Tumblr Convention "Disaster" Unfolds at Illinois' DashCon

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
You know the whole take that "special snowflakes" SJWs and what not are pretty shallow. I mean pretty sure people are aware that 4chan is not all anon you know know not all of Tumblr are the things you hate. We can do the same with Escapist and any other site that is intellectual laziness come on now people.

As for as tumblr has been concerned I see that most people are putting the blame the organizers which is rightfully so and making lemons out of lemons by turning the ballpit into unsung hero of the whole debacle. So as far as tumblr is handling it people are saying that it was terrible and are making jokes about it no is really panicking.

In nerd hate and superiority while pointless and inevitable is still groan inducing to behold.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
CelestDaer said:
Funny, I've been on tumblr for a while, and this was literally the first mention I've heard of this con... no posts saying it was coming, no hype, no warning... nothing.
That's because it wasn't an official Tumblr con or anything. Basically, some people came up with the idea to organize it and they did (well, they made an attempt). I had no idea about it either, I started seeing posts mocking the whole thing and I had a good laugh, along with thousands of people who reblog the jokes.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Meanwhile, as the fundraiser debacle was unfolding, there were reports (and scattered video record) of confused/upset attendees having turned their ire on the hotel and its staff... by "protest-singing" songs from Les Miserables, flashing "Homestuck gang-signs" and throwing up the Mockingjay Salute from The Hunger Games.
Damn, that sure will show them!

But really, I cringed when reading that.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Ashley Blalock said:
Redlin5 said:
The ball pit is the best part about all of this.

Hey Escapist, can we have a ball pit for expo?
Someone needs to come up with ball pit con. No guests, no panels, just room after room of ball pits.
Oh this reminds me so much of this xkcd:

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
harrisonmcgiggins said:
Hold on, sexually explicit events at a convention?

That just peaked my interest
I just got back from a convention Saturday that had hentai bingo and a live cosplay burlesque show. It was awesome!

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
BX3 said:
erttheking said:
Look, I know that Tumblr is the punching bag of the internet right around now, but can we not indulge in sterotypes?
No. This is the Escapist. Feeling as though we're better than certain groups of people because of that one thing we heard that one time is basically our community's lifeblood... y'know, like Tumblr.
... So in short, we're Something Awful, but without the paywall.

OT: This has got to be absolutely glorious. I am sorry for the folks who paid for stuff like Night Vale, but really- this was the only thing anyone could expect from the ever-expanding social justice trainwreck that is Tumblr.

Still a nice place for some cosplay for GOOD things, though- saw a great Corvo/Daud combo cosplay (Not romantic, just two people who saw each other at a con) last month. And there are some good jokes there.

That's the thing about Tumblr- it's honestly OK if you don't ever find yourself talking to one of the more... radical feminists.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
ayvee said:
Kyogissun said:
I don't think this is going anywhere since we're arguing anecdotes, but. Do you really think that you appear unbiased after saying things like "And until that part of tumblr has its face stomped in and is put in a cage where it belongs" ?
Honestly? Yes, because they've been responded to with apologies and kindness before... To which they responded to by spitting back in the faces of those who offered it. Look at Wil Wheaton's apology for his supposed 'cultural appropriation':

http://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/76188837092/hi-wil-im-not-trying-to-be-antagonizing-you-seem-to

He apologizes for something he was KINDLY informed of using inappropriately and what happens? They 'continue' to chew him out. They show a continued favoritism towards hostility and attacking those they disagree with and frankly, this is just the ONE of MANY situations but the primary one I can think of off the top of my head.

When it comes to these kinds of people, it's 'never' enough. They want to continue to whine and kick and scream about whatever it is their feelings were hurt over.

And you know what? I will acknowledge that my choice of words is a bit overdramatic and exaggerated. They METAPHORICALLY need their faces stomped in and need to be locked in a cage. So honestly, I say that the trolling that has been done to bait these people into showing their true colors, like the July 4th raid on 4chan, #endfathersday and another more recent one making the rounds, I am firmly in the belief they deserve whatever non-physical harm based backlash is coming their way. This group of radical activists on the internet have gone for too long without some well due karma coming their way and the shit they're going through right now, they completely deserve.

But this has nothing to do with Dashcon so it's best we drop the topic. It's absolutely horrible that the people running that event scammed all the people they did out of their money and will probably be able to sweep it under the rug like they apparently already have tried and are continuing to do. What the SMART thing to do is NEVER let anyone forget. Reblog ball pit pictures everytime a tumblr based convention is brought up, point to the '$17,000' tumblr, just do not let those 'kids' forget how much they screwed up... Because unless they learn from past mistakes, they'll do the SAME thing AGAIN.

