Turing The Premises

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I love how you linked to the Techdirt article about how this is bullshit on a website that itself reported that bullshit.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Ah, Kevin Bloody Warwick, an embarrassment to scientists in general, and cyberneticists and AI researchers in particular. And yet more proof (as if we needed any) that as long as you have tenure you can be barking mad and it doesn't matter. Remind me to continue encouraging prospective University students to avoid Reading like the plague.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
SL33TBL1ND said:
I love how you linked to the Techdirt article about how this is bullshit on a website that itself reported that bullshit.
That's the unfortunate consequence of a light-entertainment site running hard science articles. Science-stuff brings in big hits, but few sites have the time, staff and qualifications to vet that shit properly.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
RoonMian said:
Alan Turing's death had its 60th anniversary three days ago. During his short life Alan Turing was discriminated against, victimised, indicted, institutionalised against his will, forced to take hormones and chemically castrated because he was homosexual. All of this in spite of his contribution to the war effort against the Nazis.

Because of the hormones he developed breasts, something he very likely didn't take well because he was a very athletic runner and tennis player before.
For historical accuracy, I am NOT saying it was OK by any stretch of the imagination, he got the choice between 1 year of house arrest or 1 year of chemical castration (for reducing his labido) because he had sex with another man, not just because he was homosexual.
It was NOT a lifetime of jail or castration as many think it was.
Also he developed a severe depression and took his own life by taking cyanide.
They never actually tested for that, it was just assumed with his purchase of cyanide and the bite of the apple.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
The Wooster said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
That's the unfortunate consequence of a light-entertainment site running hard science articles. Science-stuff brings in big hits, but few sites have the time, staff and qualifications to vet that shit properly.
Well you could start by automatically binning stuff that mentions the University of Reading or Kevin Bloody Warrick. Brigam Young University is another with a history of stretching the truth. Or don't reprint them at all, or reprint only from sites that bother to do their research, like Techdirt.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Boris Goodenough said:
RoonMian said:
Alan Turing's death had its 60th anniversary three days ago. During his short life Alan Turing was discriminated against, victimised, indicted, institutionalised against his will, forced to take hormones and chemically castrated because he was homosexual. All of this in spite of his contribution to the war effort against the Nazis.

Because of the hormones he developed breasts, something he very likely didn't take well because he was a very athletic runner and tennis player before.
For historical accuracy, I am NOT saying it was OK by any stretch of the imagination, he got the choice between 1 year of house arrest or 1 year of chemical castration (for reducing his labido) because he had sex with another man, not just because he was homosexual.
It was NOT a lifetime of jail or castration as many think it was.
Also he developed a severe depression and took his own life by taking cyanide.
They never actually tested for that, it was just assumed with his purchase of cyanide and the bite of the apple.
Well, he kinda was castrated for the rest of his life because he died a bit over a year later.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
Ha ha! Irony.
Mirthen said:
I have a strange Déjà vu. I feel like I have seen this joke a few days ago.
Ah found it: http://hijinksensue.com/comic/more-human-than-human/

Did something turing test related happen?
Yeah, that's where I first saw that joke. And Hijinks Ensue did it much funnier.