Turing The Premises

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Turing The Premises

It's around this time that computers start growing her on their processors.

Read Full Article

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Well, that can also pass as your average 25 year old dudebro. Or your average 4chan user.

On another note, I now know "ageism" is an actual thing.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Looks like you 2 really wanted to have some fun with tags on this comic.

OT: Funny comic as always great way to wake up

Mirthen

Mar 20, 2013
I have a strange Déjà vu. I feel like I have seen this joke a few days ago.
Ah found it: http://hijinksensue.com/comic/more-human-than-human/

Did something turing test related happen?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Mirthen said:
I have a strange Déjà vu. I feel like I have seen this joke a few days ago.
Ah found it: http://hijinksensue.com/comic/more-human-than-human/

Did something turing test related happen?
Yes. Or to be more accurate, no. It's linked below the comic.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Can I just say that I had many, many suspicions about the Turing Test story? I have trumpeted my distrust of AI for years, after all...

Anyway, this was the first thing that popped to my head as well. :D

vid87

May 17, 2010
I regularly enjoy this series but this was a real solid one based solely on the last 2 panels.

Mirthen

Mar 20, 2013
Scars Unseen said:
It's linked below the comic.
Thanks, somehow I didn't see that link. (And totally missed this whole story)

It's a bit sad that there were reporters who believed this without checking for the original rules of the turing test or prior "attempts" at passing it.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
An admittedly obvious joke made really funny by great execution.

Nothing more to say really, good work guys.

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
Oh cleverbot.

U R A ******.
That is what I think of you. And if you don't know that question then you aren't a person but a computer or a really smart dog.
U R A ******.
Eh?! What file?
U R A ******.
What is that?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Ehm...well, what can I say. I get it, it's a satire/stab, but...a Turing test isn't really run on such a short exchange.

So, okay for an easy laugh (I laughed!), but I hope people don't take it as a credible source about how the entire process works (because, goodness knows, this is the internet and people are just....people)

DestinyCall

May 5, 2009
The thing that always bothered me about the Turning Test as a metric for artificial intelligence is that I feel like many representations of sentient AI in science fiction would actually fail such a test. Fantasy AI often have stilted speech patterns and obvious distinguishing characteristics, like a lack of emotion or inability to understand human motives. They are still portrayed as sentient, but very obviously inhuman.

On the flip side, even if someone made a sufficiently complex chatbot that could mimic idle conversation and parrot back reasonable responses, that doesn't mean the program is actually "thinking" independently. Like a conversation with Cleverbot, the illusion of sentience vanishes when it eventually throws a non-sequitur and it becomes clear that the machine has no awareness behind its mimicry.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Alan Turing's death had its 60th anniversary three days ago. During his short life Alan Turing was discriminated against, victimised, indicted, institutionalised against his will, forced to take hormones and chemically castrated because he was homosexual. All of this in spite of his contribution to the war effort against the Nazis.

Because of the hormones he developed breasts, something he very likely didn't take well because he was a very athletic runner and tennis player before.

Also he developed a severe depression and took his own life by taking cyanide.

I don't think his legacy is served well by making a joke like "lulz, homophobic teenagers" almost on the anniversary of his death especially with the circumstances in his life.

I'm not saying this was the intention of Cory and Grey. I just would've wished for a bit more sensitivity.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
I'd say about 70% of the episodes of this comic don't hit for me, but every once in a while they get it right. This was definitely a good one. The heart of well-executed satire: exaggerate the ridiculous aspect of something while also playing it completely seriously.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
And I'm tempted to just spam Adult Privilege to see how many people would die of alcohol poisoning.