heard of Minecraft?" thing peaked, I decided to take a look at the free version.

Needless to say, Minecraft Classic hooked me and by the next day not only had I bought an account for Beta (Like, two days after Alpha ended -.-) but I'd gotten four other friends and my brother too as well :p

I host a server, play on a few other servers, broke the water physics (being one of the first people to get water flowing upwards) and so much more...

SaltyOrange

Apr 28, 2011
DJDarque said:
My love for MLP started off as checking out what the big deal was. I guess you could consider that "on a whim."
This and SG-1.A friend borrowed it to me and I couldn't stop watching it,I would spend hours a day watching episode after episode.

Kyoufuu

Mar 12, 2009
DJDarque said:
Pretty much the story of every brony ever.

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
SwimmingRock said:
Allow me to be the first of many to say: My Little Pony. Can't really think of anything else. I'm rather poor, so I generally consider all purchases carefully before spending any money.
MLP is the very definition of something that is liked/discovered out of curiosity. Well, it was for the first few months, anyway.

So besides that, when I was younger and generally ignorant of what was good/popular, I got GT3 at a garage sale becaue I thought it looked cool. Needless to say, I spent a lot more time on it then I thought I would, and it sparked my interest in driving games.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
Well-Known Anime. I started watching Naruto fights with a friend for fun. Now I'm completely obsessed with it. I've seen every episode of the Kids Naruto and I'm working through Shippuden. Also going to start watching Bleach.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney... I went in knowing only that there were Objection!'s at some point.

It is now my favourite game series ever

Also every anime/manga i've ever seen(a lot btw) was down to me just browsing the archives looking for some half interesting titles.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Kyoufuu said:
DJDarque said:
Pretty much the story of every brony ever.
Eeeh-yep, actually just watched ep1 linked from an Off-Topic thread purely see what the fuss was about (finished the season a couple days later).

Other than that: Ghost in the Shell, watched a couple Standalone episodes out of curiosity, then proceeded to watch the rest of the series over a week. And on an anime/MLP theme, Aria (the anime). Watched the first series since it sounded vaguely interesting, loved it, went on to read the manga (better IMO) and now have a lot of Aria merchandise (figurines and dakimakura excepted).

David Fronk

Jun 7, 2010
Borderlands

I saw the commercials and didn't really care about it at all until a friend borrowed a copy of the game from a roommate and brought it over. I was crazy addicted to that game for months and do not regret a single moment of it.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Being hit by a train. I always wondered what that would be like. Less fun than I expected.

Seriously: Battlestar Galactica (the new one). Over the years I heard that it was really good, and that I should watch it. So one day I borrowed the mini-series DVD, and watched it. It was just so fantastic I went out the very next day and bought the complete DVD box set of all the seasons.