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
Kyogissun said:
Setting all of that aside, since it's secondary to the point I was making. I'm just saying it's kind of bizarre that you're willing to talk like this, but finding specific blogs is where you draw the "bias" line. If you really think that you are unbiased in this matter, then you probably need to do some re-evaluating. (otherwise you come across a bit like "well it's OKAY to harbor extremely generalized feelings of intense hatred at THEM. Look at my dissertation on how problematic they all are!!" which sounds a bit familiar)

Also, for what it's worth, posts where people harass creators or do things like misapply the concept of cultural appropriation get absolutely torn apart by other parts of the community (and said teardowns are then reblogged for great truth).

I still maintain that you are picking on the actions of a very small number of people and, in so doing, giving them considerably more weight and presence than they would otherwise have.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Is it possible to be intoxicated by schadenfreude?

Because that's basically how gleefully manic my evil smile is right now.

Picture the Joker laughing himself silly at a burning building.

A quote from the The Witcher 2 sums it up nicely:

'It resembles a whorehouse on fire'

Apr 28, 2008
So, assuming anyone reads this, I found this post by a guy who was on 10 panels at this con.

http://markdoesstuff.tumblr.com/post/91769561890/i-was-at-dashcon-an-unnecessary-q-a-with-myself

Going by his experience, it seems it wasn't the massive clusterfuck everyone's making it out to be. Still a mess, but not TOTALLY awful.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
Boba Frag said:
Is it possible to be intoxicated by schadenfreude?
Short answer, yes.

Beyond the comedy value there isn't really much added to a conversation about this that hasn't already probably been hashed out a dozen or more times on Timbjr. More significantly though it wasn't apparently a complete waste of time, it was just poorly organised and poorly set up.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I think even goddamn 9gag could've done a better than this.

Also, there was supposedly an orgy. Many people got crabs.

Piorn said:
This has to be fake. Please tell me the text was added later. That's the worst case of Chuunibyou I've ever read.

Edit: So I just read them again and I'm pretty sure they're mocking them. Some are just hilarious. These really can't be real.
It's a reference to images such as this:

Like most things online, this trend probably originated from 4chan.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
What else would you expect from a bunch of crazy SuperWhoLock fans? That's one of the worst fandoms there are. Even worse, they expected all of the other committees to practically conform to their own ideas for the convention and not to mention they were stupid enough to think that they could get Benedict Cumberbatch.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
TheIceQueen said:
What else would you expect from a bunch of crazy SuperWhoLock fans? That's one of the worst fandoms there are. Even worse, they expected all of the other committees to practically conform to their own ideas for the convention and not to mention they were stupid enough to think that they could get Benedict Cumberbatch.
What the hell is superwholock? The original things I heard about it, I thought it were just a jokes about crazy tumblr fandoms but it's real?

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
th3dark3rsh33p said:
TheIceQueen said:
What the hell is superwholock? The original things I heard about it, I thought it was just a joke about crazy tumblr fandoms but it's real?
It's a fandom that combines three shows into one amalgum of a fandom: Supernatural, Doctor Who, and Sherlock. It's a fan-created crossover universe. As such, it combines all the craziness found in each show's own fandom into one super nutso fanbase that MLP fans could only hope to dream of being that insane.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
TheIceQueen said:
th3dark3rsh33p said:
TheIceQueen said:
What the hell is superwholock? The original things I heard about it, I thought it was just a joke about crazy tumblr fandoms but it's real?
It's a fandom that combines three shows into one amalgum of a fandom: Supernatural, Doctor Who, and Sherlock. It's a fan-created crossover universe. As such, it combines all the craziness found in each show's own fandom into one super nutso fanbase that MLP fans could only hope to dream of being that insane.
Dear lord...that sounds just... awful.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
All the rumors and memes got me pretty interested in figuring out what, exactly, happened that was so amazing.

From what I've been able to find from firsthand sources, the whole event was indeed a logistical nightmare, and the admins who ran the event were inexperienced and careless, but a lot of the doom and gloom is exaggerated, including claims that started circulating hours before the events in question even happened to begin with (such as complaints about minors attending the 18+ panels)

http://markdoesstuff.tumblr.com/post/91769561890/i-was-at-dashcon-an-unnecessary-q-a-with-myself

This was a good counterpoint to some of the anti-hype going around, from a gentleman who ran some of the panels in question.

Not saying his version of events is the correct one, mind. I'm not emotionally invested enough in this event to pick sides. XD Just figured I'd throw something moderate out.